John--windshield reflector pads

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2004
      John I know you read about this at the Hennessey site (not slamming
      HH in the least, personally owning 2 A-syms and just yesterday
      ordered a Light Racer) but you will just waste time and money with
      this plan. Your cheapest options that ACTUALLY WORK and are tested by
      many hammockers are:
      1. closed cell pad IN the hammock cut from a piece large enough to
      allow wings for your arms/shoulders or two pieces 't-eed' to
      create these wings that prevent cold-wrap. Knox Foam sells
      closed cell pads 7 feet wide and much longer allowing this simply.
      2. cheapo-Walmart fiber fill or old/used sleeping bag slung by various
      attachment mechanisms to the bottom of the hammock ala 'underquilt'
      3. a piece of material-pref. nylon also of various types including
      'sil-nyl' to craft a taco (aka Garlington), this can also be
      obtained from Walmart for cheap
      4. Use the taco cited at this user group and detail at the designers
      site to hold any impromptu insulation against the bottom of
      your hammock.
      5. Order a pre-built pod from Speer, craft one out of a sleeping
      bag large enough to go around the entire hammock (as I have
      done with a CrazyCreekCrib and a WM Ponderosa
      And the options continue.
      This is not to say you wont get any gain from the windshiled
      reflector but in the end if you pursue coldweatherhammocking you will
      quickly move in another direction.
      Medicine Man
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2004
        simva4040 wrote:

        >John I know you read about this at the Hennessey site (not slamming
        >HH in the least, personally owning 2 A-syms and just yesterday
        >ordered a Light Racer) but you will just waste time and money with
        >this plan. Your cheapest options that ACTUALLY WORK and are tested by
        >many hammockers are:
        >1. closed cell pad IN the hammock cut from a piece large enough to
        > allow wings for your arms/shoulders or two pieces 't-eed' to
        > create these wings that prevent cold-wrap. Knox Foam sells
        > closed cell pads 7 feet wide and much longer allowing this simply.
        >2. cheapo-Walmart fiber fill or old/used sleeping bag slung by various
        > attachment mechanisms to the bottom of the hammock ala 'underquilt'
        >3. a piece of material-pref. nylon also of various types including
        > 'sil-nyl' to craft a taco (aka Garlington), this can also be
        > obtained from Walmart for cheap
        >4. Use the taco cited at this user group and detail at the designers
        > site to hold any impromptu insulation against the bottom of
        > your hammock.
        >5. Order a pre-built pod from Speer, craft one out of a sleeping
        > bag large enough to go around the entire hammock (as I have
        > done with a CrazyCreekCrib and a WM Ponderosa
        >And the options continue.
        >This is not to say you wont get any gain from the windshiled
        >reflector but in the end if you pursue coldweatherhammocking you will
        >quickly move in another direction.
        >Medicine Man

        Dittos from Dayton,

        (Well written M2!)

        The pods do not work well with the HH, and are designed for the Speer
        and other top entry hammocks.

        Risk
      • John
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2004
          Alrighty. Thanks for steering me straight guys.

          John

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "simva4040"