Pics of my Under/Over quilt and latest hammock

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 16 11:19 AM
      As promised, I finally got out this morning and took (posed) pics of
      my recently completed under/over quilt and speer (modula rick double
      bottom quarter weight) hammock.

      Pics are at: http://tinyurl.com/2cot5

      Quilt details:
      o Weight: Unknown yet, no decent scale available.
      o Outer shell: 1.8oz EPIC
      o Inner shell: 1.1on uncoated ripstop
      o Insulation: 2 layers of 4oz (0.8" loft) unquilted Primaloft Sport
      o Dimensions: 85"x55" (~7'x4.5')
      o Long edge: 3/4" Hook and Loop
      o Short edge: 1/4" nylon draw cord in SilNyl channel, center pull.
      o Tie outs: each corner, center of head and foot, 3 more on each
      long edge, evenly distributed. Total of 12. Made from 1/2" gros-
      grain.

      The total flat loft is about 2". Not sewn thru, but each shell is
      stiched to one layer of Primaloft, 12" spacing. Outer and inner
      quilting is offset by 6", so no overlap on quilting, so no cold
      spots.

      I use the drawcord lenght, after it has been cinched up, to secure
      it to the hang straps with a sliding half hitch.

      The Hammock is made from 1.5-1.9oz ripstop from Joann's Fabric.
      Made to Rick's (Risk) Ultra Quarter weight plans, based in turn on
      Ed's design. Nothing unique about it that others haven't already
      done. I don't leave the straps/rope attached or sewn on. Maybe
      some day I will, who knows...

      Next on the Project list is a Down version of the quilt.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 17 12:18 PM
        Good job Shane (Mirage), and the kitty looks like it may claim it
        for its own. I like the camo hammock too. Did you consider camo
        for the quilt or use the epic for its light weight and the camo
        material you found was heavier?

        Coy Boy

        -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <web_dawg@y...> wrote:
        > As promised, I finally got out this morning and took (posed) pics
        of
        > my recently completed under/over quilt and speer (modula rick
        double
        > bottom quarter weight) hammock.
        >
        > Pics are at: http://tinyurl.com/2cot5
        >
        > Quilt details:
        > o Weight: Unknown yet, no decent scale available.
        > o Outer shell: 1.8oz EPIC
        > o Inner shell: 1.1on uncoated ripstop
        > o Insulation: 2 layers of 4oz (0.8" loft) unquilted Primaloft
        Sport
        > o Dimensions: 85"x55" (~7'x4.5')
        > o Long edge: 3/4" Hook and Loop
        > o Short edge: 1/4" nylon draw cord in SilNyl channel, center pull.
        > o Tie outs: each corner, center of head and foot, 3 more on
        each
        > long edge, evenly distributed. Total of 12. Made from 1/2" gros-
        > grain.
        >
        > The total flat loft is about 2". Not sewn thru, but each shell is
        > stiched to one layer of Primaloft, 12" spacing. Outer and inner
        > quilting is offset by 6", so no overlap on quilting, so no cold
        > spots.
        >
        > I use the drawcord lenght, after it has been cinched up, to secure
        > it to the hang straps with a sliding half hitch.
        >
        > The Hammock is made from 1.5-1.9oz ripstop from Joann's Fabric.
        > Made to Rick's (Risk) Ultra Quarter weight plans, based in turn on
        > Ed's design. Nothing unique about it that others haven't already
        > done. I don't leave the straps/rope attached or sewn on. Maybe
        > some day I will, who knows...
        >
        > Next on the Project list is a Down version of the quilt.
        >
        > Shane "Mirage"...
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 17 7:30 PM
          > Good job Shane (Mirage), and the kitty looks like it may claim it
          > for its own. I like the camo hammock too. Did you consider camo
          > for the quilt or use the epic for its light weight and the camo
          > material you found was heavier?

          If I could find EPIC in Camo, I would have used it, but the choices are a bit limited to
          us retail consumers still.

