New Cold Weather Experiment

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
      New Cold Weather Experiment - 23 Jan 04

      The following paragraphs documents my cold weather experiment last night. I
      will try to describe the weather, the set-up, the results, and my feelings
      during the outdoor stay.

      Weather:
      Forcast for 4 F (-16 C) and windy; the actual temperature dropped to 6.7 F (-14
      C) with winds of 10 - 15 mph (16 - 24 kph). Giving a wind chill as low as -15 F
      (-26 C).

      Set-up:
      I set up in open woods, which partially blocked the winds. I was not protected
      by walls, rocks, or any land form.

      I decided to not use the tarp. I set up my new version WarmHammock, made with 2
      oz nylon taffetta, and it's integral 4 ft (1.2 m) long x 3 ft (1 m) wide PG2
      insulation layer. into this I put a 3/8 inch thick closed cell pad, and my
      Risk's Bag, used as a quilt. I put a small piece of closed cell pad in the foot
      of the bag to insulate my feet from the outside of the hammock, where the down
      was compressed. Over this, I used the 1.2 oz ripstop TravelPod. I put nothing
      in the travel pod under the hammock.

      I was wearing a polyester bathing suit with net lining, and a cotton tee shirt.
      Over this I wore a medium weight fleece pull over and a pair of lightweight
      fleece pants. I wore a jacket to the hammock, and used it as a pillow inside
      the hammock once I laid down.

      I left my shoes on the ground beneath the hammock with my glasses and head light
      in them. I kept a handiwipe towel in my left pants pocket and a pocket knife
      and Fluke infrared thermometer in the right pocket. On my head I wore the
      Psolar BX fleece balaclava with countercurrent module.

      I found it most comfortable to sleep on my back, stretching out one leg, and
      slightly bending the other to support that leg under the calf with my head on
      the side of the hammock with the bent knee. I alternated sides every hour or so
      when I would wake with a feeling of needing to turn over. (I sleep very lightly.)

      Results:
      First, let me say that I was very plesantly surprised that I slept quite warm.
      I could hear the leaves blowing beneath me in the wind, but had no cold spots.
      My skin did not cool to the touch, even on my back or bottom. I needed to get
      up once (at 0230) for a potty break, and the hammock warmed up quickly once I
      got back in.

      Though the air temperature was about 7 F, (I will stick to F measure here,
      because of the number of measurements given) the ground and the bottom of the
      hammock read colder than this temperature, because of radiant heat loss. They
      read between 3 F and - 5 F. This was true nearly all night.

      The temperature of the outside surface of the hammock's insulation layer was
      about 25 F. The temperature of the pad and of the top of the sleeping bag
      inside was a constant 78-79 F. The temperature of my skin under the fleece (top
      and bottom) was 90 - 92 degrees. I measured these areas almost every hour from
      11 PM to 4 AM and saw no change.

      The temperature inside the travel pod (actually the coat in the space above my
      head) was about 25 F. I did note condensation on the inside surface of the
      travel pod directly above my face. A small area was often mosit in this area.
      A larger area had a thin coating of frost on it. Several times during the
      night, I used the lightweight towel in my pocket to wipe the frost off the
      inside surface of the TravelPod.

      Feelings:
      As I trudged down to the spot chosen for the night's stay, the ground had frozen
      very hard under my feet. Instead of being a smooth surface, the leaves were
      propped at unusual angles and the ground made uneven by knobs of frozen mud
      under the leaves. I thought how very uncomfortable it would be to sleep on
      those rock like knobs. It reminded me of pock marked rocks, or a parking lot
      made of stone crushed to four inch diameter stones. - not the kind of area I
      would like to sleep on.

      I had slept in this same spot a year ago. I had not been back since. This was
      in the area near the barn and I wondered if the sheep would come out to
      investigate. They didn't, but one of the barn cats came out to see what the
      white devil was doing out on a cold night. (And did he bring food?) She lost
      interest during one of the blasts of frigid air and hustled back to the barn.

      I put the layers in place, noting that the foam sheets were quite stiff in the
      cold. It was already 9 degrees, and forcast to get a lot colder. I thought
      back to my escape plan: The garage door was unlocked, and the light left on.

      I had considered the possibility that my breath would cause enough condensation
      that the zipper on the Travel Pod might freeze. For this reason, I had the
      knife with me and was prepared to use it if I could not otherwise open the
      zipper. I saw no reason to freeze to death, frozen inside and impenatrable 1.1
      oz piece of ripstop, just because I could not get the right purchase to tear its
      seams.

