[Hammock Camping] Re: Air bladder for warmth?

  • jjoven_49
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 8 5:09 AM
      ra1@i... wrote:
      > Warmth groupies,
      The insulation is best provided by layer
      > upon layer of chambers. Inside each chamber there exists a
      convection current
      > of air movement which tends to move heat across the chamber. The
      more layers of
      > such chambers, the better the insulation.

      Has anyone tried bubble wrap? I have a paddling buddy who uses it as
      a sleep pad on our canoe trips. Lightweight and inexpensive.
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8 6:03 AM
        No not bubble wrap. but refletix is just glorafied bubble wrap.
        probably a little benifit from the reflective surface and a little
        toughter than plain bubble wrap. My 2 year old reflectix pad is
        starting to show lots of wear.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jjoven_49" <hoz49@h...>
        wrote:
        > ra1@i... wrote:
        > > Warmth groupies,
        > The insulation is best provided by layer
        > > upon layer of chambers. Inside each chamber there exists a
        > convection current
        > > of air movement which tends to move heat across the chamber.
        The
        > more layers of
        > > such chambers, the better the insulation.
        > >

        > Has anyone tried bubble wrap? I have a paddling buddy who uses it
        as
        > a sleep pad on our canoe trips. Lightweight and inexpensive.
      • Randy Saylor
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8 6:31 AM

          >Has anyone tried bubble wrap? I have a paddling buddy who uses it
          as
          a sleep pad on our canoe trips. Lightweight and inexpensive.

          I have been thinking along this line too. However bubble wrap big enough to secure on the underside of the hammock would result in a huge volume for packing. A light weight plastic pad that could be blown up - like a lightweight version of a thermarest - that is purpose built for the underside of a hammock might have excellent insulating properties.

          It would have to either seamed into tubes or baffled so that it would maintain a flat profile. I bet nothing like this exists at the present time. I am not thinking this would be good enough for winter but it might be great for the shoulder seasons.

          Randy