down pad hammock

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2004
      I had a number of hours to think through the great conversations I had
      with Ed Speer at Springer this week. He and I thoroughly discussed
      sewing lines in hammocks, among many other topics.

      I believe we disagree for now on the possibility of sewing lines in
      the hammock body. Ed has had failures of several sewing lines made
      for different purposes. It seems the thread does not stretch at the
      same rate that the hammock body of nylon stretches. There is also the
      matter of the holes made in the fabric which may weaken the hammock.

      We agree it may be possible that the majority of the failures he has
      found in his research can be attributed to the difference in stretch
      between different materials. A strip of velcro sewn to the edge of
      the hammock almost certainly stretches at a different rate than the
      hammock nylon it is sewn to. This may lead to the threads pulling out
      of the weaker hammock material and starting a tear. Also, a straight
      stitch with polyester thread will not stretch as easily as the nylon
      fabric.

      I propose to sew a prototype single layer hammock with an integral
      down pad and wind bumpers. The stitching will be made with a zigzag
      stitch to relieve the component of linear stretch differential. The
      bottom shell of the down pad will be made of 1.1 oz ripstop which
      should have very little problem stretching with the 1.7 oz hammock
      body. It will still have sewing holes, but the needle should be
      dividing the threads instead of cutting them. It will take a while to
      see how this hammock holds up. I ordered the materials today to make
      the test. I believe it has the potential to decrease pack weight by
      about 8 ounces, by eliminating the double bottom and the entire pad
      system.

      If this does not prove to be possible, then a double bottom hammock
      can be used, though the improvement in weight would not be so great.

      Sometimes a modicum of risk needs to be undertaken to search for
      improvement. I will let all know how the test works over the next 6
      months or so.

      Rick
    • ciyd01
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
        > We agree it may be possible that the majority of the failures he has
        > found in his research can be attributed to the difference in stretch
        > between different materials. A strip of velcro sewn to the edge of
        > the hammock almost certainly stretches at a different rate than the
        > hammock nylon it is sewn to. This may lead to the threads pulling
        out
        > of the weaker hammock material and starting a tear. Also, a
        straight
        > stitch with polyester thread will not stretch as easily as the nylon
        > fabric.

        I would propose that you break the strip of velcro up into several
        sections and sew each of these pieces to the hammock body. This
        should allow the nylon to stretch without long lengths of chain
        stitching and may help prevent the material failure.

        I look forward to your test results.

        ciyd
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
          Hi ciyd,

          I will continue to do what I can not to use velcro. I had my fill of
          it. Ed told me I will end up coming round again. He may be right.
          However, not yet.

          Rick

          >I would propose that you break the strip of velcro up into several
          >sections and sew each of these pieces to the hammock body. This
          >should allow the nylon to stretch without long lengths of chain
          >stitching and may help prevent the material failure.
          >
          >I look forward to your test results.
          >
          >ciyd

        • ciyd01
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
            If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro, I
            will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too. That
            stuff is such a pain in the neck. I have started using a zipper foot
            on the sewing machine and that seems to *help* but is not a cure-all.

            Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-) btw, has anybody
            tried adhesives instead of sewing?

            ciyd

          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
              btw, has anybody
              > tried adhesives instead of sewing?
              >
              > ciyd

              Yes.

              Don't waste your time and fabric.

              Rick
            • Shane
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
                > If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro, I
                > will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too.

                Staple it before sewing.

                > Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-)

                NEVER use superglue on fabric. Never use superglue on ANYTHING that isn't
                inflexible to start with.

                > btw, has anybody tried adhesives instead of sewing?

                Various kinds of rubber cement can work to hold things in place for
                stitching if you apply some to each surface to be attached then wait until
                it sets some before sticking them together. I don't think it would be
                enough on its own. Barge cement works OK. The stuff that was really good
                has all been banned...

                Shane
              • ciyd01
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2004
                  > > If I ever get any useful tips for sewing the hook side of velcro,
                  > > will pass them along, and I would hope that others would , too.
                  >
                  > Staple it before sewing.

                  My biggest problem is broken needles and bird nesting so the stapling
                  won't help.

                  > > Maybe I'll just super-glue the stuff next time :-)
                  >
                  > NEVER use superglue on fabric. Never use superglue on ANYTHING
                  that isn't
                  > inflexible to start with.

                  Thanks. You just saved me some time with experimenting with
                  adhesives. :-)

                  > > btw, has anybody tried adhesives instead of sewing?
                  >
                  > Various kinds of rubber cement can work to hold things in place for
                  > stitching if you apply some to each surface to be attached then
                  wait until
                  > it sets some before sticking them together.

                  I prefer fusing tape or sheets. It doesn't work for silnylon, but
                  then very little does stick to silnylon. The fusing tape has the
                  advantage that it disolves when the item is washed. It's not
                  permanent either.

                  ciyd
                • Debra Weisenstein
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
                    I just sew the stuff like normal after pinning and usually have no
                    trouble with it. Have you tried different needle sizes?

                    DebW