thompson's water seal

  • Scott..
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
      Hiya
      Has anyone used it on nylon products or on maps. Did it work? How long
      did it last? Was it waterproof or water resistant? Thanks.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
        Scott.. wrote:

        >Hiya
        > Has anyone used it on nylon products or on maps. Did it work? How long
        >did it last? Was it waterproof or water resistant? Thanks.

        Hi Scott,

        I tried printing a map with a color jet on standard paper and then using
        WaterSeal. It made the water bead up, but the paper did get wet after
        letting the water sit on it for a while. I decided it was not good
        enough for kayak maps held by a bungee cord in front of the cockpit.
        It was better than nothing for hiking, and nearly free. Scotch guard
        might work too.

        Rick
      • efield
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
          Nikwax makes a product called Map Proof that works good on paper maps.

          http://www.nikwax-usa.com/

          It's under equipment care at the bottom of the page.

          Ed

          > Hiya
          > Has anyone used it on nylon products or on maps. Did it work? How long
          > did it last? Was it waterproof or water resistant? Thanks.
        • Ken Harmon
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
            > Hi Scott,
            >
            > I tried printing a map with a color jet on standard paper and then
            using
            > WaterSeal. It made the water bead up, but the paper did get wet
            after
            > letting the water sit on it for a while. I decided it was not good
            > enough for kayak maps held by a bungee cord in front of the
            cockpit.
            > It was better than nothing for hiking, and nearly free. Scotch
            guard
            > might work too.
            >
            > Rick

            Rick,

            I used a color jet printer to make maps for kayaking. I then
            laminated them using a cold laminator. Water still seeped in the
            edges - I used 8 x 11 paper and that's the size of the cold
            lamination. Perhaps if I trimmed them more, the seal might be
            maintained.

            Now I laminate the maps and use a Sealline map case. It leaves the
            map visible on both sides and doesn't allow any water to enter. It
            would definitely keep a map dry while hiking.

            Ken
          • ciyd01
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
              I've used the adventure paper that National Geographics makes with a
              color ink jet printer. Let the map dry thoroughly, takes a few
              minutes, and then the whole thing is waterproof. You can print on
              both sides of the paper. I love it! It's a bit pricey, but if
              you're going to be in the wet, it's invaluable.

              ciyd