[Hammock Camping] Re: Ed's Winter Hammock Hike

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
      It really was fun spending New Year's atop Springer. On returning, I
      can not believe I have no pictures of the hammocks! Many thanks to Ed
      and Karen for their introductions all around to many of their friends
      and also for the ride back to my car at Amacoloa Falls.

      Link to my photo journal from the overnight hike is:

      http://www.imrisk.com/springernewyear/springer.htm

      I also changed the banner photo on my homepage to one of the Springer
      photos. See:

      http://www.imrisk.com

      Oh, and Ed, about that newsletter...

      It is now January 2nd (inside joke)

      from Risk, Rick, and the rest of us.
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
        Dave Womble wrote:

        >Ed & All,
        >
        >I finally got around to putting some info together with my trip
        >photos. They can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/29n86 .
        >
        >Youngblood

        Great photos Dave. Looks like you had a ball. Sorry to miss you on the
        31st.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
          Coy, we'll also run a few Hammock Hangers trips throughout the year, so you
          should have a chance to make one of them. Schedule not set yet--we'll
          surely return to the Chattooga River again...Ed
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
            I was waiting for that Rick! Guess I deserve it thou. Maybe tomorrow--I'm
            too tired to finish it tonight...Ed

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
              > Great photos Dave. Looks like you had a ball. Sorry to miss you
              on the
              > 31st.
              >
              > Rick

              Rick,

              Sorry I missed you. We finished a day early, I was only a couple of
              hours from home and I had been out in the woods for a while... so I
              bolted for home instead of killing time for a day in north GA. In my
              defense, I spent a lot of time in north GA this year. I was at the
              outfitters at Neels Gap for a couple of hours the weekend before
              Thanksgiving with a group of hikers that were involved with a seminar
              that REI put on. Wished you could have joined us for the last leg of
              the hike, we could have adjusted or mileage to meet you near the last
              paved road crossing and hike the last day & a half with you. Maybe I
              will catch up with you on another trip.

              Ed & I both learned a lot from the trip. Some things worked well,
              others didn't quite work as well as we hoped. But we were able to
              handle what we ran in to.

              The winter tarp worked pretty well except for my waterproofing job
              and I also need to add a few more stakes to keep in more taut. I may
              want to add some shock cord with limits to maintain the tautness when
              the silnylon stretches. I believe it only trapped a couple of
              degrees of heat, but more importantly, it keep me from losing heat
              from the occasional swirls & breezes that are unavoidable unless you
              are completely concealed from the wind. I think that this helped a
              good bit when the temperature dropped to the lower limit of my
              insulation... it kinda makes 20 degree weather feel like 20 degree
              weather even in slight winds that might make 20 degree weather feel
              more like 10 degree weather or worse. Of course, the winter tarp is
              more complex and has a weight penalty so it is difficult to say that
              the same comfort couldn't be had using other insulation techniques
              that were simplier and maybe even more weight efficient. At the
              least, it is another approach that some folks might prefer and some
              might not (it is sorta a hammock tent made out of a flat tarp),
              however, it does give you some 'room' where you are out of the wind.

              The closed cell foam kinda worked. I basically had a stack of three
              of the standard blue 3/8" closed cell foam pads from REI (they
              weren't all the same length but they were all 24" wide). These kept
              me warm enough, but after 14 hours on them on a long winter night, I
              found that I need more cushioning for my tush (I felt almost
              bruised). I also found that stuffing clothing to get insulation on
              the edges around my shoulders was just too much trouble and that
              using a section of a Zrest didn't work well because any air gap
              allowed cool air to get to me. One night I substituted a 3/4 length
              Ridgerest for one of my longer 3/8" pads and this felt a whole lot
              better on my tush, so from no on I will use that when I am stacking
              multiple pads and will place it on top of the stack. I am also
              replacing my 24"x44" cut & taped pad with my 30"x44" cut & taped pad
              so that I won't need extra insulation around my shoulders. The cut &
              tapped pads fold accordian style into a 24"x11" stack or 30x11" stack
              and are used as the back support/cushion for my Golite Breeze
              backpack. The wider 30" pad means that the pads will have to extend
              5" into my extension collar when it is in my backpack. Anyway, what
              I used were three stacked pads: one 3/8"x24"x44" and two 3/8"x24"x56"
              with a seperate 3/8"x20"x11" in my backpack under my feet. What I
              would take if I had a 'do-over' would be a stack of three pads: one
              3/8"x30"x44", one 3/8"x24"x67" (I taped the foot pad onto the 56"
              long pad) and one 5/8"x20"x48" Ridgerest pad on top.

