RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Ed's Winter Hammock Hike

    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
      Coy, we'll also run a few Hammock Hangers trips throughout the year, so you
      should have a chance to make one of them. Schedule not set yet--we'll
      surely return to the Chattooga River again...Ed
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
        I was waiting for that Rick! Guess I deserve it thou. Maybe tomorrow--I'm
        too tired to finish it tonight...Ed

        Oh, and Ed, about that newsletter...

        It is now January 2nd (inside joke)

        from Risk, Rick, and the rest of us.
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
          > Great photos Dave. Looks like you had a ball. Sorry to miss you
          on the
          > 31st.
          >
          > Rick

          Rick,

          Sorry I missed you. We finished a day early, I was only a couple of
          hours from home and I had been out in the woods for a while... so I
          bolted for home instead of killing time for a day in north GA. In my
          defense, I spent a lot of time in north GA this year. I was at the
          outfitters at Neels Gap for a couple of hours the weekend before
          Thanksgiving with a group of hikers that were involved with a seminar
          that REI put on. Wished you could have joined us for the last leg of
          the hike, we could have adjusted or mileage to meet you near the last
          paved road crossing and hike the last day & a half with you. Maybe I
          will catch up with you on another trip.

          Ed & I both learned a lot from the trip. Some things worked well,
          others didn't quite work as well as we hoped. But we were able to
          handle what we ran in to.

          The winter tarp worked pretty well except for my waterproofing job
          and I also need to add a few more stakes to keep in more taut. I may
          want to add some shock cord with limits to maintain the tautness when
          the silnylon stretches. I believe it only trapped a couple of
          degrees of heat, but more importantly, it keep me from losing heat
          from the occasional swirls & breezes that are unavoidable unless you
          are completely concealed from the wind. I think that this helped a
          good bit when the temperature dropped to the lower limit of my
          insulation... it kinda makes 20 degree weather feel like 20 degree
          weather even in slight winds that might make 20 degree weather feel
          more like 10 degree weather or worse. Of course, the winter tarp is
          more complex and has a weight penalty so it is difficult to say that
          the same comfort couldn't be had using other insulation techniques
          that were simplier and maybe even more weight efficient. At the
          least, it is another approach that some folks might prefer and some
          might not (it is sorta a hammock tent made out of a flat tarp),
          however, it does give you some 'room' where you are out of the wind.

          The closed cell foam kinda worked. I basically had a stack of three
          of the standard blue 3/8" closed cell foam pads from REI (they
          weren't all the same length but they were all 24" wide). These kept
          me warm enough, but after 14 hours on them on a long winter night, I
          found that I need more cushioning for my tush (I felt almost
          bruised). I also found that stuffing clothing to get insulation on
          the edges around my shoulders was just too much trouble and that
          using a section of a Zrest didn't work well because any air gap
          allowed cool air to get to me. One night I substituted a 3/4 length
          Ridgerest for one of my longer 3/8" pads and this felt a whole lot
          better on my tush, so from no on I will use that when I am stacking
          multiple pads and will place it on top of the stack. I am also
          replacing my 24"x44" cut & taped pad with my 30"x44" cut & taped pad
          so that I won't need extra insulation around my shoulders. The cut &
          tapped pads fold accordian style into a 24"x11" stack or 30x11" stack
          and are used as the back support/cushion for my Golite Breeze
          backpack. The wider 30" pad means that the pads will have to extend
          5" into my extension collar when it is in my backpack. Anyway, what
          I used were three stacked pads: one 3/8"x24"x44" and two 3/8"x24"x56"
          with a seperate 3/8"x20"x11" in my backpack under my feet. What I
          would take if I had a 'do-over' would be a stack of three pads: one
          3/8"x30"x44", one 3/8"x24"x67" (I taped the foot pad onto the 56"
          long pad) and one 5/8"x20"x48" Ridgerest pad on top.

          I must say that I took a lot longer to make/break camp than Ed did
          with his 'mountain of down' and I was more worried about me staying
          warm than I was about Ed staying warm... I think Ed has this figured
          out better than I do.

          Oh yeah, there were a couple of things that I have used before that
          also worked well on this trip. I have accessory cords tied into the
          knots of my two-layer hammock so that I can attach my pads to the
          same postion every time. They worked fine, just as the have in the
          past. Also, the shock cord harness system that I have for attaching
          two closed cell foam pads on the back of my Golite Breeze backpack
          performed fine and didn't have any breakdowns.

          So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
          Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
          Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
          Fontana Dam?

          Dave
          aka Youngblood
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004

            > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
            > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
            > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
            > Fontana Dam?
            >
            > Dave
            > aka Youngblood

            Dave

            well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
            time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
            penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got sick
            on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont mind
            hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
            is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
            anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
            trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
            when I get a few free days.

            Coy Boy
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
              Coy,

              Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
              crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
              the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT at
              Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.

              Dave

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
              <dpwomble@y...>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
              > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
              > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
              > > Fontana Dam?
              > >
              > > Dave
              > > aka Youngblood
              >
              > Dave
              >
              > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
              > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
              > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
              sick
              > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
              mind
              > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
              > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
              > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
              > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
              > when I get a few free days.
              >
              > Coy Boy
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                Three Forks sounds good but whichever works better fo parking. In
                fact any section will do. and loop hiking or in and back is ok. ie
                parking both vehicles at the same place, or the shuttle where we
                meet at the ending, leave one vehicle and drive to start in the
                other. I'll holler as sonn as I see an opening. Will see if Paul is
                available too.

                Coy Boy

                > Coy,
                >
                > Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
                > crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
                > the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT
                at
                > Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.
                >
                > Dave

                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                > <dpwomble@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > >

                > > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast?
                The
                > > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The
                Foothills
                > > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south
                of
                > > > Fontana Dam?
                > > >
                > > > Dave
                > > > aka Youngblood
                > >
                > > Dave
                > >
                > > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more
                free
                > > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters.
                The
                > > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
                > sick
                > > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
                > mind
                > > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                > > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                > > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the
                same
                > > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will
                holler
                > > when I get a few free days.
                > >
                > > Coy Boy
              • biker135803
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                  Coy and Dave,
                  Count me in on ANY winter hike. I jus got rid of a flock of
                  Christmas guests and only hunting season stands in the way. Hunting
                  days can be shuffled to accommodate hiking. Gotta use my DAM again.
                  Paul
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                    OK--I'm jealous guys. I know I just got home from a winter hike with Dave,
                    but I guess you never get enough. And this warm weather is definitely not
                    helping--feels like spring around here! I can't seem to get back into the
                    dedication of office work--oh well, I know you guys will have a good
                    hike--Dave is awesom with the maps! I am back off to Neels Gap tonight and
                    Springer Mtn tomorrow am--droping Linguini off on his hike to Key West.
                    Then it's back to the sweat shop know as hammock manufacturing. LOL! ...Ed

                    Hammock Camping (the book) ISBN 0-9718594-4-2
                    The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
                    also FREE Reports! FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!
                    http://www.hammockcamping.com

                    Speer Hammocks, Inc
                    Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                    34 Clear Creek Road
                    Marion, NC 28752-6407
                    828.724.4444
                    http://www.speerhammocks.com
                    info@...

                    Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                    free online newsletter
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News
                    http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

                    Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                    a free open discussion group Learn from the experts
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

                  • Mark Hooper
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                      Hey Ed,
                      I got your book yesterday and couldn't put it down without finishing. I look forward to meeting you sometime on one of the campouts (if HH's are alllowed).

                      Mark Hooper
                      Charleston SC