RE: Hammock Camping Does anyone have a decent pic of snakeskins in use w/ HH??

  • J Cornelius
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003

      Bear – would you send them to me also??  I’m considering the snake skins too.  Thanks!

      Jodi

      dojers@...

      Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
        Sgt. Rocks's site (www.hikinghq.net) has a number of pictures of
        snakeskins being used. The photos are in a series so you can see the
        whole procedure for setup and take down.

        Jim
      • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
          <dchinell@m...> wrote:
          > Tim:
          >
          > I've got three photos that show them in use, but they're
          > 144K each. I'd rather send them to you than post them. Is
          > that okay?
          >
          > Bear

          That would be fine Bear, Thanks!

          Tim
        • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003

          • Ernest Engman <ebengman@hikinghq.net>
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
              I love the snake skins and have retrofit all my Hennesse Hammocks to
              use the Snakeskins. Here is a pic of snakeskins on my Ultralight A-
              Sym: http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html

              SGT Rock

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7 <tcoug7@a...>"
              <tcoug7@a...> wrote:
              > If you do, could you please post.
              > I've yet to find a decent pic. Reviews are either they are the
              > greatest thing since sliced bread or just a pain.
              >
              > I'd like to see how they work before I purchase them.
              >

              > A picture is worth a thousand words....
              >
              > Thanks..Tim
            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                > I love the snake skins and have retrofit all my Hennessey
                > Hammocks to use the Snakeskins. Here is a pic of
                > snakeskins on my Ultralight A-Sym:
                http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html

                > SGT Rock

                Great page Sarge. I just took a bunch of pictures this last weekend showing
                my preferred use of them. They really are great!

                BTW, in item #4, you have "Pull the sleeves back to revel the hammock, if
                you packed it right, only the fly will be exposed - keeping the hammock part
                dry." While I revel in my hammock, I think in this context you mean
                'reveal'.

                Shane
              • Marge Prothman
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                  Hey Thanks Sgt.Rock
                  I liked your pictures, they were great, I also learned something. I often
                  wondered which end my feet are going to be when I put up the hammock, it
                  never occurred to me just to mark it on my snakeskins or someplace.

                  For me the Snakeskins are really easy to put on, and I just never take them
                  off, I think the people who have found them to be a pain, were people who
                  did not get the correct size to start with, then yes, if they are not big
                  enough to slide over the hammock, they could be a pain.

                  Cheers,

                  Marge [The Old Gal]
                  http://www.prothman.org/marge
                • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                    Ernest,

                    Good afternoon.

                    I followed the link to find out what the snake skins were all about.
                    I had previously been to several parts of your pages, but not all the
                    way into the hammock pages. Great work. I appreciate the time you
                    spent to take pictures and share your experience.

                    I also took the rabbit trail to see what you said about setting up in
                    the rain without snake skins.

                    As I saw you sitting there and imagined you on a bit of a wet day, I
                    went out and cut a little scrap of rescued Tyveck about 12 x 20
                    inches and crumpled it 5 or six times. Purpose: to sit on in the
                    snow or on wet ground or on a tree trunk. I had learned this little
                    trick years ago from the AF survival techs, but had nearly forgotten
                    it. When I brought the little rectangle into work today to weigh it,
                    it came to 20 grams. I stuffed it into an outside mesh pocket on my
                    rucksack. I think it will come in hand for all the above, and also
                    for putting on the ground so I can stand up and retrieve my shoes
                    without getting socks wet in the morning...

                    Rick
                  • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Engman
                      <ebengman@h...>" <ebengman@h...> wrote:
                      > I love the snake skins and have retrofit all my Hennesse Hammocks
                      > use the Snakeskins. Here is a pic of snakeskins on my Ultralight A-
                      > Sym: http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html
                      >
                      > SGT Rock

                      thanks Sarge, that answered a lot of questions.
                    • Ernest Engman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                        Thanks. I try.

                        Ernest Engman

[...]