Drop stitched bottom hammock?

  • ibeboatin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2004
      Anyone ever think of using drop stitching as a method of making a
      double bottom for warmth in a hammock? I seem to recall that stich is
      used to create an extremely durable floor for w/water rafts. This
      idea may be impractical or too pie in the sky, but perhaps may be
      adaptable.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2004
        ibeboatin wrote:

        > Anyone ever think of using drop stitching as a method of making a
        >double bottom for warmth in a hammock? I seem to recall that stich is
        >used to create an extremely durable floor for w/water rafts. This
        >idea may be impractical or too pie in the sky, but perhaps may be
        >adaptable.

        From talking with Ed, his experience is that stitching may pull
        through fabric, making the fabric fail. The other possibility is that
        the needle is causing enough damage to the cloth that it fails. My
        recent experiments using zigzag stitches are an attempt to answer the
        question. The zig zag stitch will stretch with the fabric by opening
        the angles of the stitch. The stitch does not have the opportunity to
        pull on the fabric.

        Needless to say, I do not have enough experience with any of the
        hammocks I have put insulation on the bottom of, to make any
        pronouncement about the stitch and the cloth strength yet. I do not see
        any indication yet that the stitch is pulling on the fabric, opening the
        weave, or that the needle holes are enlarging. I am encouraged.
        However, I feel that putting stitches in the body of the hammock is
        still experimental. I would not advise it, unless experimenting (with
        occasional failures) is in keeping with one's temperament.

        I say all this, because the problem is not the that the stitch is weak,
        but that a straight stitch is so strong that it can tear the hammock
        material.

        Rick
      • Matthew Takeda
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2004
          Rick wrote:
          >ibeboatin wrote:
          > > Anyone ever think of using drop stitching as a method of making a
          > >double bottom for warmth in a hammock? I seem to recall that stich is
          > >used to create an extremely durable floor for w/water rafts. This
          > >idea may be impractical or too pie in the sky, but perhaps may be
          > >adaptable.
          >
          > From talking with Ed, his experience is that stitching may pull
          >through fabric, making the fabric fail.

          Drop-stitch has nothing to do with stitching. It's a form of weave (well,
          it could also be a knitting technique, but thats not what we're talking
          about here). Drop-stitch is a material that uses about 60 equal length
          threads per square inch, that weave through the interior of the top and
          bottom scrim that forms the base fabric of drop stitch. The outside of the
          drop-stitch layers can be coated top & bottom with rubber, urethane, pvc,
          or any other flexible coating that might match the boat manufacturer's use.
          When the edges are sealed with an air valve installed, and you inflate a
          drop stitch pad, you get an ironing board flat surface that will be either
          2.6, 3.9, or 5.7 inches thick depending on which drop-stitch material was
          used. And you get a fairly firm floor even at a low pressure of 1 to 1.5
          p.s.i., making it highly desirable for use in sportboats. For our purposes,
          however, it is very heavy.

          Matthew Takeda
          the JOAT
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 26, 2004
            Matthew Takeda wrote:
            Rick wrote:

            ibeboatin wrote:

            Anyone ever think of using drop stitching as a method of making a
            double bottom for warmth in a hammock? I seem to recall that stich is
            used to create an extremely durable floor for w/water rafts. This
            idea may be impractical or too pie in the sky, but perhaps may be
            adaptable.

             From talking with Ed,  his experience is that stitching may pull
[...]

            My error.  I have seen the material you are talking about.  It is very nice for it's purpose.   Thanks for setting the record straight.