Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Air bladder for warmth?

  • thru_hike@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
      Sounds like a potential application for Tyvek...?
      --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:
      > yes, it works but you'll want to have some
      > lightweight foam or other
      > material inside your bag to keep the warmest air
      > near your body. The
      > main improvement you will experience with a custom
      > made airbag over
      > commercial air matresses is the custom unit will be
      > much lighter
      > since the under-hammock bag doesn't have to support
      > any weight.
      >
      > However, trashbags are good enough for a week-long
      > trip.
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sesa"
      > <atypical_genuis@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Instead of a down underquilt, would an air bladder
      > work? I don't
      > mean
      > > an air mattress, I was thinking along the lines of
      > an industrial air
      > > bladder, custom made, if I could find a company to
      > make an
      > ultralight
      > > one. Thoughts?

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      =====
      A bad day of hiking is better than any good day at the office.

    • jjoven_49
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
        ra1@i... wrote:
        > Warmth groupies,
        The insulation is best provided by layer
        > upon layer of chambers. Inside each chamber there exists a
        convection current
        > of air movement which tends to move heat across the chamber. The
        more layers of
        > such chambers, the better the insulation.

        Has anyone tried bubble wrap? I have a paddling buddy who uses it as
        a sleep pad on our canoe trips. Lightweight and inexpensive.
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
          No not bubble wrap. but refletix is just glorafied bubble wrap.
          probably a little benifit from the reflective surface and a little
          toughter than plain bubble wrap. My 2 year old reflectix pad is
          starting to show lots of wear.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jjoven_49" <hoz49@h...>
          wrote:
          > ra1@i... wrote:
          > > Warmth groupies,
          > The insulation is best provided by layer
          > > upon layer of chambers. Inside each chamber there exists a
          > convection current
          > > of air movement which tends to move heat across the chamber.
          The
          > more layers of
          > > such chambers, the better the insulation.
          > >

          > Has anyone tried bubble wrap? I have a paddling buddy who uses it
          as
          > a sleep pad on our canoe trips. Lightweight and inexpensive.
        • Randy Saylor
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004

            >Has anyone tried bubble wrap? I have a paddling buddy who uses it
            as
            a sleep pad on our canoe trips. Lightweight and inexpensive.

            I have been thinking along this line too. However bubble wrap big enough to secure on the underside of the hammock would result in a huge volume for packing. A light weight plastic pad that could be blown up - like a lightweight version of a thermarest - that is purpose built for the underside of a hammock might have excellent insulating properties.

            It would have to either seamed into tubes or baffled so that it would maintain a flat profile. I bet nothing like this exists at the present time. I am not thinking this would be good enough for winter but it might be great for the shoulder seasons.

            Randy