[Hammock Camping] Re: Ed's Winter Hammock Hike

    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
      Ed & All,

      I finally got around to putting some info together with my trip
      photos. They can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/29n86 .

      Youngblood

      > Happy New Year all!
      >
      > My 85 mi hike on the Benton MacKaye Trail went very well.
      Youngblood and I
      > left the north trailhead in TN on 23 Dec and reached the southern
      trailhead
      > on Springer Mtn, GA 30 Dec. We skipped some of the road walks, but
      the rest
      > of the trail is very enjoyable with high mountain ridges and
      riverside
      > traverses. The weather was almost perfect with cold nights and
      cool days
      > (18-55F). Rain fell only twice--both times at night after we had
      already
      > set up camp. Some cold wind above 3,000' provided a real test. In
      fact, we
      > were able to test our stay-warm hammock gear in varying conditions
      and
      > elevations. A more detailed trip report will be in the January
      Hammock
      > Camping newsletter (due soon!).
      >
      > Youngblood certainly won the smallest backpack prize and put me to
      shame,
      > but we were both carrying extra gear for the actual field testing.
      Dave's
      > "Winter Tarp" was also a clear winner in the cold wind. However,
      we both
      > stayed warm--Dave with his multiple closed-cell foam pads and me
      with my
      > down PeaPods and Top Blankets.
      >
      > The highlight of the trip was certainly the hiker gathering atop
      Springer
      > Mtn on New Year's Eve! We had about 25 hikers, including about 5
      > southbounders who were finishing their AT thru hike! Everyone
      enjoyed the
      > unseasonably warm temps and clear sky. Good food and drink were
      enjoyed by
      > all. The sunset on NYE and sunrise on NYD were absolutly awesome--
      a fitting
      > way to end one year and start another one! Karen and I hammocked
      without
      > tarps and watched the moon and stars for hours and then watched
      with awe as
      > the sun slowly rose above the mountain ridge to the east! Risk
      drove from
      > Ohio and also set up his hammock near the summit--thanks for
      showing me all
      > of your home-made gear Risk; very well done.
      >
      > For those who missed this gathering--you'll not have another chance
      until
      > next year. Plan now to attend!
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
        It really was fun spending New Year's atop Springer. On returning, I
        can not believe I have no pictures of the hammocks! Many thanks to Ed
        and Karen for their introductions all around to many of their friends
        and also for the ride back to my car at Amacoloa Falls.

        Link to my photo journal from the overnight hike is:

        http://www.imrisk.com/springernewyear/springer.htm

        I also changed the banner photo on my homepage to one of the Springer
        photos. See:

        http://www.imrisk.com

        Oh, and Ed, about that newsletter...

        It is now January 2nd (inside joke)

        from Risk, Rick, and the rest of us.
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
          Dave Womble wrote:

          >Ed & All,
          >
          >I finally got around to putting some info together with my trip
          >photos. They can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/29n86 .
          >
          >Youngblood

          Great photos Dave. Looks like you had a ball. Sorry to miss you on the
          31st.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
            Coy, we'll also run a few Hammock Hangers trips throughout the year, so you
            should have a chance to make one of them. Schedule not set yet--we'll
            surely return to the Chattooga River again...Ed
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
              I was waiting for that Rick! Guess I deserve it thou. Maybe tomorrow--I'm
              too tired to finish it tonight...Ed

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
                > Great photos Dave. Looks like you had a ball. Sorry to miss you
                on the
                > 31st.
                >
                > Rick

                Rick,

                Sorry I missed you. We finished a day early, I was only a couple of
                hours from home and I had been out in the woods for a while... so I
                bolted for home instead of killing time for a day in north GA. In my
                defense, I spent a lot of time in north GA this year. I was at the
                outfitters at Neels Gap for a couple of hours the weekend before
                Thanksgiving with a group of hikers that were involved with a seminar
                that REI put on. Wished you could have joined us for the last leg of
                the hike, we could have adjusted or mileage to meet you near the last
                paved road crossing and hike the last day & a half with you. Maybe I
                will catch up with you on another trip.

                Ed & I both learned a lot from the trip. Some things worked well,
                others didn't quite work as well as we hoped. But we were able to
                handle what we ran in to.

                The winter tarp worked pretty well except for my waterproofing job
                and I also need to add a few more stakes to keep in more taut. I may
                want to add some shock cord with limits to maintain the tautness when
                the silnylon stretches. I believe it only trapped a couple of
                degrees of heat, but more importantly, it keep me from losing heat
                from the occasional swirls & breezes that are unavoidable unless you
                are completely concealed from the wind. I think that this helped a
                good bit when the temperature dropped to the lower limit of my
                insulation... it kinda makes 20 degree weather feel like 20 degree
                weather even in slight winds that might make 20 degree weather feel
                more like 10 degree weather or worse. Of course, the winter tarp is
                more complex and has a weight penalty so it is difficult to say that
                the same comfort couldn't be had using other insulation techniques
                that were simplier and maybe even more weight efficient. At the
                least, it is another approach that some folks might prefer and some
                might not (it is sorta a hammock tent made out of a flat tarp),
                however, it does give you some 'room' where you are out of the wind.

