RE: Hammock Camping Bottom Almost Quilt for HH...

    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 6, 2003
      Message
      Good thinking Deb, but one can easily position the PeaPod the prevent this sag.  Since the PeaPod and my hammock both have Velcro along the long edges, the PeaPod can be Velcroed to one edge of the hammock and the other edge can be tucked inside the hammock far enought to eliminate the unwanted air space bleow.  Of course when the PePod is fully wrapped around the hammock, there is no botom sag anyway.

      And yes, I often keep the PeaPod and hammock together and stuff them together into my pack.  On a recent trip, my partner used the Moonbow Gearskin pack which easily allowed him to stuff the PeaPod, hammock, sleep pads, and sleeping bag all together into the pack at the same time--it was very simple and took only 1-2 minutes from take down to be fully packed!  Sure beats stuffing gear into tiny stuff bags on cold mornings!...Ed
      Ed, what about an easy modification of the PeaPod to add mitten
      hooks or toggles to the inside of the Peapod along the edges of the
      hammock so that the PeaPod could be left open but attached to the
      hammock in a way that it couldn't sag.  This would mimick the
      underquilts people are designing for the Hennessey and provide
      more flexibility.  Also, do you ever keep the PeaPod attached to
      your hammock and stuff the whole thing together?  Or roll up the
      hammock with foam pad inside?
    • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 6, 2003
        After my post yesterday... Thanks to all who responded with great
        ideas, I got an email off list pointing me to the Garlington
        insulator, a "taco" shell hanging below the hammock. R. Garlington
        (first name unknown to me) has a site describing the contraption at:

        http://www.mindspring.com/~rgarling/Insulator.htm

        I built one last night, having a bit of silnylon on hand for a
        project I will not do, and hope to test it soon in our cold weather.

        Ed mentioned in his post that insulation is inefficient if a lot of
        sag exists between the hammock and the insulation. Great point, that
        I had forgotten. Since the warmth will be due to my body heating up
        the insulation area, a large space will take more energy to heat than
        a rather small space. (Vpor barrier warming methods are the ultamet
        end of this line of reasoning.) But having a couple inches of dead
        space can take less energy than having many inches of dead space...
        if there is little gradient across that dead space... ie if the space
        is not filled with many little spaces like down.

        The other problem is movement in the space. The more the space moves
        around, the more mixing occurs, and the more heat is lost by the
        enhanced convection.

        The Garlington insulator attempts to minimize this motion and a
        uniformly medium thick layer of dead space by sandwitching plastic
        gargage bags, partly inflated with air between the hammock and a
        silnylon shell.

        Well, its a great theory. And it is going to be cold tonight...
        maybe too cold at 10, but I may get a data point tonight or soon.