      It was pleasing to again note how well the countercurrent heat exchange element
      of the balaclava kept my face warm and decreased the amount of condensed breath
      blowing downwind away from my face. It was somewhat alarming to see how fast
      that breath did blow away. This was not going to be a trivial night.

      I took off my coat, wondering exactly what was driving me to do something as
      stupid as this, and quickly took off my shoes. Sliding my feet into the foot
      box of the quilt, I reached down and zipped the travel pod up to my waist.
      Laying down, I arranged the coat to be a thin pillow (insulating my head from
      the bottom of the hammock) and tucked the top two corners of the quilt between
      my shoulders and the sides of the hammock. Then I reached down to pull the
      zipper up to well above my head, leaving a one inch hole between my coat and the
      top of the zipper. I allowed my bare hands to warm up under the quilt, on top
      of my chest.

      After a couple minutes, it was obvious I was really quite warm. I could feel no
      cold spots on my back, and I began to smile. This might really be a lot easier
      than I believed it could be. Certainly, it felt a lot better than my 5 degree
      stay in a HH last year.

      The pad under my feet really was keeping them warm and toasty. No cold spot
      under the heel at all! My shoulders were warm.

      I pulled the thermometer out of its pocket and took a few readings. Wow! It
      really was warm. Amazed again how well a body heats an effective insulated
      cocoon, I settled down to sleep. And each time I woke - with a bit a crick in a
      knee, or an itch of my nose, - usually about once an hour - I began to realize
      that I was not only surviving, I was comfortable. Really comfortable.

      I began to run out of a desire to sleep somewhere about 4 AM. I determined to
      stay out until 4:30 and then go in to spend an hour with my wife. And so I did
      - happy that the system worked and happy to have a near ultralight system of my
      own devising which will keep me warm in the wildest of AT weather I could
      reasonable expect on a northbound hike.

      Thanks for reading this.

      Risk
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
        Hi Rick

        I cut out most of your mesaage for the folks on digest but I must
        say 7 F is pushing the envelope. I'm only good down to about 20 F
        with my present setup and probably still outweigh yours. The
        TravelPod is your main advantage, as you are traping your body heat
        enough to make your bag warm enough. I was a little suprised to
        read you had 25 deg F in the outer regions of the travel pod. I
        expected it to be a bit warmer. Oh and i imagine the Psolar BX
        fleece balaclava is helping quite a bit. Eventually I hope to have
        a system similar to yours and Eds. I doubt I will need anything
        good to 7 F but the 16 F I tried a few years back was an eye
        opener. I managed to stay out all night and with a few gear tweaks
        I should be able to go colder. Of couse I may invent a tepee
        suitable for backpacking and hammock hanging and just enjoy a fire.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
        > New Cold Weather Experiment - 23 Jan 04
        >
        > The following paragraphs documents my cold weather experiment last
        night. I
        > will try to describe the weather, the set-up, the results, and my
        feelings

        > Thanks for reading this.
        >
        > Risk
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
          Have you documented the WarmHammock on your web site yet? How thick
          is the insulation layer you are using?

          Good test! Thanks for doing it.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
            Ray Garlington wrote:

            >Have you documented the WarmHammock on your web site yet? How thick
            >is the insulation layer you are using?

            Not yet. Good catch. It uses a layer of quilted 1 inch PG2. ...Which
            actually fluffs out to about 2 inches when hanging.

            There is a picture of the first model on the photos section of this group.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
              Thanks for the great test and report Rick--I've really envious of that IR
              thermometer now! Of course your test results are quite impressive as well.
              I know you've worked a long time developing your system; and it shows.

              My cold-weather tests with the Psolar Balaclava are similar to yours--it
              does greatly reduce the escape of expelled moisture, thus it cuts the
              buildup of condensation inside the hammock or insulation. The only drawback
              I found was it gets smelly after two nights or so of continuous use--rinsing
              in creek water every day would probably solve that problem, although in
              really cold weather that might be quite a hassle. Anyway, I'll always have
              mine on future cold-weather trips...Ed

              Moderator, Hammock Camping-L
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
                Ed Speer wrote:

                >Thanks for the great test and report Rick--I've really envious of that IR
                >thermometer now! Of course your test results are quite impressive as well.
                >I know you've worked a long time developing your system; and it shows.

                Thank YOU Ed for your encouragement, your book, your correspondence and
                our conversation. I appreciate your complement more than anyone could
                ever guess.

