Does anyone have a decent pic of snakeskins in use w/ HH??

  • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
      If you do, could you please post.
      I've yet to find a decent pic. Reviews are either they are the
      greatest thing since sliced bread or just a pain.

      I'd like to see how they work before I purchase them.

      A picture is worth a thousand words....

      Thanks..Tim
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
        Tim:

        I've got three photos that show them in use, but they're
        144K each. I'd rather send them to you than post them. Is
        that okay?

        Bear
      • J Cornelius
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003

          Bear – would you send them to me also??  I’m considering the snake skins too.  Thanks!

          Jodi

          dojers@...

          Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

        • irene_r_1999 <irene_r_1999@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
            Sgt. Rocks's site (www.hikinghq.net) has a number of pictures of
            snakeskins being used. The photos are in a series so you can see the
            whole procedure for setup and take down.

            Jim
          • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003
              <dchinell@m...> wrote:
              > Tim:
              >
              > I've got three photos that show them in use, but they're
              > 144K each. I'd rather send them to you than post them. Is
              > that okay?
              >
              > Bear

              That would be fine Bear, Thanks!

              Tim
            • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2003

              • Ernest Engman <ebengman@hikinghq.net>
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                  I love the snake skins and have retrofit all my Hennesse Hammocks to
                  use the Snakeskins. Here is a pic of snakeskins on my Ultralight A-
                  Sym: http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html

                  SGT Rock

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7 <tcoug7@a...>"
                  <tcoug7@a...> wrote:
                  > If you do, could you please post.
                  > I've yet to find a decent pic. Reviews are either they are the
                  > greatest thing since sliced bread or just a pain.
                  >
                  > I'd like to see how they work before I purchase them.
                  >

                  > A picture is worth a thousand words....
                  >
                  > Thanks..Tim
                • Shane Steinkamp
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                    > I love the snake skins and have retrofit all my Hennessey
                    > Hammocks to use the Snakeskins. Here is a pic of
                    > snakeskins on my Ultralight A-Sym:
                    http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html

                    > SGT Rock

                    Great page Sarge. I just took a bunch of pictures this last weekend showing
                    my preferred use of them. They really are great!

                    BTW, in item #4, you have "Pull the sleeves back to revel the hammock, if
                    you packed it right, only the fly will be exposed - keeping the hammock part
                    dry." While I revel in my hammock, I think in this context you mean
                    'reveal'.

                    Shane
                  • Marge Prothman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                      Hey Thanks Sgt.Rock
                      I liked your pictures, they were great, I also learned something. I often
                      wondered which end my feet are going to be when I put up the hammock, it
                      never occurred to me just to mark it on my snakeskins or someplace.

                      For me the Snakeskins are really easy to put on, and I just never take them
                      off, I think the people who have found them to be a pain, were people who
                      did not get the correct size to start with, then yes, if they are not big
                      enough to slide over the hammock, they could be a pain.

                      Cheers,

                      Marge [The Old Gal]
                      http://www.prothman.org/marge
                    • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                        Ernest,

                        Good afternoon.

                        I followed the link to find out what the snake skins were all about.
                        I had previously been to several parts of your pages, but not all the
                        way into the hammock pages. Great work. I appreciate the time you
                        spent to take pictures and share your experience.

                        I also took the rabbit trail to see what you said about setting up in
                        the rain without snake skins.

                        As I saw you sitting there and imagined you on a bit of a wet day, I
                        went out and cut a little scrap of rescued Tyveck about 12 x 20
                        inches and crumpled it 5 or six times. Purpose: to sit on in the
                        snow or on wet ground or on a tree trunk. I had learned this little
                        trick years ago from the AF survival techs, but had nearly forgotten
                        it. When I brought the little rectangle into work today to weigh it,
                        it came to 20 grams. I stuffed it into an outside mesh pocket on my
                        rucksack. I think it will come in hand for all the above, and also
                        for putting on the ground so I can stand up and retrieve my shoes
                        without getting socks wet in the morning...

                        Rick
                      • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Engman
                          <ebengman@h...>" <ebengman@h...> wrote:
                          > I love the snake skins and have retrofit all my Hennesse Hammocks
                          > use the Snakeskins. Here is a pic of snakeskins on my Ultralight A-
                          > Sym: http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock3.html
                          >
                          > SGT Rock

                          thanks Sarge, that answered a lot of questions.
                        • Ernest Engman
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
                            Thanks. I try.

                            Ernest Engman

[...]