RE: [Hammock Camping] Wallcreeper sleeping bag

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Chet:

      I own a WallCreeper medium with synthetic fill. It's fine, if a little snug
      at the chest with my arms inside. It IS a fun bag for hopping in and out of
      a hammock. No worries about repositioning everything.

      However, I have come to prefer using a simple quilt, as it wastes no
      material in compression beneath me, and can be stuffed between me and a cold
      spot.

      I do consider the money well spent on the Exped bag, though. Great materials
      and workmanship, plus a storage bag that doubles as a mosquito net.

      Bear
    • Chet Clocksin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        Bear,
        Thanks for the info. I don't have a quilt, but I always use my mummy bag opened up as a quilt, and it works great. My only problem is that my bag weighs almost 3 pounds. I 'm considering the Wallcreeper so I could use it as a quilt, and also as a jacket for messing around at camp. Do you use the Wallcreeper much as a jacket (vest) ?

        Chet
        I own a WallCreeper medium with synthetic fill. It's fine, if a little snug
        at the chest with my arms inside. It IS a fun bag for hopping in and out of
        a hammock. No worries about repositioning everything.

        However, I have come to prefer using a simple quilt, as it wastes no
        material in compression beneath me, and can be stuffed between me and a cold
        spot.

        I do consider the money well spent on the Exped bag, though. Great materials
        and workmanship, plus a storage bag that doubles as a mosquito net.

        Bear

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          Chet:

          I'm in Florida, so there isn't all that much cold weather to deal with. I've used the bag down to the high 40s as a quilt. It works fine that way, and could probably go lower. I just haven't done it.

          I've worn it as a jacket -- vest really, as there are no arms -- and it does well that way too. My experience is limited to hopping out to visit the trees, or spending a half-hour in it (as a vest) while puttering around getting my breakfast things ready. I haven't worn it when cooking, so I don't know if it would be a worry around open flame.

          I usually only pull it up part way, so it goes down to my knees. That's pretty convenient, being able to adjust the length of coverage.