              I must say that I took a lot longer to make/break camp than Ed did
              with his 'mountain of down' and I was more worried about me staying
              warm than I was about Ed staying warm... I think Ed has this figured
              out better than I do.

              Oh yeah, there were a couple of things that I have used before that
              also worked well on this trip. I have accessory cords tied into the
              knots of my two-layer hammock so that I can attach my pads to the
              same postion every time. They worked fine, just as the have in the
              past. Also, the shock cord harness system that I have for attaching
              two closed cell foam pads on the back of my Golite Breeze backpack
              performed fine and didn't have any breakdowns.

              So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
              Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
              Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
              Fontana Dam?

              Dave
              aka Youngblood
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004

                > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                > Fontana Dam?
                >
                > Dave
                > aka Youngblood

                Dave

                well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
                time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
                penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got sick
                on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont mind
                hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
                trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
                when I get a few free days.

                Coy Boy
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                  Coy,

                  Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
                  crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
                  the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT at
                  Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.

                  Dave

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                  <dpwomble@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                  > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                  > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                  > > Fontana Dam?
                  > >
                  > > Dave
                  > > aka Youngblood
                  >
                  > Dave
                  >
                  > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
                  > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
                  > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
                  sick
                  > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
                  mind
                  > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                  > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                  > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
                  > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
                  > when I get a few free days.
                  >
                  > Coy Boy
                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                    Three Forks sounds good but whichever works better fo parking. In
                    fact any section will do. and loop hiking or in and back is ok. ie
                    parking both vehicles at the same place, or the shuttle where we
                    meet at the ending, leave one vehicle and drive to start in the
                    other. I'll holler as sonn as I see an opening. Will see if Paul is
                    available too.

                    Coy Boy

                    > Coy,
                    >
                    > Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
                    > crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
                    > the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT
                    at
                    > Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.
                    >
                    > Dave

                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                    > <dpwomble@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast?
                    The
                    > > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The
                    Foothills
                    > > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south
                    of
                    > > > Fontana Dam?
                    > > >
                    > > > Dave
                    > > > aka Youngblood
                    > >
                    > > Dave
                    > >
                    > > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more
                    free
                    > > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters.
                    The
                    > > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
                    > sick
                    > > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
                    > mind
                    > > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                    > > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                    > > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the
                    same
                    > > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will
                    holler
                    > > when I get a few free days.
                    > >
                    > > Coy Boy
                  • biker135803
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                      Coy and Dave,
                      Count me in on ANY winter hike. I jus got rid of a flock of
                      Christmas guests and only hunting season stands in the way. Hunting
                      days can be shuffled to accommodate hiking. Gotta use my DAM again.
                      Paul
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                        OK--I'm jealous guys. I know I just got home from a winter hike with Dave,
                        but I guess you never get enough. And this warm weather is definitely not
                        helping--feels like spring around here! I can't seem to get back into the
                        dedication of office work--oh well, I know you guys will have a good
                        hike--Dave is awesom with the maps! I am back off to Neels Gap tonight and
                        Springer Mtn tomorrow am--droping Linguini off on his hike to Key West.
                        Then it's back to the sweat shop know as hammock manufacturing. LOL! ...Ed

                        Hammock Camping (the book) ISBN 0-9718594-4-2
                        The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
                        also FREE Reports! FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!
                        http://www.hammockcamping.com

                        Speer Hammocks, Inc
                        Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                        34 Clear Creek Road
                        Marion, NC 28752-6407
                        828.724.4444
                        http://www.speerhammocks.com
                        info@...

                        Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                        free online newsletter
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News
                        http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

                        Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                        a free open discussion group Learn from the experts
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

                      • Mark Hooper
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                          Hey Ed,
                          I got your book yesterday and couldn't put it down without finishing. I look forward to meeting you sometime on one of the campouts (if HH's are alllowed).

                          Mark Hooper
                          Charleston SC