Hand Warmers

  • Ed Speer <info@speerhammocks.com>
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 5, 2003
      Has anyone used the chemical hand warmers in their hammock? I've
      not, but am wondering if they are heat/weight efficient enough for
      serious cold weather...Ed
    • J Cornelius
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 5, 2003

        Seeing as I have JUST received my hammock – here’s a couple of ideas – place a hand warmer between layers of your clothing close to your chest. Also, place one in between pairs of socks on each foot, if your head needs a little help, place one in the “rim” of the hat (I’m thinking wool cap) and roll up once or twice

        What do those ideas sound like??

        Jodi

        Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

      • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 5, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer <info@s...>"
          <info@s...> wrote:
          > Has anyone used the chemical hand warmers in their hammock? I've
          > not, but am wondering if they are heat/weight efficient enough for
          > serious cold weather...Ed

          Ed, you got really big hands or something??? -;)

          Tim
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 5, 2003
            Message
            I guess I have been accused of having a big head, but...Ed

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 5, 2003
              Message
              Yeah Jodi, that's what I'm thinking.  Just wondering if it actually works...Ed

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 5, 2003
                I ended up using handwarmers when I used my hammock at the
                then "record low" (for me) of 30 F. I had bought them on a whim at
                the last minute when I stopped in a store for some food right before
                getting to the trailhead. That night, shortly after getting in my
                hammock, I felt my feet getting cold. I only had a 3/4 Ridgerest and
                part of my body was going to be off it no matter what I did. I put
                the hand warmer things in my socks and boy did they work. The advice
                to use 2 pairs of sock and put them between them is good becasue
                those suckers got too hot. Haveing never used hand warmers before I
                was pretty surprised by how hot they got and even more so by how long
                they continue to generate heat. 8 hours later they were still hot.
                So, in my experience they do work. Although I now just carry two
                pieces of sleeping pad so that all my body parts can be on them.

                One of the hand warmer packs set itself off spontaneously in my pack
                and I could feel it against my back, so guess you need to try to pack
                them where they won't be squeezed.

                stephanie

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 5, 2003
                  Message
                  Thanks for the feedback Stephanie.  I have a couple of old ones that I'm going to try tonight--expecting about 30*F also.  I certainly didn't realize they worked for 8 hrs!  In that case, then they would be useful for car camping or so where weight is not a problem....Ed

                • Ernest Engman <ebengman@hikinghq.net>
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
                    Are these warmers single use or multiple use?

                    SGT Rock

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "stephanie <sswaim63@s...>"

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
                      The hand warmers I tried last night failed--they lasted only 3 hrs
                      (not the 10 hrs advertised on the package)and never got really hot.
                      They were bought in 1999, so maybe they're too old or something.
                      They were HOTHANDS-2 by Heatmax; the iron fillings type. Each pouch
                      is 2" X 3.5" and weighs 0.6 oz. Has anyone else had a similar
                      experience or tried a different kind?...Ed
                    • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
                        They were HOTHANDS-2 by Heatmax; the iron fillings type. Each pouch
                        > is 2" X 3.5" and weighs 0.6 oz. Has anyone else had a similar
                        > experience or tried a different kind?...Ed

                        I have used two hand warmers ... Not for camping, but for watching
                        sports.

                        As a kid I had a hand warmer fueled with lighter fluid. There was
                        some kind of combustion going on, it stunk pretty bad, and I mention
                        it only because I would NEVER recommend someone use one. They are
                        probably illegal by now anyway!

                        In the last few years, I have occasionally found sports medicine
                        vendors who give away little pouches of liquid with a metalic clicker
                        inside the pouch. Click the little disk and the pouch's contents
                        begin to crystalize. The warmth lasts about 2-3 hours, and it might
                        make a nice way to end the night before the sun comes up.

                        I assume the science is that the liquid is a supersaturated solution
                        of a salt like AlSO4 (Alum) and the thermal energy of the clicker is
                        enough to seed the solution and release the heat of crystalization.
                        They can be regenerated by putting the pouch in boiling water for a
                        few minutes until all the salt disolves into the liquid and then
                        letting them cool slowly. I have cycled them dozens of times.

