Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Ed's Winter Hammock Hike

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 29, 2003
      Karen,

      I'm glad to hear they are doing well. My plan is still to hike the
      approach trail from Amacola Falls SP on NYE during the day. I will
      drive down to near there tomorrow and spend the night in camper.

      See y'all there.

      Rick

      Karen Sousa wrote:

      >I spoke with Ed yesterday. He and Youngblood are having a great hike.
      >The first couple of days were quite chilly with highs in the low 30s
      >but the daytime temps have been in the 50's the last couple of days
      >and they have had some really great hiking. They have both been able
      >to stay warm. Ed says the down peapod prototype is working great! The
      >plan is still to meet both of them at Springer on NYE and we hope
      >y'all can make it up there.
      >
      >I'm looking forward to trying out my birthday and Christmas presents!
      >
      >Karen

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 30, 2003
        Karen

        I was thinking about them at yesterday at work. It started raining
        around 1 PM so i imagin it was closer to dark before they got wet.
        Still it raind hard even at 7 PM last night so i imagine they had
        rain most of the night. I have to work NYD or I'd try my best to get
        over there. Tell em Coy Boy says hi. Oh and hi Rick, have fun.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Sousa" <karens62@a...>
        wrote:
        > I spoke with Ed yesterday. He and Youngblood are having a great
        hike.
        > The first couple of days were quite chilly with highs in the low
        30s
        > but the daytime temps have been in the 50's the last couple of
        days
        > and they have had some really great hiking. They have both been
        able
        > to stay warm. Ed says the down peapod prototype is working great!
        The
        > plan is still to meet both of them at Springer on NYE and we hope
        > y'all can make it up there.
        >
        > I'm looking forward to trying out my birthday and Christmas
        presents!

        > Karen
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...>
        wrote:
        > > I leave tomorrow on my 90 mile hike of the Benton MaKaye Trail,
        TN
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
          Happy New Year all!

          My 85 mi hike on the Benton MacKaye Trail went very well. Youngblood and I
          left the north trailhead in TN on 23 Dec and reached the southern trailhead
          on Springer Mtn, GA 30 Dec. We skipped some of the road walks, but the rest
          of the trail is very enjoyable with high mountain ridges and riverside
          traverses. The weather was almost perfect with cold nights and cool days
          (18-55F). Rain fell only twice--both times at night after we had already
          set up camp. Some cold wind above 3,000' provided a real test. In fact, we
          were able to test our stay-warm hammock gear in varying conditions and
          elevations. A more detailed trip report will be in the January Hammock
          Camping newsletter (due soon!).

          Youngblood certainly won the smallest backpack prize and put me to shame,
          but we were both carrying extra gear for the actual field testing. Dave's
          "Winter Tarp" was also a clear winner in the cold wind. However, we both
          stayed warm--Dave with his multiple closed-cell foam pads and me with my
          down PeaPods and Top Blankets.

          The highlight of the trip was certainly the hiker gathering atop Springer
          Mtn on New Year's Eve! We had about 25 hikers, including about 5
          southbounders who were finishing their AT thru hike! Everyone enjoyed the
          unseasonably warm temps and clear sky. Good food and drink were enjoyed by
          all. The sunset on NYE and sunrise on NYD were absolutly awesome--a fitting
          way to end one year and start another one! Karen and I hammocked without
          tarps and watched the moon and stars for hours and then watched with awe as
          the sun slowly rose above the mountain ridge to the east! Risk drove from
          Ohio and also set up his hammock near the summit--thanks for showing me all
          of your home-made gear Risk; very well done.

          For those who missed this gathering--you'll not have another chance until
          next year. Plan now to attend!
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
            Ed (and Dave)

            sounds like an awsome trip. Will be looking for all the details in
            the news letter. Done looked at my scedual for next year. work new
            years day again. shucks! who said retirment aint all the great.

            Coy Boy

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
              Ed & All,

              I finally got around to putting some info together with my trip
              photos. They can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/29n86 .

              Youngblood

            • Risk
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                It really was fun spending New Year's atop Springer. On returning, I
                can not believe I have no pictures of the hammocks! Many thanks to Ed
                and Karen for their introductions all around to many of their friends
                and also for the ride back to my car at Amacoloa Falls.

