[Hammock Camping] Re: down pad hammock

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
      If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro, I
      will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too. That
      stuff is such a pain in the neck. I have started using a zipper foot
      on the sewing machine and that seems to *help* but is not a cure-all.

      Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-) btw, has anybody
      tried adhesives instead of sewing?

      ciyd

    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
        btw, has anybody
        > tried adhesives instead of sewing?
        >
        > ciyd

        Yes.

        Don't waste your time and fabric.

        Rick
      • Shane
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
          > If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro, I
          > will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too.

          Staple it before sewing.

          > Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-)

          NEVER use superglue on fabric. Never use superglue on ANYTHING that isn't
          inflexible to start with.

          > btw, has anybody tried adhesives instead of sewing?

          Various kinds of rubber cement can work to hold things in place for
          stitching if you apply some to each surface to be attached then wait until
          it sets some before sticking them together. I don't think it would be
          enough on its own. Barge cement works OK. The stuff that was really good
          has all been banned...

          Shane
        • ciyd01
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
            > > If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro,
            > > will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too.
            >
            > Staple it before sewing.

            My biggest problem is broken needles and bird nesting so the stapling
            won't help.

            > > Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-)
            >
            > NEVER use superglue on fabric. Never use superglue on ANYTHING
            that isn't
            > inflexible to start with.

            Thanks. You just saved me some time with experimenting with
            adhesives. :-)

            > > btw, has anybody tried adhesives instead of sewing?
            >
            > Various kinds of rubber cement can work to hold things in place for
            > stitching if you apply some to each surface to be attached then
            wait until
            > it sets some before sticking them together.

            I prefer fusing tape or sheets. It doesn't work for silnylon, but
            then very little does stick to silnylon. The fusing tape has the
            advantage that it disolves when the item is washed. It's not
            permanent either.

            ciyd
          • Debra Weisenstein
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
              I just sew the stuff like normal after pinning and usually have no
              trouble with it. Have you tried different needle sizes?

              DebW