Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: January 2004 Issue of Hammock Camping News

  • Bror8588@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
      Regarding restriction of Hammock use to those who use a specific material for attaching to trees cold be a problem.  There are hammock manufacturers that use rope as the tie to the trees.  I have a Clark Jungle Hammock which has rope. I have tied it to trees and there is no apparent mark left on the trees that I have used.  Perhaps Ed can address this issue in a future publication of The Hammock Camping News and allow Clark Jungle Hammock people to comment or at least invite their comments.

      Skylander
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
        Skylander, can you tell what type of rope your Clark Hammock uses? I
        see that it is a polypropylene rope; but is it three-twisted strands,
        a solid braid, a hollow braid, or something else? I was guessing
        hollow braid would be a little more 'tree friendly' since it flattens
        out somewhat when it is wrapped around a tree.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
        > Regarding restriction of Hammock use to those who use a specific
        material for
        > attaching to trees cold be a problem. There are hammock
        manufacturers that
        > use rope as the tie to the trees. I have a Clark Jungle Hammock
        which has
        > rope. I have tied it to trees and there is no apparent mark left on
        the trees that
        > I have used. Perhaps Ed can address this issue in a future
        publication of
        > The Hammock Camping News and allow Clark Jungle Hammock people to
        comment or at
        > least invite their comments.
        >
        > Skylander
      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
          This is a topic that needs to be addressed by the hammocking
          community or we run the risk of having hammocks banned in more
          areas. I'm planning on doing the Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier
          this summer and hammocks are not allowed in MRNP, so I will be forced
          to sleep on the ground. I don't want the other parks and National
          Forests to decide that my hammock is damaging and put a ban on them.
          If we can prove that a certain size of rope is ok for certain species
          of trees, etc etc, then we can approach the powers that be and
          advocate for use of hammocks and work with manufacturers to make sure
          that their hammocks won't damage trees. This is a good community of
          hammockers to take this up!

          ciyd