Re: January 2004 Issue of Hammock Camping News

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
      > The January 2004 Issue of Hammock Camping News has just been
      > released. Articles include "Hammock Camping in Trail Shelters" and
      > trip reports for the Benton MacKaye Trail, TN & GA and New Year's Eve
      > on Springer Mtn, GA. See this and all past issues FREE at:
      > http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm
      >
      > Happy Hammocking...Ed

      Thanks Ed! That is a thought provoking article on shelter use. After
      thinking on it over the drive time home, I have come to strongly agree
      we need to stay out of shelters unless welcomed specifically - and I
      doubt many shelters will be so posted.

      In the same way, I believe we need to begin to speak strongly against
      the use of rope without a tree hugger web as a hammock hanger. Your
      experience has been that trees are definately hurt by rope. It would
      be better if we had real research to back up such a stand, but until
      research can be completed, treating trees gently should be our aim.

      As always, I would like to keep the regulators out of the picture and
      do it ourselves with package inserts in new hammocks and education
      where possible. We should also be honest about what we really know
      and what we are guessing about to be conservative.