Re: Hammock Camping Hand Warmers

  • Ernest Engman <ebengman@hikinghq.net>
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
      Are these warmers single use or multiple use?

      SGT Rock

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "stephanie <sswaim63@s...>"

    • Ed Speer <info@speerhammocks.com>
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
        The hand warmers I tried last night failed--they lasted only 3 hrs
        (not the 10 hrs advertised on the package)and never got really hot.
        They were bought in 1999, so maybe they're too old or something.
        They were HOTHANDS-2 by Heatmax; the iron fillings type. Each pouch
        is 2" X 3.5" and weighs 0.6 oz. Has anyone else had a similar
        experience or tried a different kind?...Ed
      • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
          They were HOTHANDS-2 by Heatmax; the iron fillings type. Each pouch
          > is 2" X 3.5" and weighs 0.6 oz. Has anyone else had a similar
          > experience or tried a different kind?...Ed

          I have used two hand warmers ... Not for camping, but for watching
          sports.

          As a kid I had a hand warmer fueled with lighter fluid. There was
          some kind of combustion going on, it stunk pretty bad, and I mention
          it only because I would NEVER recommend someone use one. They are
          probably illegal by now anyway!

          In the last few years, I have occasionally found sports medicine
          vendors who give away little pouches of liquid with a metalic clicker
          inside the pouch. Click the little disk and the pouch's contents
          begin to crystalize. The warmth lasts about 2-3 hours, and it might
          make a nice way to end the night before the sun comes up.

          I assume the science is that the liquid is a supersaturated solution
          of a salt like AlSO4 (Alum) and the thermal energy of the clicker is
          enough to seed the solution and release the heat of crystalization.
          They can be regenerated by putting the pouch in boiling water for a
          few minutes until all the salt disolves into the liquid and then
          letting them cool slowly. I have cycled them dozens of times.

          I have never used them camping or hiking, but think this ability to
          regenerate would be considerably better for the hiker's use than the
          one time use stuff normally sold to atheletes and trainers.

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
            Message
            Yeah, Rick, that reusable part does sound useful.  Guess these are not commerically available?  Maybe someone else has a source....Ed

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
              Maybe someone else has a source....Ed

              I did a search... there are several out there, but here is a link to
              one... A 5 buck experiment might be useful.

              http://campingsurvival.com/ezheatreusha.html

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003

                  Some can be re-used – some not – depends on how they are activated – ones I use during hunting season can be re-activated but are not as hot as the first time.

                  Jodi

                  Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

                • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 7, 2003
                    Ed,
                    I've used the same kind. They now come in both 10 & 12 hour versions
                    (don't know if the 12s are new and the 10s are old stock). I haven't
                    had the problems you did. They heat up hot & stay very warm through
                    the night.

                    I do the sock treatment if I'm really really cold or just the
                    stomach if I'm just really cold. I tried the hat trick but my head
                    got too hot & my feet didn't.

                    Try some new ones. You can find them pretty cheap so it's worth an
                    experiment or two.

                    Jim

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer <info@s...>"
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 7, 2003
                      Message
                      Thanks Jim, I will try some new ones.  The warmth advantages for something that weights only 0.6 oz is well worth some more testing....Ed

                      <info@s...> wrote:
                      > The hand warmers I tried last night failed--they lasted only 3 hrs
                      > (not the 10 hrs advertised on the package)and never got really
                      hot.
                      > They were bought in 1999, so maybe they're too old or something.
                      > They were HOTHANDS-2 by Heatmax; the iron fillings type.  Each
                      pouch
                      > is 2" X 3.5" and weighs 0.6 oz.  Has anyone else had a similar
                      > experience or tried a different kind?...Ed

                    • stephanie
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 8, 2003
                        Hi Ed,

                        The handwarmers I used were also HeatMax but they are called "foot
                        warmups". They weigh 1.5 oz for a 2 pack in packaging.
                        The instructions say they will have max heat of 110F for 6 hours but they
                        sure felt hotter than that to me. And lasted longer. Now, I remember I had
                        two different sized and so the other ones were probably the "hothands",
                        which an internet search says lasts up to 10 hours at 135 or so, ..I can't
                        find those now though. I'm pretty sure the foot warmer ones were the ones
                        I used though. I saw they had a 5 year shelf life. I'd try again if I were
                        you.

                        The reusable kind of warmers, I'm not positive, but think that they last a
                        much shorter time, like an hour or two. I looked on internet but none of
                        the places I looked at that sell them mentioned how long they last. Which
                        amazes me since that is a very pertinent piece of information and ought to
                        be included in ads for the product!

