Hammocks in your home

  • Thomas Peltier
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2004
      I know some of you have hammocks hanging inside your house. Some of you
      are sleeping in them regularly.

      My question is how do you have them hanging in your homes?

      Tom
      Pura Vida
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 22, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Peltier <Thomas@G...>
        wrote:
        > My question is how do you have them hanging in your homes?
        >
        > Tom
        > Pura Vida

        Ditto!!

        My wife is really frowning on me placing chromed steel eyebolt
        directly into the studs. I was browsing HomeDepot the other day and
        really did not come up with any other good alternatives.

        The other question is what load capacity does standard 2x4 wall stud
        have and should I be thinking of that in my planning?

        I'm trying to put some up in the kids play room for them to use, and
        for me to use when rigging up my quilts, hammocks and tarps during
        design and contruction.

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2004
          Tom and Mirage: Hi!

          I put up a hammock system in a little bedroom last weekend. Having read some of
          Ed's comments in the past I know something about the stress a hammock can create
          (static 600 lb pull laterally is common.)

          This is what I did, and it seems to be working:

          I looked around the garage for two 24 inch 2x4s. I also found 4 4" 2x4s.
          Then I found two walls 10 feet apart (12 would have been better.)

          [construction of my house is 1970 style: 2x4 studs holding gypsum wallboard]

          I carefully found two vertical studs at each end, and made sure (by drilling
          several small holes) I knew where the center of the studs were.

          I held the 4" blocks in the center of those adajacent studs and held the long
          2x4 over them, so it looks a little like a heafty safety rail. I made the rail
          about the height of my navel (height/PHI.)

          I did the appropriate drilling of the rail and wood blocks so I could screw two
          lag bolts into each 2x4. I placed the assembly on the wall, making sure the lag
          bolts were centered on the 2x4s and marked the needed holes. Then I drilled the
          holes through the wallboard and deep into the stud. I wanted to make sure the
          lag bolt did not split the stud.

          I used 6 inch lag bolts, designed to go almost all the way through the 2x4,
          after passing though the stack of two 2x4s in the rail. End result is a pair of
          rails, each of which is supported by four 6 inch lag bolts.

          When/if I tire of the set up, all I need to do is remove the lag bolts, patch
          the holes with spackling and paint.

          Rick