                The closed cell foam kinda worked. I basically had a stack of three
                of the standard blue 3/8" closed cell foam pads from REI (they
                weren't all the same length but they were all 24" wide). These kept
                me warm enough, but after 14 hours on them on a long winter night, I
                found that I need more cushioning for my tush (I felt almost
                bruised). I also found that stuffing clothing to get insulation on
                the edges around my shoulders was just too much trouble and that
                using a section of a Zrest didn't work well because any air gap
                allowed cool air to get to me. One night I substituted a 3/4 length
                Ridgerest for one of my longer 3/8" pads and this felt a whole lot
                better on my tush, so from no on I will use that when I am stacking
                multiple pads and will place it on top of the stack. I am also
                replacing my 24"x44" cut & taped pad with my 30"x44" cut & taped pad
                so that I won't need extra insulation around my shoulders. The cut &
                tapped pads fold accordian style into a 24"x11" stack or 30x11" stack
                and are used as the back support/cushion for my Golite Breeze
                backpack. The wider 30" pad means that the pads will have to extend
                5" into my extension collar when it is in my backpack. Anyway, what
                I used were three stacked pads: one 3/8"x24"x44" and two 3/8"x24"x56"
                with a seperate 3/8"x20"x11" in my backpack under my feet. What I
                would take if I had a 'do-over' would be a stack of three pads: one
                3/8"x30"x44", one 3/8"x24"x67" (I taped the foot pad onto the 56"
                long pad) and one 5/8"x20"x48" Ridgerest pad on top.

                I must say that I took a lot longer to make/break camp than Ed did
                with his 'mountain of down' and I was more worried about me staying
                warm than I was about Ed staying warm... I think Ed has this figured
                out better than I do.

                Oh yeah, there were a couple of things that I have used before that
                also worked well on this trip. I have accessory cords tied into the
                knots of my two-layer hammock so that I can attach my pads to the
                same postion every time. They worked fine, just as the have in the
                past. Also, the shock cord harness system that I have for attaching
                two closed cell foam pads on the back of my Golite Breeze backpack
                performed fine and didn't have any breakdowns.

                So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                Fontana Dam?

                Dave
                aka Youngblood
              • Coy
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004

                  > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                  > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                  > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                  > Fontana Dam?
                  >
                  > Dave
                  > aka Youngblood

                  Dave

                  well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
                  time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
                  penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got sick
                  on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont mind
                  hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                  is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                  anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
                  trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
                  when I get a few free days.

                  Coy Boy
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                    Coy,

                    Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
                    crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
                    the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT at
                    Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.

                    Dave

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                    <dpwomble@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    >

                    > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                    > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                    > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                    > > Fontana Dam?
                    > >
                    > > Dave
                    > > aka Youngblood
                    >
                    > Dave
                    >
                    > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
                    > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
                    > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
                    sick
                    > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
                    mind
                    > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                    > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                    > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
                    > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
                    > when I get a few free days.
                    >
                    > Coy Boy
                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                      Three Forks sounds good but whichever works better fo parking. In
                      fact any section will do. and loop hiking or in and back is ok. ie
                      parking both vehicles at the same place, or the shuttle where we
                      meet at the ending, leave one vehicle and drive to start in the
                      other. I'll holler as sonn as I see an opening. Will see if Paul is
                      available too.

                      Coy Boy

                      > Coy,
                      >
                      > Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
                      > crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
                      > the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT
                      at
                      > Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.
                      >
                      > Dave

                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                      > <dpwomble@y...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast?
                      The
                      > > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The
                      Foothills
                      > > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south
                      of
                      > > > Fontana Dam?
                      > > >
                      > > > Dave
                      > > > aka Youngblood
                      > >
                      > > Dave
                      > >
                      > > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more
                      free
                      > > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters.
                      The
                      > > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
                      > sick
                      > > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
                      > mind
                      > > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                      > > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                      > > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the
                      same
                      > > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will
                      holler
                      > > when I get a few free days.
                      > >
                      > > Coy Boy
                    • biker135803
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                        Coy and Dave,
                        Count me in on ANY winter hike. I jus got rid of a flock of
                        Christmas guests and only hunting season stands in the way. Hunting
                        days can be shuffled to accommodate hiking. Gotta use my DAM again.
                        Paul
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                          OK--I'm jealous guys. I know I just got home from a winter hike with Dave,
                          but I guess you never get enough. And this warm weather is definitely not
                          helping--feels like spring around here! I can't seem to get back into the
                          dedication of office work--oh well, I know you guys will have a good
                          hike--Dave is awesom with the maps! I am back off to Neels Gap tonight and
                          Springer Mtn tomorrow am--droping Linguini off on his hike to Key West.
                          Then it's back to the sweat shop know as hammock manufacturing. LOL! ...Ed

                          Hammock Camping (the book) ISBN 0-9718594-4-2
                          The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
                          also FREE Reports! FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!
                          http://www.hammockcamping.com

                          Speer Hammocks, Inc
                          Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                          34 Clear Creek Road
                          Marion, NC 28752-6407
                          828.724.4444
                          http://www.speerhammocks.com
                          info@...

                          Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                          free online newsletter
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News
                          http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

                          Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                          a free open discussion group Learn from the experts
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

                        • Mark Hooper
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                            Hey Ed,
                            I got your book yesterday and couldn't put it down without finishing. I look forward to meeting you sometime on one of the campouts (if HH's are alllowed).

                            Mark Hooper
                            Charleston SC