Wallcreeper sleeping bag

  • Chet Clocksin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2003
      Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the Wallcreeper by Exped?
      http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/slpng_bg/exped_wallcreeper_dn.html
      I'm specifically interested in the proportions of the bag, as I am 5' 11",
      and weigh 220. (Soon to be less...New Years Resolution! ). The link above
      shows a 5' 11 guy in the bag, even though Exped says the bag is recommended
      for people up to 5' 9". I'm wondering if I can get by with the medium size.
      Also, I'm wondering about the temp ratings. The Down version is rated at 32
      F, and the Primaloft version is rated at 40 F. I like the sounds of the Down
      bad for warmth, but because the bag can and will be used as a coat (long
      vest), I am leaning toward the Primaloft version due to the ability to
      maintain insulative properties if it gets wet. Seems like the ideal hammock
      bag, as well as a nice way to combine two items into one and get benefit
      from the weight savings. Thanks,

      Chet
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        Chet:

        I own a WallCreeper medium with synthetic fill. It's fine, if a little snug
        at the chest with my arms inside. It IS a fun bag for hopping in and out of
        a hammock. No worries about repositioning everything.

        However, I have come to prefer using a simple quilt, as it wastes no
        material in compression beneath me, and can be stuffed between me and a cold
        spot.

        I do consider the money well spent on the Exped bag, though. Great materials
        and workmanship, plus a storage bag that doubles as a mosquito net.

        Bear
      • Chet Clocksin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
          Bear,
          Thanks for the info. I don't have a quilt, but I always use my mummy bag opened up as a quilt, and it works great. My only problem is that my bag weighs almost 3 pounds. I 'm considering the Wallcreeper so I could use it as a quilt, and also as a jacket for messing around at camp. Do you use the Wallcreeper much as a jacket (vest) ?

          Chet
          I own a WallCreeper medium with synthetic fill. It's fine, if a little snug
          at the chest with my arms inside. It IS a fun bag for hopping in and out of
          a hammock. No worries about repositioning everything.

          However, I have come to prefer using a simple quilt, as it wastes no
          material in compression beneath me, and can be stuffed between me and a cold
          spot.

          I do consider the money well spent on the Exped bag, though. Great materials
          and workmanship, plus a storage bag that doubles as a mosquito net.

          Bear

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
            Chet:

            I'm in Florida, so there isn't all that much cold weather to deal with. I've used the bag down to the high 40s as a quilt. It works fine that way, and could probably go lower. I just haven't done it.

            I've worn it as a jacket -- vest really, as there are no arms -- and it does well that way too. My experience is limited to hopping out to visit the trees, or spending a half-hour in it (as a vest) while puttering around getting my breakfast things ready. I haven't worn it when cooking, so I don't know if it would be a worry around open flame.

            I usually only pull it up part way, so it goes down to my knees. That's pretty convenient, being able to adjust the length of coverage.