Record low

  • polecatpop
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2004
      What is the record for hammock sleeping?
      Has anyone gone sub zero yet?

      Ralph

      From Kampfire discussion

      I'm off to the woods for the weekend. It's cold. Real cold. The
      high today was supposed to be 6F. Tomorrow, I think it's even
      colder. Fortunately, there's no wind.

      I may set a new record tonight for hammock sleeping.

      I have a backup, just in case.

      See ya Monday.

      Tim
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2004
        > What is the record for hammock sleeping?
        > Has anyone gone sub zero yet?

        I've been down to -29 degrees F. As I recall, I was nicely warm. My kit
        was rather heavy, though. Pulling a pulk isn't the same as wearing a pack.

        Shane (not Mirage)
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2004
          Shane Steinkamp wrote:
          What is the record for hammock sleeping?
          Has anyone gone sub zero yet?

          I've been down to -29 degrees F.  As I recall, I was nicely warm.  My kit
          was rather heavy, though.  Pulling a pulk isn't the same as wearing a pack.

          Shane (not Mirage)

          Shane,

          Outdoor suspended hammock sleeping at that temperature!  I am impressed and did not know.  What layers of insulation did you use?

          Rick

        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2004
            > Outdoor suspended hammock sleeping at that temperature! I am
            > impressed and did not know. What layers of insulation did
            > you use?

            You'll laugh at me...

            A closed cell foam pad about 5/8 inch thick, wrapped in thin plastic, which
            was then wrapped in two wool blankets. I was toasty warm, but I also had
            ALL my clothes on, and a slightly complicated tarp setup...not to mention
            the 9 pound arctic sleeping bag. You know...the one that's good to -30...

            That was just over 15 years ago now. I've learned a few things in the
            middle. I figure that knowing what I know now I could match that
            temperature with a lot lighter load. I still have some experiments to do...

            Shane
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2004
              Shane Steinkamp wrote:
              Outdoor suspended hammock sleeping at that temperature!  I am
              impressed and did not know.  What layers of insulation did
              you use?

              You'll laugh at me...

              I never laugh at someone who sleeps outside in sub zero weather and lives to describe it.  Additional credit given for preserving all anatomy in the experience.
              A closed cell foam pad about 5/8 inch thick, wrapped in thin plastic, which
              was then wrapped in two wool blankets.  I was toasty warm, but I also had
              ALL my clothes on, and a slightly complicated tarp setup...not to mention
              the 9 pound arctic sleeping bag.  You know...the one that's good to -30...

              That was just over 15 years ago now.  I've learned a few things in the
              middle.  I figure that knowing what I know now I could match that
              temperature with a lot lighter load.  I still have some experiments to do...

              Shane

              You should be recommended to Sgt Rock for one of his merit awards just for that experience.

              I was going to do some experimenting with the 10  F night we are about to have, but I did not get finished with my new little down bottomed hammock in time.  I went to the high school basket ball game with my son instead of sewing and then pumping down.  There will be other cold days.

              Rick
            • polecatpop
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 9, 2004
                Dang, I was hoping to promote some discussion and a whole chain on
                claims and you jump in with a -29°.

                I was also hgoping to sneek out in my backyard one clear night with
                overkill foam pads and really impress you Texas, Louisiana, Georgia
                folks with a -20°. But I'd have to work to find a -29° spot.

                Now how am I gonna make it into Guinniss?

                Ralph

                PS did you know if you have num lock on, hold down the alt key and
                then 2 4 8 you get a degree symbol ° .