          The Hammock camo is 1.5-1.9 oz/sqyd.

          The design is by nature reversible, so if rail/moisture is not an issue and stealth is the
          need, I can put it on black side out.

          I wanted EPIC due to the normally wet conditions here in the PNW.

          Shane "Mirage"...
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 19 10:41 AM
            Well, I slept in the setup below last night, here is my report.

            Temp at 12am was about 42, same at 6:30am.
            Wind was 0-5 mph over night.
            Rain was a constant misting with a ~45min downpour around 3am.
            Clothing was light poly long johns, over a coolmax tee, smart wool socks and poly
            liners, generic fleece pullover.

            I have my shell and fleece liner in, but used the fleece as a pillow. Too warm for a
            balaclava or gloves. I also used a fleece bag over my but/legs/feet, just in case.

            I used my HH fly attached to the straps the same as they are on the HH.

            The Primaloft quilt on the outside could close up about 2/3 from the feet towards the
            center, and about a foot from the head, leaving a three foot "gap" above my upper
            torso that would not close (too tight for velcro to hold and would compress the
            insulation too much).

            Having the gap was not bad for the temp and it ensured I had appropriate venting
            and air supply ;)

            Anyway, I was on the warm side of comfortable. I did not use a pad.

            I suspect with a quilt and pad I would easily get below 20* but I'll be hard pressed to
            find out in the safety of my back yard. We rarely get below the mid thirties in the
            winter.

            Shane "Mirage"...

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <web_dawg@y...> wrote:
            > As promised, I finally got out this morning and took (posed) pics of
            > my recently completed under/over quilt and speer (modula rick double
            > bottom quarter weight) hammock.
            >
            > Pics are at: http://tinyurl.com/2cot5
            >
            > Quilt details:
            > o Weight: Unknown yet, no decent scale available.
            > o Outer shell: 1.8oz EPIC
            > o Inner shell: 1.1on uncoated ripstop
            > o Insulation: 2 layers of 4oz (0.8" loft) unquilted Primaloft Sport
            > o Dimensions: 85"x55" (~7'x4.5')
            > o Long edge: 3/4" Hook and Loop
            > o Short edge: 1/4" nylon draw cord in SilNyl channel, center pull.
            > o Tie outs: each corner, center of head and foot, 3 more on each
            > long edge, evenly distributed. Total of 12. Made from 1/2" gros-
            > grain.
            >
            > The total flat loft is about 2". Not sewn thru, but each shell is
            > stiched to one layer of Primaloft, 12" spacing. Outer and inner
            > quilting is offset by 6", so no overlap on quilting, so no cold
            > spots.
            >
            > I use the drawcord lenght, after it has been cinched up, to secure
            > it to the hang straps with a sliding half hitch.
            >
            > The Hammock is made from 1.5-1.9oz ripstop from Joann's Fabric.
            > Made to Rick's (Risk) Ultra Quarter weight plans, based in turn on
            > Ed's design. Nothing unique about it that others haven't already
            > done. I don't leave the straps/rope attached or sewn on. Maybe
            > some day I will, who knows...
            >
            > Next on the Project list is a Down version of the quilt.
            >
            > Shane "Mirage"...
          • Patrick Harper
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 20 11:26 AM
              I am very interested in possibly adapting your design to work w/ a HH.  I was just wondering if you have any more data on stuff size/weight/cost of materials/etc...  If you would like to email me directly instead of over the entire group my address is pharper@...

              Thank you!
              -Patrick
              Well, I slept in the setup below last night, here is my report.

              Temp at 12am was about 42, same at 6:30am.
              Wind was 0-5 mph over night.
              Rain was a constant misting with a ~45min downpour around 3am.
              Clothing was light poly long johns, over a coolmax tee, smart wool socks and poly
              liners, generic fleece pullover.

