Re: [Hammock Camping] thompson's water seal

  • efield
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
      Nikwax makes a product called Map Proof that works good on paper maps.

      http://www.nikwax-usa.com/

      It's under equipment care at the bottom of the page.

      Ed

      > Hiya
      > Has anyone used it on nylon products or on maps. Did it work? How long
      > did it last? Was it waterproof or water resistant? Thanks.
    • Ken Harmon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
        > Hi Scott,
        >
        > I tried printing a map with a color jet on standard paper and then
        using
        > WaterSeal. It made the water bead up, but the paper did get wet
        after
        > letting the water sit on it for a while. I decided it was not good
        > enough for kayak maps held by a bungee cord in front of the
        cockpit.
        > It was better than nothing for hiking, and nearly free. Scotch
        guard
        > might work too.
        >
        > Rick

        Rick,

        I used a color jet printer to make maps for kayaking. I then
        laminated them using a cold laminator. Water still seeped in the
        edges - I used 8 x 11 paper and that's the size of the cold
        lamination. Perhaps if I trimmed them more, the seal might be
        maintained.

        Now I laminate the maps and use a Sealline map case. It leaves the
        map visible on both sides and doesn't allow any water to enter. It
        would definitely keep a map dry while hiking.

        Ken
      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
          I've used the adventure paper that National Geographics makes with a
          color ink jet printer. Let the map dry thoroughly, takes a few
          minutes, and then the whole thing is waterproof. You can print on
          both sides of the paper. I love it! It's a bit pricey, but if
          you're going to be in the wet, it's invaluable.

          ciyd