Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammocks in your home

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2004
      Tom and Mirage: Hi!

      I put up a hammock system in a little bedroom last weekend. Having read some of
      Ed's comments in the past I know something about the stress a hammock can create
      (static 600 lb pull laterally is common.)

      This is what I did, and it seems to be working:

      I looked around the garage for two 24 inch 2x4s. I also found 4 4" 2x4s.
      Then I found two walls 10 feet apart (12 would have been better.)

      [construction of my house is 1970 style: 2x4 studs holding gypsum wallboard]

      I carefully found two vertical studs at each end, and made sure (by drilling
      several small holes) I knew where the center of the studs were.

      I held the 4" blocks in the center of those adajacent studs and held the long
      2x4 over them, so it looks a little like a heafty safety rail. I made the rail
      about the height of my navel (height/PHI.)

      I did the appropriate drilling of the rail and wood blocks so I could screw two
      lag bolts into each 2x4. I placed the assembly on the wall, making sure the lag
      bolts were centered on the 2x4s and marked the needed holes. Then I drilled the
      holes through the wallboard and deep into the stud. I wanted to make sure the
      lag bolt did not split the stud.

      I used 6 inch lag bolts, designed to go almost all the way through the 2x4,
      after passing though the stack of two 2x4s in the rail. End result is a pair of
      rails, each of which is supported by four 6 inch lag bolts.

      When/if I tire of the set up, all I need to do is remove the lag bolts, patch
      the holes with spackling and paint.

      Rick