[Hammock Camping] Re: January 2004 Issue of Hammock Camping News

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
      Skylander, can you tell what type of rope your Clark Hammock uses? I
      see that it is a polypropylene rope; but is it three-twisted strands,
      a solid braid, a hollow braid, or something else? I was guessing
      hollow braid would be a little more 'tree friendly' since it flattens
      out somewhat when it is wrapped around a tree.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
      > Regarding restriction of Hammock use to those who use a specific
      material for
      > attaching to trees cold be a problem. There are hammock
      manufacturers that
      > use rope as the tie to the trees. I have a Clark Jungle Hammock
      which has
      > rope. I have tied it to trees and there is no apparent mark left on
      the trees that
      > I have used. Perhaps Ed can address this issue in a future
      publication of
      > The Hammock Camping News and allow Clark Jungle Hammock people to
      comment or at
      > least invite their comments.
      >
      > Skylander
    • ciyd01
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
        This is a topic that needs to be addressed by the hammocking
        community or we run the risk of having hammocks banned in more
        areas. I'm planning on doing the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier
        this summer and hammocks are not allowed in MRNP, so I will be forced
        to sleep on the ground. I don't want the other parks and National
        Forests to decide that my hammock is damaging and put a ban on them.
        If we can prove that a certain size of rope is ok for certain species
        of trees, etc etc, then we can approach the powers that be and
        advocate for use of hammocks and work with manufacturers to make sure
        that their hammocks won't damage trees. This is a good community of
        hammockers to take this up!

        ciyd