HH canopy/tarp alternative question

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2004
      Hi all!
      I've got a HH Ultralight Backpacker, which has served me great for
      almost two years now. I had only been using it for shorter trips and
      most of the time the weather was looking good. The canopy that came
      with it has always kept me dry when it rained, but I'm looking at
      making my hammock a shelter for me in all conditions. Every time
      it's rained on me I've been lucky to have someone else there with a
      tarp or tent we could cook and eat in to keep dry. I've been
      thinking about swapping my canopy for a larger tarp that would give
      me a better living area around my hammock. I've done this before
      with heavy tarps, but I'm planning on buying myself a sim tarp to
      keep my shelter system pretty light.
      My question is for any of you who have swapped your canopy for more
      coverage. I was looking at the Equinox 8x10 and the Integral Designs
      8x10 too. Would I be able to run my hammock as a ridge line for
      these tarps, or would I have to run another line above it for it to
      work? I was choosing the 8x10 size so that I could use and share it
      as a regular tarp when trees were not present. Any advice would be
      appreciated.
      Matt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22, 2004
        Matt wrote:

        >Hi all!
        >I've got a HH Ultralight Backpacker, which has served me great for
        >almost two years now. I had only been using it for shorter trips and
        >most of the time the weather was looking good. The canopy that came
        >with it has always kept me dry when it rained, but I'm looking at
        >making my hammock a shelter for me in all conditions. Every time
        >it's rained on me I've been lucky to have someone else there with a
        >tarp or tent we could cook and eat in to keep dry. I've been
        >thinking about swapping my canopy for a larger tarp that would give
        >me a better living area around my hammock. I've done this before
        >with heavy tarps, but I'm planning on buying myself a sim tarp to
        >keep my shelter system pretty light.
        >My question is for any of you who have swapped your canopy for more
        >coverage. I was looking at the Equinox 8x10 and the Integral Designs
        >8x10 too. Would I be able to run my hammock as a ridge line for
        >these tarps, or would I have to run another line above it for it to
        >work? I was choosing the 8x10 size so that I could use and share it
        >as a regular tarp when trees were not present. Any advice would be
        >appreciated.
        >Matt

        Hi Matt,

        I would highly recommend that you tie it off to the same trees that
        support the hammock. That way it stays taut when you lie down in the
        hammock, without having to deal with springy tie offs. Others have
        suggested that this allows one to put the tarp up and cook without
        having your hammock in the cooking odors.

        This is the standard way that Ed Speer recommends use of the larger tarp
        as well. See his site for several pictures of how this is rigged. It
        can be right down on the hammock for windy or cold weather, or pitched a
        foot or two higher for more comfort under the tarp in steady
        summer/spring rains.