Re: down pad hammock

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
      > We agree it may be possible that the majority of the failures he has
      > found in his research can be attributed to the difference in stretch
      > between different materials. A strip of velcro sewn to the edge of
      > the hammock almost certainly stretches at a different rate than the
      > hammock nylon it is sewn to. This may lead to the threads pulling
      out
      > of the weaker hammock material and starting a tear. Also, a
      straight
      > stitch with polyester thread will not stretch as easily as the nylon
      > fabric.

      I would propose that you break the strip of velcro up into several
      sections and sew each of these pieces to the hammock body. This
      should allow the nylon to stretch without long lengths of chain
      stitching and may help prevent the material failure.

      I look forward to your test results.

      ciyd
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
        Hi ciyd,

        I will continue to do what I can not to use velcro. I had my fill of
        it. Ed told me I will end up coming round again. He may be right.
        However, not yet.

        Rick

        >I would propose that you break the strip of velcro up into several
        >sections and sew each of these pieces to the hammock body. This
        >should allow the nylon to stretch without long lengths of chain
        >stitching and may help prevent the material failure.
        >
        >I look forward to your test results.
        >
        >ciyd

      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
          If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro, I
          will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too. That
          stuff is such a pain in the neck. I have started using a zipper foot
          on the sewing machine and that seems to *help* but is not a cure-all.

          Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-) btw, has anybody
          tried adhesives instead of sewing?

          ciyd

        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
            btw, has anybody
            > tried adhesives instead of sewing?
            >
            > ciyd

            Yes.

            Don't waste your time and fabric.

            Rick
          • Shane
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
              > If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro, I
              > will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too.

              Staple it before sewing.

              > Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-)

              NEVER use superglue on fabric. Never use superglue on ANYTHING that isn't
              inflexible to start with.

              > btw, has anybody tried adhesives instead of sewing?

              Various kinds of rubber cement can work to hold things in place for
              stitching if you apply some to each surface to be attached then wait until
              it sets some before sticking them together. I don't think it would be
              enough on its own. Barge cement works OK. The stuff that was really good
              has all been banned...

              Shane
            • ciyd01
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
                > > If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro,
                > > will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too.
                >
                > Staple it before sewing.

                My biggest problem is broken needles and bird nesting so the stapling
                won't help.

                > > Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-)
                >
                > NEVER use superglue on fabric. Never use superglue on ANYTHING
                that isn't
                > inflexible to start with.

                Thanks. You just saved me some time with experimenting with
                adhesives. :-)

                > > btw, has anybody tried adhesives instead of sewing?
                >
                > Various kinds of rubber cement can work to hold things in place for
                > stitching if you apply some to each surface to be attached then
                wait until
                > it sets some before sticking them together.

                I prefer fusing tape or sheets. It doesn't work for silnylon, but
                then very little does stick to silnylon. The fusing tape has the
                advantage that it disolves when the item is washed. It's not
                permanent either.

                ciyd
              • Debra Weisenstein
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
                  I just sew the stuff like normal after pinning and usually have no
                  trouble with it. Have you tried different needle sizes?

                  DebW