Re: [Hammock Camping] HH canopy/tarp alternative question

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2004
      Matt wrote:

      >Hi all!
      >I've got a HH Ultralight Backpacker, which has served me great for
      >almost two years now. I had only been using it for shorter trips and
      >most of the time the weather was looking good. The canopy that came
      >with it has always kept me dry when it rained, but I'm looking at
      >making my hammock a shelter for me in all conditions. Every time
      >it's rained on me I've been lucky to have someone else there with a
      >tarp or tent we could cook and eat in to keep dry. I've been
      >thinking about swapping my canopy for a larger tarp that would give
      >me a better living area around my hammock. I've done this before
      >with heavy tarps, but I'm planning on buying myself a sim tarp to
      >keep my shelter system pretty light.
      >My question is for any of you who have swapped your canopy for more
      >coverage. I was looking at the Equinox 8x10 and the Integral Designs
      >8x10 too. Would I be able to run my hammock as a ridge line for
      >these tarps, or would I have to run another line above it for it to
      >work? I was choosing the 8x10 size so that I could use and share it
      >as a regular tarp when trees were not present. Any advice would be
      >appreciated.
      >Matt

      Hi Matt,

      I would highly recommend that you tie it off to the same trees that
      support the hammock. That way it stays taut when you lie down in the
      hammock, without having to deal with springy tie offs. Others have
      suggested that this allows one to put the tarp up and cook without
      having your hammock in the cooking odors.

      This is the standard way that Ed Speer recommends use of the larger tarp
      as well. See his site for several pictures of how this is rigged. It
      can be right down on the hammock for windy or cold weather, or pitched a
      foot or two higher for more comfort under the tarp in steady
      summer/spring rains.