                        I have never used them camping or hiking, but think this ability to
                        regenerate would be considerably better for the hiker's use than the
                        one time use stuff normally sold to atheletes and trainers.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
                          Message
                          Yeah, Rick, that reusable part does sound useful.  Guess these are not commerically available?  Maybe someone else has a source....Ed

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
                            Maybe someone else has a source....Ed

                            I did a search... there are several out there, but here is a link to
                            one... A 5 buck experiment might be useful.

                            http://campingsurvival.com/ezheatreusha.html

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003

                                Some can be re-used – some not – depends on how they are activated – ones I use during hunting season can be re-activated but are not as hot as the first time.

                              • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 7, 2003
                                  Ed,
                                  I've used the same kind. They now come in both 10 & 12 hour versions
                                  (don't know if the 12s are new and the 10s are old stock). I haven't
                                  had the problems you did. They heat up hot & stay very warm through
                                  the night.

                                  I do the sock treatment if I'm really really cold or just the
                                  stomach if I'm just really cold. I tried the hat trick but my head
                                  got too hot & my feet didn't.

                                  Try some new ones. You can find them pretty cheap so it's worth an
                                  experiment or two.

                                  Jim

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 7, 2003
                                    Message
                                    Thanks Jim, I will try some new ones.  The warmth advantages for something that weights only 0.6 oz is well worth some more testing....Ed

                                    <info@s...> wrote:
                                    > The hand warmers I tried last night failed--they lasted only 3 hrs
                                    > (not the 10 hrs advertised on the package)and never got really
                                    hot.
                                    > They were bought in 1999, so maybe they're too old or something.
                                    > They were HOTHANDS-2 by Heatmax; the iron fillings type.  Each
                                    pouch
                                    > is 2" X 3.5" and weighs 0.6 oz.  Has anyone else had a similar
                                    > experience or tried a different kind?...Ed

                                  • stephanie
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 8, 2003
                                      Hi Ed,

                                      The handwarmers I used were also HeatMax but they are called "foot
                                      warmups". They weigh 1.5 oz for a 2 pack in packaging.
                                      The instructions say they will have max heat of 110F for 6 hours but they
                                      sure felt hotter than that to me. And lasted longer. Now, I remember I had
                                      two different sized and so the other ones were probably the "hothands",
                                      which an internet search says lasts up to 10 hours at 135 or so, ..I can't
                                      find those now though. I'm pretty sure the foot warmer ones were the ones
                                      I used though. I saw they had a 5 year shelf life. I'd try again if I were
                                      you.

                                      The reusable kind of warmers, I'm not positive, but think that they last a
                                      much shorter time, like an hour or two. I looked on internet but none of
                                      the places I looked at that sell them mentioned how long they last. Which
                                      amazes me since that is a very pertinent piece of information and ought to
                                      be included in ads for the product!

                                      I slept in my hammock again at about 32 degrees last night. It's the crazy
                                      crib and used a 3/4 Ridgerest and a 23 inch wide 3/8 inch blue foam pad. I
                                      have a 15 degree bag that I use as a quilt with the foot zipped up so my
                                      feet are in a foot pocket.My shoulders and hips are wide and I'm tired of
                                      trying to stay perfectly positioned to stay on them and keep from getting
                                      cold spots. I got another piece I use like a tee where my shoulders are so
                                      it wraps around them. I'm going to try the Target 27 inch wide pad. If
                                      that doesn't work I'm going to find one of those 40 inch wide pads or else
                                      cut and paste other pads together to get more width. The Crib has a pad
                                      sleeve but can only accept up to a 23 inch or so pad. I was warm last
                                      night though. I tried sleeping in just underwear but then my legs got cold
                                      even if they barely touched any part of the hammock...so I ended up
                                      sleeping in long underwear. I bought a little cheap thermometer so that i
                                      could get an idea of what the temperature actually was when out
                                      hiking. Unfortunately I think it's useless as it said it was 20 degrees
                                      and I'm sure it wasn't that cold. There was no ice in my water or anything
                                      at any rate. maybe it was measuring wind chill as I'm sure the wind chill
                                      was 20 degrees or less. I was camped in a valley by a creek and the wind
                                      was gusting, calm one minute, then 20 mph or so the next. You could hear it
                                      coming up the valley, pretty neat. I had my tarp set up just as a
                                      windbreak so I could see the stars, but the wind changed direction and so I
                                      was getting it full force sometimes..i didn't get cold so didn't bother to
                                      get up and change tarp configuration.

