[Hammock Camping] Re: Air bladder for warmth?

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
      No not bubble wrap. but refletix is just glorafied bubble wrap.
      probably a little benifit from the reflective surface and a little
      toughter than plain bubble wrap. My 2 year old reflectix pad is
      starting to show lots of wear.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jjoven_49" <hoz49@h...>
      wrote:
      > ra1@i... wrote:
      > > Warmth groupies,
      > The insulation is best provided by layer
      > > upon layer of chambers. Inside each chamber there exists a
      > convection current
      > > of air movement which tends to move heat across the chamber.
      The
      > more layers of
      > > such chambers, the better the insulation.
      > >

      > Has anyone tried bubble wrap? I have a paddling buddy who uses it
      as
      > a sleep pad on our canoe trips. Lightweight and inexpensive.
    • Randy Saylor
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004

        >Has anyone tried bubble wrap? I have a paddling buddy who uses it
        as
        a sleep pad on our canoe trips. Lightweight and inexpensive.

        I have been thinking along this line too. However bubble wrap big enough to secure on the underside of the hammock would result in a huge volume for packing. A light weight plastic pad that could be blown up - like a lightweight version of a thermarest - that is purpose built for the underside of a hammock might have excellent insulating properties.

        It would have to either seamed into tubes or baffled so that it would maintain a flat profile. I bet nothing like this exists at the present time. I am not thinking this would be good enough for winter but it might be great for the shoulder seasons.

        Randy