Re: [Hammock Camping] thompson's water seal

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
      Scott.. wrote:

      >Hiya
      > Has anyone used it on nylon products or on maps. Did it work? How long
      >did it last? Was it waterproof or water resistant? Thanks.

      Hi Scott,

      I tried printing a map with a color jet on standard paper and then using
      WaterSeal. It made the water bead up, but the paper did get wet after
      letting the water sit on it for a while. I decided it was not good
      enough for kayak maps held by a bungee cord in front of the cockpit.
      It was better than nothing for hiking, and nearly free. Scotch guard
      might work too.

      Rick
    • efield
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
        Nikwax makes a product called Map Proof that works good on paper maps.

        http://www.nikwax-usa.com/

        It's under equipment care at the bottom of the page.

        Ed

        > Hiya
        > Has anyone used it on nylon products or on maps. Did it work? How long
        > did it last? Was it waterproof or water resistant? Thanks.
      • Ken Harmon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
          > Hi Scott,
          >
          > I tried printing a map with a color jet on standard paper and then
          using
          > WaterSeal. It made the water bead up, but the paper did get wet
          after
          > letting the water sit on it for a while. I decided it was not good
          > enough for kayak maps held by a bungee cord in front of the
          cockpit.
          > It was better than nothing for hiking, and nearly free. Scotch
          guard
          > might work too.
          >
          > Rick

          Rick,

          I used a color jet printer to make maps for kayaking. I then
          laminated them using a cold laminator. Water still seeped in the
          edges - I used 8 x 11 paper and that's the size of the cold
          lamination. Perhaps if I trimmed them more, the seal might be
          maintained.

          Now I laminate the maps and use a Sealline map case. It leaves the
          map visible on both sides and doesn't allow any water to enter. It
          would definitely keep a map dry while hiking.

          Ken
        • ciyd01
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
            I've used the adventure paper that National Geographics makes with a
            color ink jet printer. Let the map dry thoroughly, takes a few
            minutes, and then the whole thing is waterproof. You can print on
            both sides of the paper. I love it! It's a bit pricey, but if
            you're going to be in the wet, it's invaluable.

            ciyd