January 2004 Issue of Hammock Camping News

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
      The January 2004 Issue of Hammock Camping News has just been
      released. Articles include "Hammock Camping in Trail Shelters" and
      trip reports for the Benton MacKaye Trail, TN & GA and New Year's Eve
      on Springer Mtn, GA. See this and all past issues FREE at:
      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

      Happy Hammocking...Ed
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
        > The January 2004 Issue of Hammock Camping News has just been
        > released. Articles include "Hammock Camping in Trail Shelters" and
        > trip reports for the Benton MacKaye Trail, TN & GA and New Year's Eve
        > on Springer Mtn, GA. See this and all past issues FREE at:
        > http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm
        >
        > Happy Hammocking...Ed

        Thanks Ed! That is a thought provoking article on shelter use. After
        thinking on it over the drive time home, I have come to strongly agree
        we need to stay out of shelters unless welcomed specifically - and I
        doubt many shelters will be so posted.

        In the same way, I believe we need to begin to speak strongly against
        the use of rope without a tree hugger web as a hammock hanger. Your
        experience has been that trees are definately hurt by rope. It would
        be better if we had real research to back up such a stand, but until
        research can be completed, treating trees gently should be our aim.

        As always, I would like to keep the regulators out of the picture and
        do it ourselves with package inserts in new hammocks and education
        where possible. We should also be honest about what we really know
        and what we are guessing about to be conservative.