              I have my shell and fleece liner in, but used the fleece as a pillow.  Too warm for a
              balaclava or gloves.  I also used a fleece bag over my but/legs/feet, just in case.

              I used my HH fly attached to the straps the same as they are on the HH.

              The Primaloft quilt on the outside could close up about 2/3 from the feet towards the
              center, and about a foot from the head, leaving a three foot "gap" above my upper
              torso that would not close (too tight for velcro to hold and would compress the
              insulation too much).

              Having the gap was not bad for the temp and it ensured I had appropriate venting
              and air supply ;)

              Anyway, I was on the warm side of comfortable.  I did not use a pad.

              I suspect with a quilt and pad I would easily get below 20* but I'll be hard pressed to
              find out in the safety of my back yard.  We rarely get below the mid thirties in the
              winter.

              Shane "Mirage"...

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <web_dawg@y...> wrote:
              > As promised, I finally got out this morning and took (posed) pics of
              > my recently completed under/over quilt and speer (modula rick double
              > bottom quarter weight) hammock.
              >
              > Pics are at: http://tinyurl.com/2cot5
              >
              > Quilt details:
              > o Weight:      Unknown yet, no decent scale available.
              > o Outer shell: 1.8oz EPIC
              > o Inner shell: 1.1on uncoated ripstop
              > o Insulation:  2 layers of 4oz (0.8" loft) unquilted Primaloft Sport
              > o Dimensions:  85"x55" (~7'x4.5')
              > o Long edge:   3/4" Hook and Loop
              > o Short edge:  1/4" nylon draw cord in SilNyl channel, center pull.
              > o Tie outs:    each corner, center of head and foot, 3 more on each
              > long edge, evenly distributed.  Total of 12.  Made from 1/2" gros-
              > grain.
              >
              > The total flat loft is about 2".  Not sewn thru, but each shell is
              > stiched to one layer of Primaloft, 12" spacing.  Outer and inner
              > quilting is offset by 6", so no overlap on quilting, so no cold
              > spots.
              >
              > I use the drawcord lenght, after it has been cinched up, to secure
              > it to the hang straps with a sliding half hitch.
              >
              > The Hammock is made from 1.5-1.9oz ripstop from Joann's Fabric.
              > Made to Rick's (Risk) Ultra Quarter weight plans, based in turn on
              > Ed's design.  Nothing unique about it that others haven't already
              > done.  I don't leave the straps/rope attached or sewn on.  Maybe
              > some day I will, who knows...
              >
              > Next on the Project list is a Down version of the quilt.
              >
              > Shane "Mirage"...

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mirage
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 21 10:29 AM
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Harper"
                <pharper@k...> wrote:
                > I am very interested in possibly adapting your design to work w/ a
                HH.

                I have used it on my HH, but need to try out a few more things
                before I post my findings. Rest assured it CAN be used on a HH
                though. That was one of my design goals. The placement of the
                grosgrain loops around the perimeter allow for a variety of
                configurations in hanging it. It will require some lines be tied to
                the loops on the quilt and run over the outside top of the ridgeline
                to hold up the sides a bit, but entry is very similar to the GI Taco
                method. I'll post pics when I have the techniques down pat.

                Its supposed to get down to the high 20's the next few nights, so
                I'll be trying to sleep out again soon.

                > I was just wondering if you have any more data on stuff
                > size/weight/cost of materials/etc...

                I haven't made a stuff sack for it yet, but this morning I tried to
                see how tight I could roll it up, and my guess is it will fit in
                about an 8x14 stuff sack.

                My general experience is that Primaloft REALLY does not want to stay
                compressed!! It is extremely "elastic" or "spongy", very quickly
                expanding once the slightest bit of pressure is released. This is
                of course good from an insulative perspective, but also frustrating
                from a "stuffing" prespective. It's good excercise though ;)

                As for weight, I did find a scale and it comes in at a heafty 2lbs,
                9oz, or 2.75lbs.

