Re: Does anyone have a decent pic of snakeskins in use w/ HH??

  • irene_r_1999 <irene_r_1999@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
      Sgt. Rocks's site (www.hikinghq.net) has a number of pictures of
      snakeskins being used. The photos are in a series so you can see the
      whole procedure for setup and take down.

      Jim
    • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
        <dchinell@m...> wrote:
        > Tim:
        >
        > I've got three photos that show them in use, but they're
        > 144K each. I'd rather send them to you than post them. Is
        > that okay?
        >
        > Bear

        That would be fine Bear, Thanks!

        Tim
      • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003

        • Ernest Engman <ebengman@hikinghq.net>
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
            I love the snake skins and have retrofit all my Hennesse Hammocks to
            use the Snakeskins. Here is a pic of snakeskins on my Ultralight A-
            Sym: http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html

            SGT Rock

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7 <tcoug7@a...>"
            <tcoug7@a...> wrote:
            > If you do, could you please post.
            > I've yet to find a decent pic. Reviews are either they are the
            > greatest thing since sliced bread or just a pain.
            >
            > I'd like to see how they work before I purchase them.
            >

            > A picture is worth a thousand words....
            >
            > Thanks..Tim
          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
              > I love the snake skins and have retrofit all my Hennessey
              > Hammocks to use the Snakeskins. Here is a pic of
              > snakeskins on my Ultralight A-Sym:
              http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html

              > SGT Rock

              Great page Sarge. I just took a bunch of pictures this last weekend showing
              my preferred use of them. They really are great!

              BTW, in item #4, you have "Pull the sleeves back to revel the hammock, if
              you packed it right, only the fly will be exposed - keeping the hammock part
              dry." While I revel in my hammock, I think in this context you mean
              'reveal'.

              Shane
            • Marge Prothman
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                Hey Thanks Sgt.Rock
                I liked your pictures, they were great, I also learned something. I often
                wondered which end my feet are going to be when I put up the hammock, it
                never occurred to me just to mark it on my snakeskins or someplace.

                For me the Snakeskins are really easy to put on, and I just never take them
                off, I think the people who have found them to be a pain, were people who
                did not get the correct size to start with, then yes, if they are not big
                enough to slide over the hammock, they could be a pain.

                Cheers,

                Marge [The Old Gal]
                http://www.prothman.org/marge
              • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                  Ernest,

                  Good afternoon.

                  I followed the link to find out what the snake skins were all about.
                  I had previously been to several parts of your pages, but not all the
                  way into the hammock pages. Great work. I appreciate the time you
                  spent to take pictures and share your experience.

                  I also took the rabbit trail to see what you said about setting up in
                  the rain without snake skins.

                  As I saw you sitting there and imagined you on a bit of a wet day, I
                  went out and cut a little scrap of rescued Tyveck about 12 x 20
                  inches and crumpled it 5 or six times. Purpose: to sit on in the
                  snow or on wet ground or on a tree trunk. I had learned this little
                  trick years ago from the AF survival techs, but had nearly forgotten
                  it. When I brought the little rectangle into work today to weigh it,
                  it came to 20 grams. I stuffed it into an outside mesh pocket on my
                  rucksack. I think it will come in hand for all the above, and also
                  for putting on the ground so I can stand up and retrieve my shoes
                  without getting socks wet in the morning...

                  Rick
                • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Engman
                    <ebengman@h...>" <ebengman@h...> wrote:
                    > I love the snake skins and have retrofit all my Hennesse Hammocks
                    > use the Snakeskins. Here is a pic of snakeskins on my Ultralight A-
                    > Sym: http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html
                    >
                    > SGT Rock

                    thanks Sarge, that answered a lot of questions.
                  • Ernest Engman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                      Thanks. I try.

                      Ernest Engman

[...]