Re: Air bladder for warmth?

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
      yes, it works but you'll want to have some lightweight foam or other
      material inside your bag to keep the warmest air near your body. The
      main improvement you will experience with a custom made airbag over
      commercial air matresses is the custom unit will be much lighter
      since the under-hammock bag doesn't have to support any weight.

      However, trashbags are good enough for a week-long trip.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sesa" <atypical_genuis@y...>
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
        Warmth groupies,

        I'd like to take a page out of what Ray taught me on this and add:

        It is important, for the best protection from cold, to break up the dead air
        space into many small compartments. The insulation is best provided by layer
        upon layer of chambers. Inside each chamber there exists a convection current
        of air movement which tends to move heat across the chamber. The more layers of
        such chambers, the better the insulation.

        Down works to create a very large number of convection cells, though they are
        not air tight, they break up the convection currents into what amounts to this
        from a practical standpoint.

        Ray has used crumpled newspaper and space blankets for this purpose with good
        effect. I have recently begun using my tarp, crinkled up into the air space
        for the same reason.

        The difference between the DAM mattress and a regular beach air mattress, from
        the standpoint of insulation, is the down which fills the air mattress,
        improving the efficiency of the air space many, many fold.

        So a custom air bladder will work, but it will work much better if filled with
        something like down, fiber, foam, etc.

        It is also important to get the insulating chambers up close to the skin, at
        least making sure that no cold air can get between the insulation and the
        outside of the hammock. Foam pads do this well. Underquilts need some
        mechanism to seal their edges or (better) hold the quilt directly touching the
        hammock across its surface, without squeezing the insulation into a thin,
        useless layer.

        Rick

      • thru_hike@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
          Sounds like a potential application for Tyvek...?
          --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:
          > yes, it works but you'll want to have some
          > lightweight foam or other
          > material inside your bag to keep the warmest air
          > near your body. The
          > main improvement you will experience with a custom
          > made airbag over
          > commercial air matresses is the custom unit will be
          > much lighter
          > since the under-hammock bag doesn't have to support
          > any weight.
          >
          > However, trashbags are good enough for a week-long
          > trip.
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sesa"
          > <atypical_genuis@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Instead of a down underquilt, would an air bladder
          > work? I don't
          > mean
          > > an air mattress, I was thinking along the lines of
          > an industrial air
          > > bladder, custom made, if I could find a company to
          > make an
          > ultralight
          > > one. Thoughts?

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          =====
          A bad day of hiking is better than any good day at the office.

        • jjoven_49
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
            ra1@i... wrote:
            > Warmth groupies,
            The insulation is best provided by layer
            > upon layer of chambers. Inside each chamber there exists a
            convection current
            > of air movement which tends to move heat across the chamber. The
            more layers of
            > such chambers, the better the insulation.

            Has anyone tried bubble wrap? I have a paddling buddy who uses it as
            a sleep pad on our canoe trips. Lightweight and inexpensive.
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
              No not bubble wrap. but refletix is just glorafied bubble wrap.
              probably a little benifit from the reflective surface and a little
              toughter than plain bubble wrap. My 2 year old reflectix pad is
              starting to show lots of wear.

              Coy Boy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jjoven_49" <hoz49@h...>
              wrote:
              > ra1@i... wrote:
              > > Warmth groupies,
              > The insulation is best provided by layer
              > > upon layer of chambers. Inside each chamber there exists a
              > convection current
              > > of air movement which tends to move heat across the chamber.
              The
              > more layers of
              > > such chambers, the better the insulation.
              > >

              > Has anyone tried bubble wrap? I have a paddling buddy who uses it
              as
              > a sleep pad on our canoe trips. Lightweight and inexpensive.
            • Randy Saylor
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004

                >Has anyone tried bubble wrap? I have a paddling buddy who uses it
                as
                a sleep pad on our canoe trips. Lightweight and inexpensive.

                I have been thinking along this line too. However bubble wrap big enough to secure on the underside of the hammock would result in a huge volume for packing. A light weight plastic pad that could be blown up - like a lightweight version of a thermarest - that is purpose built for the underside of a hammock might have excellent insulating properties.

                It would have to either seamed into tubes or baffled so that it would maintain a flat profile. I bet nothing like this exists at the present time. I am not thinking this would be good enough for winter but it might be great for the shoulder seasons.

                Randy