Pardon my ignorance

  • ghman777
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2004
      but wouldnt a good breathable bivy over the sleeping bag serve the
      same purpose as something like the Pea Pod?
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2004
        Not used inside the hammock (over a bag) if that is how you meant.
        Most bivies are just to small to go outside, but if you can sling
        one around your hammock then yes. Ricks travel pod is esentially a
        bivy for a hammock. The Pea Pod and new down Pod arnt really bivys,
        more like sleeping bags but also surrond the hammock. A bivy or
        travel pod around the pea pod/down pod would give more wind
        protection, trap another layer of air and extend the temp range a
        little more. After awhile you might get lost under all
        these "layers" .

        I dont reconize the addy/ where might be your stomping grounds/ if
        you dont mind my asking.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ghman777" <ghman777@y...>
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2004
          Hello Coy, Im in the NC Mtns near Asheville. Im doing alot of
          experimenting. I was thinking I guess of just using a bivy over the
          bag inside the hammock. Ive ordered a Volara foam pad I can cut down
          to size to put between my double layer hammock.

          foambymail.com/Volara

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2004
            very beautiful country therbouts. As for using the bivy inside the
            hammcok. my thinking is that it would probably be real hard to get
            in and out of. And one advantage of a bivy like Ricks Travel Pod
            over just a bivy is the traped air under you. I have a bivy sack
            and I cant imagine trying to get in it while in a hammock. hard
            enough on flat ground. maybe your bivy has side zippers or
            something mine dont.