RE: Hammock Camping Cold Weather

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 10, 2003
      Ed: Yup to all you said.

      I've been daydreaming about a nylon sleeve shaped like
      this...

      ----------
      / \
      ----| |----
      / | | \
      | | | |
      | | | |
      | | | |
      | | | |
      \ | | /
      ----| |----
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
      \ /
      ----------

      This is just so I get the width I need using three narrow
      pads. The advantage to separate pads is that they'd be easy
      to roll up. The middle section could have enough slack to
      allow one or two 1/2-inch pads to be slipped in.

      I think this would work in a Tropical hammock, or in an HH.
      But the material is only important when it's in the HH. For
      that application, the bottom fabric would be smooth, to
      allow sliding around as I reposition myself. The top would
      be rough to stick with me as I moved around.

      You can see something similar if you check out a Mountain
      Hardwear pad. Only, of course, their cover doesn't have the
      wings. But their choice of rough and smooth fabrics behaves
      as I've described.

      http://www.mountainhardware.com/

      Bear
      Message 59 of 59 , Jan 14, 2003
        Message
        The Velcro is 1" wide; it does gather lint & debris, but this is not a serious problem.  I like the Velcro because it always works (unlike zippers) and I can grab the bug net edges anywhere and open it to get out, even in total darkness (handy when the call of nature calls in the middle of the night)....Ed
        How wide are the strips of Velcro on the sides.  I really like that idea.  Have you had any problems with leaves or dirt or any of natures other elements making the Velcro unable to stay shut?  No I haven't gotten the book I'm looking forward to reading it.  What is the farthest distance trees can be apart?  I hope I have been a bother.  I'll be ordering it on the 12th or 15th of Feb when I get back from the honeymoon. Get your thread ready. :)
        -Jason S