WarmHammock

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2004
      Good evening hammock gang,

      I have been working on a hammock with integral insulation. My first
      two attempts with down have been unsuccessful. I went back to the
      drawing board a third time and had some success last night.

      See the picture of the WarmHammock in the Photos folder under the
      Flyfisher album in this group.

      I bought 14 feet of 44 inch wide polyester from WalyWorld last night
      and a 3/8 bat of polyfill meant for a baby crib comforter. Total
      cost: $14.

      I scavanged the webbing from another hammock.

      I cut the material into a 4 foot and a ten foot length, sealing all
      raw edges with a hot knife.

      I sewed a half inch single fold over hem along the long edges of the
      ten foot section , sewing with a zigzag stitch 2mm long and 2mm wide.

      I took the 48x44 inch section and sewed three one-inch foldovers on
      each side. At the 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 distances along each side, I
      pinned an inch long overlap and then sewed a hem all the way around
      the piece of cloth with a standard stitch. The created a rectangular
      section, whose middle baloons out.

      Next I sewed three sides of this pouch to the center four feet of the
      hammock with a zigzag stitch. The insulation covers the hammock from
      my shoulders to below my knees, with my head at either end. The
      zigzag stitch allows the hammock material to stretch without worrying
      about different stretch amounts that the polyester thread and the
      polyester cloth need to stretch. (The cloth seems to be about the
      same weight as 1.9 oz ripstop, except that it is more breathable.)

      Then I inserted the insulation as a double thickness. Before sewing
      the fourth side shut, I used a needle and thread to quilt between the
      hammock and the balooning shell a single loop every 6 inches or so,
      all the way to the edges. Finally I sewed the final edge shut.

      Total cutting, sewing, quilting time was about 2 hours.

      The secret to getting the insulation to puff out is to make a pocket
      with edges shortened with darts (fold overs). Otherwise, the hammock
      stretches and the outside of the pocket crushes the insulation against
      my body. Armed with this knowldge, I need to redo my down insulation
      hammock.

      I slept in the hammock last night for half the night. Outside
      temperature was 22 F. I was warm under my quilt. I was warmer when I
      put a TravelPod over the hammock.

      Today I napped in the hammock, bounced around in it some, looked for
      any sign of material weakness from the sewing, checked to make sure
      the insulation was staying puffed out. Everything seemed in order.

      Weight of the hammock prototype and straps is 27 oz. This compares
      with my double bottom hammoc's weight of 20 oz. That equals the
      weight of the double bottom hammock plus the target pad. And I get
      nearly an inch of insulation instead of a quarter inch.

      I have ordered some 1 inch thick PolarGuard II for second prototype.
      I will make this one out of nylon. More details later as the project
      gains momentum.

      Risk
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2005
        Just finished my first WarmHammock! It looks ok, but I'm a little
        concerned because I don't think I made the darts big enough, so the
        insulation will probably squish down too much! AAARGH!! I'm
        expecting to rip it apart to redo the darts after my first
        test...probably tomorrow.

        That and it's bulky...but the Primaloft is 60"x36"x2.6" so I kinda
        expected that. The hammock is 9'x58" from uncoated RN on the
        Walmart $1 rack...awesome dark green color.

        I realized halfway through that my machine is broken!! :( I was
        able to finish but I'll have to look at it before I make anything
        else...it's the top tensioner not putting ANY tension on the thread.

        And some good news...I grabbed a bunch of DWR not too long ago from
        Walmart. Turns out a lot of it was silnylon! I checked the first
        roll and assumed it was all DWR, so it was a nice surprise to find
        that out yesterday! It's the small victories, ya know? :) I think
        my first silnylon project will be a goose-neck stuff sack to use as
        a pack liner, then to hang food at night so it won't get wet.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2005
          jwj32542 wrote:

          >Just finished my first WarmHammock! It looks ok, but I'm a little
          >concerned because I don't think I made the darts big enough, so the
          >insulation will probably squish down too much! AAARGH!! I'm
          >expecting to rip it apart to redo the darts after my first
          >test...probably tomorrow.

          I went through the same process twice. The darts need to really be as
          big as what I specify. The size of the ballooning it makes is pretty
          big and then gets pulled back together with the quilt ties.

          Rick
        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2005
            You probably already know this. Check to see that the thread is
            threaded between the discs like it should be. If it does and tension
            is still too low, and the adjusting knob isn't helping, then use a
            business card or floss to try to clear out any bits of thread or lint
            that may be holding the discs apart. If all else fails, you can take
            it apart and look at it to see if there's anything stuck in there.
            Just make sure you pay attention so that you can get it all back
            together correctly.

            Also, some machines release the top tension when the foot is raised,
            so make sure there's nothing going on that would make your machine
            think that the foot is raised. Like what, I don't know.

            Bill in Houston

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 28, 2005
              Thanks for the help. Actually, the tensioning disk is just flopping
              around like it slipped off the spring. At least I hope that's all
              it is! Mine doesn't release when the foot is raised, either. I'll
              unscrew the cover today and see what's up in there...

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda"
              <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

              > You probably already know this. Check to see that the thread is
              > threaded between the discs like it should be. If it does and
              tension
              > is still too low, and the adjusting knob isn't helping, then use a
              > business card or floss to try to clear out any bits of thread or
              lint
              > that may be holding the discs apart. If all else fails, you can
              take
              > it apart and look at it to see if there's anything stuck in
              there.
              > Just make sure you pay attention so that you can get it all back
              > together correctly.
              >
              > Also, some machines release the top tension when the foot is
              raised,
              > so make sure there's nothing going on that would make your machine
              > think that the foot is raised. Like what, I don't know.
              >
              > Bill in Houston
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > I realized halfway through that my machine is broken!! :( I
              was
              > > able to finish but I'll have to look at it before I make
              anything
              > > else...it's the top tensioner not putting ANY tension on the
              thread.

            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 28, 2005
                > Mine doesn't release when the foot is raised, either.

                Oops...yeah it does. Nothing's broke.

                Two hours in my hammock at a windy 35F and I was fine. A bit cool
                but I easily could have slept. As I expected, the insulation is
                crushed too much so I'll have to fix it. I used the hammock and No
                Sniveller with sweat pants, sweat shirt and watch cap.

                I also had a zipperless drawstring sock-type DWR TravelPod that
                really helped with the wind. I'm going to add a ridgeline and bug
                netting over the face hole (about 30" slit at the seam) to use it
                with my other hammock on chilly nights when the bugs are still out,
                instead of bringing the WarmHammock or underquilt.
              • zippydooda
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
                  Ha, too funny. Glad it worked out.