                        I slept in my hammock again at about 32 degrees last night. It's the crazy
                        crib and used a 3/4 Ridgerest and a 23 inch wide 3/8 inch blue foam pad. I
                        have a 15 degree bag that I use as a quilt with the foot zipped up so my
                        feet are in a foot pocket.My shoulders and hips are wide and I'm tired of
                        trying to stay perfectly positioned to stay on them and keep from getting
                        cold spots. I got another piece I use like a tee where my shoulders are so
                        it wraps around them. I'm going to try the Target 27 inch wide pad. If
                        that doesn't work I'm going to find one of those 40 inch wide pads or else
                        cut and paste other pads together to get more width. The Crib has a pad
                        sleeve but can only accept up to a 23 inch or so pad. I was warm last
                        night though. I tried sleeping in just underwear but then my legs got cold
                        even if they barely touched any part of the hammock...so I ended up
                        sleeping in long underwear. I bought a little cheap thermometer so that i
                        could get an idea of what the temperature actually was when out
                        hiking. Unfortunately I think it's useless as it said it was 20 degrees
                        and I'm sure it wasn't that cold. There was no ice in my water or anything
                        at any rate. maybe it was measuring wind chill as I'm sure the wind chill
                        was 20 degrees or less. I was camped in a valley by a creek and the wind
                        was gusting, calm one minute, then 20 mph or so the next. You could hear it
                        coming up the valley, pretty neat. I had my tarp set up just as a
                        windbreak so I could see the stars, but the wind changed direction and so I
                        was getting it full force sometimes..i didn't get cold so didn't bother to
                        get up and change tarp configuration.

                        I also found out how one falls out of a hammock. I've never had any
                        problem with feeling like I'm going to tip out of a hammock, and kinda
                        didn't understand why people would say that was a concern. Well for some
                        reason,something about the way I entered the hammock last night the first
                        time was different from what I've been doing. Swung my legs in and
                        kaplump!...before I knew what happened I'd flipped over and was on the
                        ground on the other side...pretty comical really. The only bad thing is
                        that the incident tore the bug netting at the foot of the Crib (which is
                        part of a BGT test).

                        stephanie

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 20, 2003
                            Ed/Rick,

                            I decided to check up on the EZHeat reusable heat packs to see if
                            they were an acceptable substitute for the more traditional
                            disposable hand warmers.

                            I ordered two EZHeat packs from campingsurvival.com and they arrived
                            yesterday. These packs are heavy clear plastic packages 4.75" x 3.5"
                            x .75". They contain a hard white substance and a dark round metal
                            disk about .5" dia. The directions for use are printed on the
                            plastic. It also notes that it contains "sodium acetate (food
                            grade)" and water.

                            To recharge these you are to place it (wrapped in a cloth) in
                            boiling water for 10 minutes. Then after letting it cool you can
                            activate it to release the heat.

                            These appear to be a phase change material that is solid when used
                            and liquefies & turns clear when placed in the boiling water batch.
                            The metal disc then floats in the substance.

                            I boiled one up last night and let it cool overnight. This morning I
                            activated the pouch (you bend the disk through the plastic bag and
                            it magically turns to a crystalline gel that starts to harden as it
                            releases heat --- pretty cool...my guess is that the energy of the
                            disc snapping is enough to kick the liquid material over some
                            threshold that causes the phase change and releases the heat).

                            It heated up rapidly become hot (not extremely hot but not just warm
                            either) to the touch. I placed it between my down jacket and my
                            shirt on my stomach as I would if I were in my sleeping bag. After
                            an hour it was merely warm to the touch and after two it was only
                            marginally warmer than the ambient air (office). After two and a
                            half it was solid and room temperature.

                            My intention was to do a detailed test taking the heat pack's
                            temperature over a period of time to see how it stacked up against
                            traditional metal filings based hand warmers but based on this
                            initial test, it is woefully inadequate for the task of adding extra
                            warmth for a night's sleep in a cold hammock scenario. They will be
                            ok for those time when you want a quick heat pack but not for
                            anything where more than an hour or so of significant warmth is
                            needed.

                            So, you can save yourself the $5 test (although I did buy a neat
                            Lensatic Compass while I was getting these so all is not wasted
                            <grin>).

                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 20, 2003
                              Message
                              Thanks for the info, Jim.  Looks like the search continues.....Ed

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 20, 2003
                                Thanks for the review...

                                Yep, this is the way I remember them too... Not intended to keep you
                                warm all night, but if the toes get cold toward morning, one could
                                snap one and put it down in the foot of the quilt to warm up a little
                                before getting up. Good news is that you can recharge it while
                                cooking coffee water after getting up. Intended for comfort, not
                                survival.

                                Rick

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76