Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: down pad hammock

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
      > If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro, I
      > will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too.

      Staple it before sewing.

      > Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-)

      NEVER use superglue on fabric. Never use superglue on ANYTHING that isn't
      inflexible to start with.

      > btw, has anybody tried adhesives instead of sewing?

      Various kinds of rubber cement can work to hold things in place for
      stitching if you apply some to each surface to be attached then wait until
      it sets some before sticking them together. I don't think it would be
      enough on its own. Barge cement works OK. The stuff that was really good
      has all been banned...

      Shane
    • ciyd01
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
        > > If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro,
        > > will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too.
        >
        > Staple it before sewing.

        My biggest problem is broken needles and bird nesting so the stapling
        won't help.

        > > Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-)
        >
        > NEVER use superglue on fabric. Never use superglue on ANYTHING
        that isn't
        > inflexible to start with.

        Thanks. You just saved me some time with experimenting with
        adhesives. :-)

        > > btw, has anybody tried adhesives instead of sewing?
        >
        > Various kinds of rubber cement can work to hold things in place for
        > stitching if you apply some to each surface to be attached then
        wait until
        > it sets some before sticking them together.

        I prefer fusing tape or sheets. It doesn't work for silnylon, but
        then very little does stick to silnylon. The fusing tape has the
        advantage that it disolves when the item is washed. It's not
        permanent either.

        ciyd
      • Debra Weisenstein
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
          I just sew the stuff like normal after pinning and usually have no
          trouble with it. Have you tried different needle sizes?

          DebW