                Rick
              • Shane Steinkamp
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
                  > >Thanks for the great test and report Rick--I've really envious of that IR
                  > >thermometer now! Of course your test results are quite
                  > impressive as well.
                  > >I know you've worked a long time developing your system; and it shows.
                  > >
                  > Thank YOU Ed for your encouragement, your book, your correspondence and
                  > our conversation. I appreciate your complement more than anyone could
                  > ever guess.

                  I know I don't particpate here much, but I have been hammocking a long time,
                  and I'd just like to take my hat off to Rick, Ed, Ray, and the rest of you
                  who are doing amazing things. This is an excellent group, and I really hope
                  to meet everyone in person one day.

                  Shane
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 23, 2004
                    We are all advancing the hammock camping phenomenon--some day we'll all look
                    back on these days and say "I was a part of that"

                    Like you Shane, I hope to meet the rest of the 'crew' someday--maybe on one
                    of our Hammock Hangers Association campouts! I'll do another one in Mar or
                    Apr--plans are underway but not set yet. In addition, I will be exhibiting
                    my hammocks and PeaPods at numerous outdoor gatherings this year--will put
                    the current list in the next issue of Hammock Camping News. Hopefully I'll
                    get to meet some List members that way as well...Ed

                    Moderator, Hammock Camping-L
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

                    > I know I don't particpate here much, but I have been
                    > hammocking a long time, and I'd just like to take my hat off
                    > to Rick, Ed, Ray, and the rest of you who are doing amazing
                    > things. This is an excellent group, and I really hope to
                    > meet everyone in person one day.
                    >
                    > Shane
                  • Risk
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                      "Ray Garlington" wrote:
                      > Have you documented the WarmHammock on your web site yet? How thick
                      > is the insulation layer you are using?

                      OK Ray,

                      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/warmhammock.htm

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                        Rick you've probably told me before, but I don't remember--is your TravelPod
                        made with silnylon or breathable ripstop nylon? ...Ed

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                          Ed Speer wrote:

                          >Rick you've probably told me before, but I don't remember--is your TravelPod
                          >made with silnylon or breathable ripstop nylon? ...Ed

                          1.1 oz breathable ripstop. Not silnylon which would collect much more
                          moisture.

                          Rick
                        • chcoa
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 24, 2004
                            do you ever plan to have a hammock hangers event out west?

                            Jamie in AZ

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 25, 2004
                              Thanks Rick, your recent successful test has forced me to look at your
                              system again. Very clever indeed. Your use of ziz-zag stitching in the
                              quilting lines is creative--how well is it working? Apparently just fine
                              since straight stitching causes immediately-noticable tight 'ridges' because
                              of the different stretch in the sewing thread and the hammock fabric. In my
                              earlier experimenting with straight seams in the hammock fabric, failure was
                              not immediate, but was a slow months-long process. However, the excessive
                              stress on the stitching could be observed at any time by looking closely at
                              daylight coming thru the stitching while lying in the hammock and looking
                              outward thru the stitching--the stress-widened needle holes were very
                              evident this way. If your solution works, it may allow me to experiment
                              with a couple of new ideas of my own....Ed

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 25, 2004
                                Jamie, my original idea when I started this whole hammock thing was to spend
                                a major part of my time traveling around the country giving workshops and
                                hammock campouts! Unfortunately, we're only a two-person operation right
                                now and I'm spending far too much time indoors. Even my plans to hike the
                                PCT this summer have been put on hold for several more years yet. So for
                                the foreseeable future, I'll be sticking to this side of the continent,
                                sorry.

                                However I love Arizona--graduated with geology MS from UA in Tucson! Worked
                                for many years in Tucson, Tombstone and Kingman! Work took me away from AZ
                                in the early 80s, but I really miss the desert and would like to move back
                                sometime.

                                So don't totally rule out a western hammock hangers event/s...Ed

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 25, 2004
                                  Ed Speer wrote:

                                  >Thanks Rick, your recent successful test has forced me to look at your
                                  >system again. Very clever indeed. Your use of ziz-zag stitching in the
                                  >quilting lines is creative--how well is it working?

                                  Ed,

                                  Seems to be doing well.

                                  I believe I once sewed something to an elastic band. The stitch I used
                                  was the zigzag stitch. That memory must have come back to me as I was
                                  digesting out conversation on Springer, during the drive home to
                                  Dayton. The underlying material can stretch almost 150 percent before
                                  the line of stitching becomes taut.

