Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: down pad hammock

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
      Hi ciyd,

      I will continue to do what I can not to use velcro. I had my fill of
      it. Ed told me I will end up coming round again. He may be right.
      However, not yet.

      Rick

      >I would propose that you break the strip of velcro up into several
      >sections and sew each of these pieces to the hammock body. This
      >should allow the nylon to stretch without long lengths of chain
      >stitching and may help prevent the material failure.
      >
      >I look forward to your test results.
      >
      >ciyd

    • ciyd01
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
        If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro, I
        will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too. That
        stuff is such a pain in the neck. I have started using a zipper foot
        on the sewing machine and that seems to *help* but is not a cure-all.

        Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-) btw, has anybody
        tried adhesives instead of sewing?

        ciyd

      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
          btw, has anybody
          > tried adhesives instead of sewing?
          >
          > ciyd

          Yes.

          Don't waste your time and fabric.

          Rick
        • Shane
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
            > If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro, I
            > will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too.

            Staple it before sewing.

            > Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-)

            NEVER use superglue on fabric. Never use superglue on ANYTHING that isn't
            inflexible to start with.

            > btw, has anybody tried adhesives instead of sewing?

            Various kinds of rubber cement can work to hold things in place for
            stitching if you apply some to each surface to be attached then wait until
            it sets some before sticking them together. I don't think it would be
            enough on its own. Barge cement works OK. The stuff that was really good
            has all been banned...

            Shane
          • ciyd01
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
              > > If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro,
              > > will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too.
              >
              > Staple it before sewing.

              My biggest problem is broken needles and bird nesting so the stapling
              won't help.

              > > Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-)
              >
              > NEVER use superglue on fabric. Never use superglue on ANYTHING
              that isn't
              > inflexible to start with.

              Thanks. You just saved me some time with experimenting with
              adhesives. :-)

              > > btw, has anybody tried adhesives instead of sewing?
              >
              > Various kinds of rubber cement can work to hold things in place for
              > stitching if you apply some to each surface to be attached then
              wait until
              > it sets some before sticking them together.

              I prefer fusing tape or sheets. It doesn't work for silnylon, but
              then very little does stick to silnylon. The fusing tape has the
              advantage that it disolves when the item is washed. It's not
              permanent either.

              ciyd
            • Debra Weisenstein
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
                I just sew the stuff like normal after pinning and usually have no
                trouble with it. Have you tried different needle sizes?

                DebW