Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking with a quilt and pad

  • Amy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2004
      On Sunday, January 18, 2004, at 11:06 AM, Paul V. wrote:

      > How do you set up a sleeping pad and quilt in a hammock?

      My answers are for me only. Seems like everybody does it a different
      way. :)

      > Does the quilt just drape over the side of the pad, or do you try to
      > roll
      > yourself into the quilt?

      I drape it over me. No point in having it go under the pad, as it just
      gets
      compressed.

      > Does the pad have to be larger than the
      > sleeper to allow the quilt and pad to seal against wind and drafts?

      Definitely. The shape of the hammock makes the pad squish
      up around you. Regular size groundpads generally leave
      a part of you touching the hammock directly.

      > Do you lay directly on the pad or use some kind of inner sheet or
      > fleece liner?

      I lay directly on my pad.

      > Lets assume 60F weather, and a one layer hammock, without a liner to
      > insert a pad into.

      In most weather I also stick a Z-rest sitpad in the footbox of my quilt
      to keep my feet warm. My feet tend to move off the other pad as I
      wiggle
      around. With the small pad stuck in the footbox I can move all I want.

      -amy