Re: How about this for sleeping warmth on an AT thruhike...

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2004
      Sesa,

      You have the makings of a good AT set-up. Beginning in March, I'd
      suggest a couple small changes:

      Take a look at the new Thermarest ultralites that have just come out
      in 2004. I understand they have a fabric which does not slide as much
      as the present thermarest. This has been a problem in the hammock for
      many of us.

      I doubt that you will need both a down underquilt and a pad. The
      underquilt shown at the ThruHiker site is quite remarkable. I read
      the article carefully and was impressed how much work it took to shape
      properly. I think that a Speer TopQuilt, clipped with elastic to the
      bottom of a hammock will not do nearly as well. It will thin out to
      no thickness for much of its coverage or will hang away from the
      hammock, allowing cold air between the hammock and the down. I have
      tried this, in several ways, without much success.

      A better idea might be the "waterproof cover" you are thinking about
      to cover the bottom of the hammock. Made out of either silnylon or
      even just plain 1.1 oz ripstop, a layer under the hennessy does a lot
      to increase comfort on windy cold nights. I find it unnecessary above
      about 45 F. Different approaches are the Garlington Insulator and my
      TravelPod. If you want links to those ideas, check out the archives
      here, or they are both documented on my site at:

      http://www.imrisk.com

      A single layer of cloth under the hammock - maybe filled with a little
      of my hiking gear, plus the thermarest, makes me comfortable down to
      about 20-25F, which is about as low as I would expect to see during a
      thru hike that begins in March.

      The southern "rain forest" may be more comfortable using an oversized
      tarp, like the Hennessy now offers. I would opt for a larger tarp
      like this without doubt.

      Have fun in your testing and your planning. Let us know how your
      trial runs turn out.