                                      I also found out how one falls out of a hammock. I've never had any
                                      problem with feeling like I'm going to tip out of a hammock, and kinda
                                      didn't understand why people would say that was a concern. Well for some
                                      reason,something about the way I entered the hammock last night the first
                                      time was different from what I've been doing. Swung my legs in and
                                      kaplump!...before I knew what happened I'd flipped over and was on the
                                      ground on the other side...pretty comical really. The only bad thing is
                                      that the incident tore the bug netting at the foot of the Crib (which is
                                      part of a BGT test).

                                      stephanie

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 20, 2003
                                          Ed/Rick,

                                          I decided to check up on the EZHeat reusable heat packs to see if
                                          they were an acceptable substitute for the more traditional
                                          disposable hand warmers.

                                          I ordered two EZHeat packs from campingsurvival.com and they arrived
                                          yesterday. These packs are heavy clear plastic packages 4.75" x 3.5"
                                          x .75". They contain a hard white substance and a dark round metal
                                          disk about .5" dia. The directions for use are printed on the
                                          plastic. It also notes that it contains "sodium acetate (food
                                          grade)" and water.

                                          To recharge these you are to place it (wrapped in a cloth) in
                                          boiling water for 10 minutes. Then after letting it cool you can
                                          activate it to release the heat.

                                          These appear to be a phase change material that is solid when used
                                          and liquefies & turns clear when placed in the boiling water batch.
                                          The metal disc then floats in the substance.

                                          I boiled one up last night and let it cool overnight. This morning I
                                          activated the pouch (you bend the disk through the plastic bag and
                                          it magically turns to a crystalline gel that starts to harden as it
                                          releases heat --- pretty cool...my guess is that the energy of the
                                          disc snapping is enough to kick the liquid material over some
                                          threshold that causes the phase change and releases the heat).

                                          It heated up rapidly become hot (not extremely hot but not just warm
                                          either) to the touch. I placed it between my down jacket and my
                                          shirt on my stomach as I would if I were in my sleeping bag. After
                                          an hour it was merely warm to the touch and after two it was only
                                          marginally warmer than the ambient air (office). After two and a
                                          half it was solid and room temperature.

                                          My intention was to do a detailed test taking the heat pack's
                                          temperature over a period of time to see how it stacked up against
                                          traditional metal filings based hand warmers but based on this
                                          initial test, it is woefully inadequate for the task of adding extra
                                          warmth for a night's sleep in a cold hammock scenario. They will be
                                          ok for those time when you want a quick heat pack but not for
                                          anything where more than an hour or so of significant warmth is
                                          needed.

                                          So, you can save yourself the $5 test (although I did buy a neat
                                          Lensatic Compass while I was getting these so all is not wasted
                                          <grin>).

                                          Jim

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 20, 2003
                                            Message
                                            Thanks for the info, Jim.  Looks like the search continues.....Ed

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 20, 2003
                                              Thanks for the review...

                                              Yep, this is the way I remember them too... Not intended to keep you
                                              warm all night, but if the toes get cold toward morning, one could
                                              snap one and put it down in the foot of the quilt to warm up a little
                                              before getting up. Good news is that you can recharge it while
                                              cooking coffee water after getting up. Intended for comfort, not
                                              survival.

                                              Rick

                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76