Re: boat hammock

  • alidisaster
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
      Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
      Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
      space, I'll buy one.

      http://www.newtribe.com/index.html ) Tree Boat?
      > Their hammocks are designed to be used in trees and are just about
      gospel for tree
      > climbers. They use spreader bars and a four-way hanging-line
      system. They cannot
      > tip over (though I'm not sure if the lack of ability to swing would
      be what you are
      > looking for in a boat).
      >
      > Anyway have a look. Might give you some inspiration.
    • mindrehab248
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
        <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
        > Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
        > Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
        > space, I'll buy one.

        Sorry if this was already asked, but how tall are you? Several people
        taller than 6' tall, myself included, have had some difficulty
        getting comfortable. YMMV. Very well built and New Tribe is a company
        that really works with you. Patrick
      • alidisaster
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
          I'm only 5'8". My main prob is lack of space for a conventional
          hammock - so thought their solution might fit in.

          From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
          about the sleeping position.

          No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

          If I don't get a response, I might show the photo to a friend who is
          good with a sewing machine, and ask her about making something
          similar. Would prefer a properly made one tho'.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mindrehab248"

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
            > From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
            > about the sleeping position.

            I know several people who are comfortable on their sides. Back
            sleeping is apparently pretty good, too, especially if you put a
            rolled up towel or a smallish pillow behind your knees.

            > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

            Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have some
            ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.

            Patrick
          • alidisaster
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
              Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile, and don't want to
              use it to call the USA!

              At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'. don't have time
              or facilities, tho' :-|
              <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:

              > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.
              >
              > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have
              some
              > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
              >
              > Patrick
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
                Hi, I haven't really been keeping up with this
                thread, but it seems you are overseas, UK, maybe??
                Anyway I was looking a German outdoor supply store and
                found a page with hammocks they sell.
                http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/rubrik.php?&k_id=0503

                I don't really understand what you are looking for but
                maybe something here will do? This place has a lot of
                interesting stuff. Bill

                --- alidisaster <alastair.dent@...>
                wrote:
                > Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile,
                > and don't want to
                > use it to call the USA!
                >
                > At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'.
                > don't have time
                > or facilities, tho' :-|
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com,
                > "mindrehab248"
                > <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
                >

                > > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed
                > down or something.
                > >
                > > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp.
                > Sophia) might have
                > some
                > > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
                > >
                > > Patrick

              • alidisaster
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 12, 2004
                  Ordinary hammocks aren't a problem - I have 3, 2 homemade. However,
                  they won't hang in the space avail.

                  The Treeboat is designed to fit into awkward places, and be more
                  stable. This is what I need.

                  Yup, I'm from the UK

                  People don't use hammocks for camping here, as most of the good
                  walking areas are pretty treeless.