                                  I agree, that I can not tell now how well the cloth will hold up over
                                  months of testing. There is the matter of the holes in the cloth to
                                  deal with. I can only hope the needle spread the majority of fibers
                                  instead of cutting them. And, oh by the way, I am nearly sure this
                                  would not work for silnylon. The cloth holds the threads so they have
                                  to be cut when the needle is inserted. Same is true of tyvek.

                                  The hardest challenge is developing a way that allows the inner layer of
                                  hammock to stretch without smashing the insulation into the outer
                                  layer. I think I now know how to do it with down, but have not done so
                                  yet. My first two experiments with down were each failures. Laying
                                  there in frustration the second time was when I came up with the method
                                  I used for the two WarmHammocks.

                                  I will let you know how things are doing as the spring continues.

                                  Rick
                                • polecatpop
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 25, 2004
                                    Jamie, Lets plan our own.

                                    Anyone interested, Show up in Pocatello, Last weekend of May.

                                    I have access to some private land along the Portnuef River with
                                    lots of good sized trees.

                                    Ralph

                                    We don't need them easterners to have fun. :)

                                    > do you ever plan to have a hammock hangers event out west?
                                    >
                                    > Jamie in AZ

                                  • chris aguilera
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 25, 2004
                                      Is that Idaho?  How far is that from central california?

                                      Chris
                                      Anyone interested, Show up in Pocatello, Last weekend of May.

                                      I have access to some private land along the Portnuef River with
                                      lots of good sized trees.

                                      Ralph

                                      We don't need them easterners to have fun.  :)

                                      > do you ever plan to have a hammock hangers event out west?
                                      >
                                      > Jamie in AZ

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • polecatpop
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 25, 2004
                                        10 to 12 hours depending on how much you believe the Nevada speed
                                        limit signs.
                                        Ralph

                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chris aguilera"
                                        <cwalpole@l...> wrote:
                                        > Is that Idaho? How far is that from central california?
                                        >
                                        > Chris

                                        of Service.
                                      • Matthew Takeda
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 26, 2004
                                          Rick wrote:
                                          >I believe I once sewed something to an elastic band. The stitch I used
                                          >was the zigzag stitch. That memory must have come back to me as I was
                                          >digesting out conversation on Springer, during the drive home to
                                          >Dayton. The underlying material can stretch almost 150 percent before
                                          >the line of stitching becomes taut.

                                          Have you considered woolly nylon thread? Normally, it's sold for use in
                                          sergers, but it can be used in a regular machine, as well. It's 100% nylon
                                          and will stretch quite nicely.

                                          >I agree, that I can not tell now how well the cloth will hold up over
                                          >months of testing. There is the matter of the holes in the cloth to
                                          >deal with. I can only hope the needle spread the majority of fibers
                                          >instead of cutting them.

                                          What kind of needle are you using? Ball-point needles are much better at
                                          this than sharps.

                                          > And, oh by the way, I am nearly sure this
                                          >would not work for silnylon. The cloth holds the threads so they have
                                          >to be cut when the needle is inserted. Same is true of tyvek.

                                          Not sure what you mean by this. The cloth IS the threads. The silicone
                                          coats the threads and makes them a little less flexible, but they can move,
                                          so a fine needle ought to be able to go through without breaking them. I
                                          don't think most machine needles are fine enough, though. The fibers in
                                          Tyvek are heat-bonded together; entirely different structure.

                                          Matthew Takeda
                                          the JOAT
                                        • Risk
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 27, 2004
                                            I just revised the report on my web page a bit. The official weather
                                            records say it was colder last Friday than I had believed from reading
                                            the temperature when I got up in the morning.

                                            It stayed at 5 F (-15 C) for three hours with 10-12 mph wind.

                                            The weatherunderground keeps great records for our experiments. For
                                            the night I was out, see:

                                            http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDAY/2004/1/23/DailyHistory.html

                                            or

                                            http://tinyurl.com/29avg

                                            Rick
                                          • chcoa
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 27, 2004
                                              Well anytime you can make it out here, count me in. It would be
                                              great to meet you in person and hang around a bit. :) And shhh about
                                              how nice the desert is, we have way too many people moving here as it
                                              is.

                                              Jamie in yucky, hot, rattlesnake infested AZ

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 27, 2004
                                                I like it polecatpop. You have to count me out for spring, I have a
                                                baby on the way in April but I'm in for the next one.

                                                Jamie in az

                                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "polecatpop" <polecatpop@y...>