[Hammock Camping] Re: Ed's Winter Hammock Hike

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
      Ed (and Dave)

      sounds like an awsome trip. Will be looking for all the details in
      the news letter. Done looked at my scedual for next year. work new
      years day again. shucks! who said retirment aint all the great.

      Coy Boy

      > Happy New Year all!
      >
      > My 85 mi hike on the Benton MacKaye Trail went very well.
      Youngblood and I
      > left the north trailhead in TN on 23 Dec and reached the southern
      trailhead
      > on Springer Mtn, GA 30 Dec. We skipped some of the road walks,
      but the rest
      > of the trail is very enjoyable with high mountain ridges and
      riverside
      > traverses. The weather was almost perfect with cold nights and
      cool days
      > (18-55F). Rain fell only twice--both times at night after we had
      already
      > set up camp. Some cold wind above 3,000' provided a real test.
      In fact, we
      > were able to test our stay-warm hammock gear in varying conditions
      and
      > elevations. A more detailed trip report will be in the January
      Hammock
      > Camping newsletter (due soon!).
      >
      > Youngblood certainly won the smallest backpack prize and put me to
      shame,
      > but we were both carrying extra gear for the actual field
      testing. Dave's
      > "Winter Tarp" was also a clear winner in the cold wind. However,
      we both
      > stayed warm--Dave with his multiple closed-cell foam pads and me
      with my
      > down PeaPods and Top Blankets.
      >
      > The highlight of the trip was certainly the hiker gathering atop
      Springer

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
        Ed & All,

        I finally got around to putting some info together with my trip
        photos. They can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/29n86 .

        Youngblood

      • Risk
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
          It really was fun spending New Year's atop Springer. On returning, I
          can not believe I have no pictures of the hammocks! Many thanks to Ed
          and Karen for their introductions all around to many of their friends
          and also for the ride back to my car at Amacoloa Falls.

          Link to my photo journal from the overnight hike is:

          http://www.imrisk.com/springernewyear/springer.htm

          I also changed the banner photo on my homepage to one of the Springer
          photos. See:

          http://www.imrisk.com

          Oh, and Ed, about that newsletter...

          It is now January 2nd (inside joke)

          from Risk, Rick, and the rest of us.
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
            Dave Womble wrote:

            >Ed & All,
            >
            >I finally got around to putting some info together with my trip
            >photos. They can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/29n86 .
            >
            >Youngblood

            Great photos Dave. Looks like you had a ball. Sorry to miss you on the
            31st.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
              Coy, we'll also run a few Hammock Hangers trips throughout the year, so you
              should have a chance to make one of them. Schedule not set yet--we'll
              surely return to the Chattooga River again...Ed
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                I was waiting for that Rick! Guess I deserve it thou. Maybe tomorrow--I'm
                too tired to finish it tonight...Ed

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
                  > Great photos Dave. Looks like you had a ball. Sorry to miss you
                  on the
                  > 31st.
                  >
                  > Rick

                  Rick,

                  Sorry I missed you. We finished a day early, I was only a couple of
                  hours from home and I had been out in the woods for a while... so I
                  bolted for home instead of killing time for a day in north GA. In my
                  defense, I spent a lot of time in north GA this year. I was at the
                  outfitters at Neels Gap for a couple of hours the weekend before
                  Thanksgiving with a group of hikers that were involved with a seminar
                  that REI put on. Wished you could have joined us for the last leg of
                  the hike, we could have adjusted or mileage to meet you near the last
                  paved road crossing and hike the last day & a half with you. Maybe I
                  will catch up with you on another trip.

                  Ed & I both learned a lot from the trip. Some things worked well,
                  others didn't quite work as well as we hoped. But we were able to
                  handle what we ran in to.

                  The winter tarp worked pretty well except for my waterproofing job
                  and I also need to add a few more stakes to keep in more taut. I may
                  want to add some shock cord with limits to maintain the tautness when
                  the silnylon stretches. I believe it only trapped a couple of
                  degrees of heat, but more importantly, it keep me from losing heat
                  from the occasional swirls & breezes that are unavoidable unless you
                  are completely concealed from the wind. I think that this helped a
                  good bit when the temperature dropped to the lower limit of my
                  insulation... it kinda makes 20 degree weather feel like 20 degree
                  weather even in slight winds that might make 20 degree weather feel
                  more like 10 degree weather or worse. Of course, the winter tarp is
                  more complex and has a weight penalty so it is difficult to say that
                  the same comfort couldn't be had using other insulation techniques
                  that were simplier and maybe even more weight efficient. At the
                  least, it is another approach that some folks might prefer and some
                  might not (it is sorta a hammock tent made out of a flat tarp),
                  however, it does give you some 'room' where you are out of the wind.