                My cost of materials was:
                o EPIC (2.5yds): ~$24
                o 1.1 ripstop (2.5yds): ~$14
                o 4oz Primaloft sport (5yds): ~$20
                o 3/4in Hook and Loop (8ft): ~$6
                o 1/4in flat drawcord (10ft): ~$3
                o Toggles (2): ~$1
                o 1/2in Grosgrain (5ft): ~$1
                o Thread (Orange and Black): ~$5
                o 1.3 SilNylon (remnants): ~$5

                Total cost (minus my time): ~$79

                All these costs are rounded up to the dollar, so actuall cost was a
                bit less. Your prices may vary.

                The end product is a 2.75Lb, ~20*F quilt for about $80 bucks, plus
                about 10 full hours of your time.

                I earn about $48/hour, so that would but my time investment at about
                $480. Add that to the materials cost of $80 and now your talking
                one WAY expensive quilt at $560!!!

                Go buy a Nunatak down Back Country Blanket for $390 and get an
                lighter, warmer better made quilt for, ultimately, less money.

                But if that's all it was about, I would have done that in the first
                place. There is immense pleasure in completing a project like this,
                learning some skills and design techniques, and ending up with a
                functional piece of equipment.

                Shane "Mirage"...
              • Mirage
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 21 1:57 PM
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <web_dawg@y...>
                  > As for weight, I did find a scale and it comes in at a heafty
                  2lbs,
                  > 9oz, or 2.75lbs.

                  Correction, 2lb9oz is actually 2.56lbs, not 2.75lbs. Slight
                  savings of ~3oz, but not much ;)

                  Shane "Mirage"...
                • Patrick Harper
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 21 3:27 PM
                    Thank you very much on your post.  It is very informative and I look forward to seeing more pictures of it with the HH.  I do not make anywhere NEAR $48/hr as I am still in school so I suppose my cost will come in quite a bit cheaper! ;)

                    Going to try a bundle-up-night tonight with a double overlap pad and a zero degree bag in ~22 degree temps tonight just to see if it will work for a weekend trip out to a nearby lake...  basically I just made an overlap pad out of one blue target pad and stuck it ontop of another blue pad that is left whole... my thinking is that it is one extra layer under my main body, and one layer the entire length of my legs, etc.  I will let you know how it goes!

                    -Patrick

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 21 5:51 PM
                      Me neither Patrick only ive been out of school 20+years. But I see
                      Shanes point. At times its the pride and experiencs of making your
                      own but if a profesionlly made product meets your criteria then it
                      is often cheaper (figuring time invested) to by something. Of couse
                      Shane probably missed a few "good" shows on the TV while he made his
                      quilt.

                      Coy Boy

                      <pharper@k...> wrote:
                      > Thank you very much on your post. It is very informative and I
                      look forward
                      > to seeing more pictures of it with the HH. I do not make anywhere
                      NEAR
                      > $48/hr as I am still in school so I suppose my cost will come in
                      quite a bit
                      > cheaper! ;)
                      >
                      > Going to try a bundle-up-night tonight with a double overlap pad
                      and a zero
                      > degree bag in ~22 degree temps tonight just to see if it will work
                      for a
                      > weekend trip out to a nearby lake... basically I just made an
                      overlap pad
                      > out of one blue target pad and stuck it ontop of another blue pad
                      that is
                      > left whole... my thinking is that it is one extra layer under my
                      main body,
                      > and one layer the entire length of my legs, etc. I will let you
                      know how it
                      > goes!
                      >
                      > -Patrick

                      of Service.
                    • Mirage
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 22 8:58 AM

                        > Shane probably missed a few "good" shows on the TV while he made
                        his
                        > quilt.
                        >
                        > Coy Boy

                        Nah, no reason for that ;) (got a TV in the sewing/craft/kids room)

                        Are there any "good" shows??? Ok, never mind, lets not got there,
                        way OT...

                        Shane "Mirage"...