                  The closed cell foam kinda worked. I basically had a stack of three
                  of the standard blue 3/8" closed cell foam pads from REI (they
                  weren't all the same length but they were all 24" wide). These kept
                  me warm enough, but after 14 hours on them on a long winter night, I
                  found that I need more cushioning for my tush (I felt almost
                  bruised). I also found that stuffing clothing to get insulation on
                  the edges around my shoulders was just too much trouble and that
                  using a section of a Zrest didn't work well because any air gap
                  allowed cool air to get to me. One night I substituted a 3/4 length
                  Ridgerest for one of my longer 3/8" pads and this felt a whole lot
                  better on my tush, so from no on I will use that when I am stacking
                  multiple pads and will place it on top of the stack. I am also
                  replacing my 24"x44" cut & taped pad with my 30"x44" cut & taped pad
                  so that I won't need extra insulation around my shoulders. The cut &
                  tapped pads fold accordian style into a 24"x11" stack or 30x11" stack
                  and are used as the back support/cushion for my Golite Breeze
                  backpack. The wider 30" pad means that the pads will have to extend
                  5" into my extension collar when it is in my backpack. Anyway, what
                  I used were three stacked pads: one 3/8"x24"x44" and two 3/8"x24"x56"
                  with a seperate 3/8"x20"x11" in my backpack under my feet. What I
                  would take if I had a 'do-over' would be a stack of three pads: one
                  3/8"x30"x44", one 3/8"x24"x67" (I taped the foot pad onto the 56"
                  long pad) and one 5/8"x20"x48" Ridgerest pad on top.

                  I must say that I took a lot longer to make/break camp than Ed did
                  with his 'mountain of down' and I was more worried about me staying
                  warm than I was about Ed staying warm... I think Ed has this figured
                  out better than I do.

                  Oh yeah, there were a couple of things that I have used before that
                  also worked well on this trip. I have accessory cords tied into the
                  knots of my two-layer hammock so that I can attach my pads to the
                  same postion every time. They worked fine, just as the have in the
                  past. Also, the shock cord harness system that I have for attaching
                  two closed cell foam pads on the back of my Golite Breeze backpack
                  performed fine and didn't have any breakdowns.

                  So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                  Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                  Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                  Fontana Dam?

                  Dave
                  aka Youngblood
                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004

                    > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                    > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                    > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                    > Fontana Dam?
                    >
                    > Dave
                    > aka Youngblood

                    Dave

                    well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
                    time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
                    penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got sick
                    on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont mind
                    hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                    is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                    anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
                    trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
                    when I get a few free days.

                    Coy Boy
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                      Coy,

                      Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
                      crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
                      the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT at
                      Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.

                      Dave

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                      <dpwomble@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                      > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                      > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                      > > Fontana Dam?
                      > >
                      > > Dave
                      > > aka Youngblood
                      >
                      > Dave
                      >
                      > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
                      > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
                      > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
                      sick
                      > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
                      mind
                      > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                      > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                      > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
                      > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
                      > when I get a few free days.
                      >
                      > Coy Boy
                    • Coy
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                        Three Forks sounds good but whichever works better fo parking. In
                        fact any section will do. and loop hiking or in and back is ok. ie
                        parking both vehicles at the same place, or the shuttle where we
                        meet at the ending, leave one vehicle and drive to start in the
                        other. I'll holler as sonn as I see an opening. Will see if Paul is
                        available too.

                        Coy Boy

                        > Coy,
                        >
                        > Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
                        > crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
                        > the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT
                        at
                        > Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.
                        >
                        > Dave

                        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                        > <dpwomble@y...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > >

                        > > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast?
                        The
                        > > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The
                        Foothills
                        > > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south
                        of
                        > > > Fontana Dam?
                        > > >
                        > > > Dave
                        > > > aka Youngblood
                        > >
                        > > Dave
                        > >
                        > > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more
                        free
                        > > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters.
                        The
                        > > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
                        > sick
                        > > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
                        > mind
                        > > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                        > > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                        > > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the
                        same
                        > > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will
                        holler
                        > > when I get a few free days.
                        > >
                        > > Coy Boy
                      • biker135803
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                          Coy and Dave,
                          Count me in on ANY winter hike. I jus got rid of a flock of
                          Christmas guests and only hunting season stands in the way. Hunting
                          days can be shuffled to accommodate hiking. Gotta use my DAM again.
                          Paul
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                            OK--I'm jealous guys. I know I just got home from a winter hike with Dave,
                            but I guess you never get enough. And this warm weather is definitely not
                            helping--feels like spring around here! I can't seem to get back into the
                            dedication of office work--oh well, I know you guys will have a good
                            hike--Dave is awesom with the maps! I am back off to Neels Gap tonight and
                            Springer Mtn tomorrow am--droping Linguini off on his hike to Key West.
                            Then it's back to the sweat shop know as hammock manufacturing. LOL! ...Ed

                            Hammock Camping (the book) ISBN 0-9718594-4-2
                            The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
                            also FREE Reports! FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!
                            http://www.hammockcamping.com

                            Speer Hammocks, Inc
                            Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                            34 Clear Creek Road
                            Marion, NC 28752-6407
                            828.724.4444
                            http://www.speerhammocks.com
                            info@...

                            Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                            free online newsletter
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News
                            http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

                            Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                            a free open discussion group Learn from the experts
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

                          • Mark Hooper
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                              Hey Ed,
                              I got your book yesterday and couldn't put it down without finishing. I look forward to meeting you sometime on one of the campouts (if HH's are alllowed).

                              Mark Hooper
                              Charleston SC