                Link to my photo journal from the overnight hike is:

                http://www.imrisk.com/springernewyear/springer.htm

                I also changed the banner photo on my homepage to one of the Springer
                photos. See:

                http://www.imrisk.com

                Oh, and Ed, about that newsletter...

                It is now January 2nd (inside joke)

                from Risk, Rick, and the rest of us.
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Dave Womble wrote:

                  >Ed & All,
                  >
                  >I finally got around to putting some info together with my trip
                  >photos. They can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/29n86 .
                  >
                  >Youngblood

                  Great photos Dave. Looks like you had a ball. Sorry to miss you on the
                  31st.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                    Coy, we'll also run a few Hammock Hangers trips throughout the year, so you
                    should have a chance to make one of them. Schedule not set yet--we'll
                    surely return to the Chattooga River again...Ed
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                      I was waiting for that Rick! Guess I deserve it thou. Maybe tomorrow--I'm
                      too tired to finish it tonight...Ed

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
                        > Great photos Dave. Looks like you had a ball. Sorry to miss you
                        on the
                        > 31st.
                        >
                        > Rick

                        Rick,

                        Sorry I missed you. We finished a day early, I was only a couple of
                        hours from home and I had been out in the woods for a while... so I
                        bolted for home instead of killing time for a day in north GA. In my
                        defense, I spent a lot of time in north GA this year. I was at the
                        outfitters at Neels Gap for a couple of hours the weekend before
                        Thanksgiving with a group of hikers that were involved with a seminar
                        that REI put on. Wished you could have joined us for the last leg of
                        the hike, we could have adjusted or mileage to meet you near the last
                        paved road crossing and hike the last day & a half with you. Maybe I
                        will catch up with you on another trip.

                        Ed & I both learned a lot from the trip. Some things worked well,
                        others didn't quite work as well as we hoped. But we were able to
                        handle what we ran in to.

                        The winter tarp worked pretty well except for my waterproofing job
                        and I also need to add a few more stakes to keep in more taut. I may
                        want to add some shock cord with limits to maintain the tautness when
                        the silnylon stretches. I believe it only trapped a couple of
                        degrees of heat, but more importantly, it keep me from losing heat
                        from the occasional swirls & breezes that are unavoidable unless you
                        are completely concealed from the wind. I think that this helped a
                        good bit when the temperature dropped to the lower limit of my
                        insulation... it kinda makes 20 degree weather feel like 20 degree
                        weather even in slight winds that might make 20 degree weather feel
                        more like 10 degree weather or worse. Of course, the winter tarp is
                        more complex and has a weight penalty so it is difficult to say that
                        the same comfort couldn't be had using other insulation techniques
                        that were simplier and maybe even more weight efficient. At the
                        least, it is another approach that some folks might prefer and some
                        might not (it is sorta a hammock tent made out of a flat tarp),
                        however, it does give you some 'room' where you are out of the wind.

                        The closed cell foam kinda worked. I basically had a stack of three
                        of the standard blue 3/8" closed cell foam pads from REI (they
                        weren't all the same length but they were all 24" wide). These kept
                        me warm enough, but after 14 hours on them on a long winter night, I
                        found that I need more cushioning for my tush (I felt almost
                        bruised). I also found that stuffing clothing to get insulation on
                        the edges around my shoulders was just too much trouble and that
                        using a section of a Zrest didn't work well because any air gap
                        allowed cool air to get to me. One night I substituted a 3/4 length
                        Ridgerest for one of my longer 3/8" pads and this felt a whole lot
                        better on my tush, so from no on I will use that when I am stacking
                        multiple pads and will place it on top of the stack. I am also
                        replacing my 24"x44" cut & taped pad with my 30"x44" cut & taped pad
                        so that I won't need extra insulation around my shoulders. The cut &
                        tapped pads fold accordian style into a 24"x11" stack or 30x11" stack
                        and are used as the back support/cushion for my Golite Breeze
                        backpack. The wider 30" pad means that the pads will have to extend
                        5" into my extension collar when it is in my backpack. Anyway, what
                        I used were three stacked pads: one 3/8"x24"x44" and two 3/8"x24"x56"
                        with a seperate 3/8"x20"x11" in my backpack under my feet. What I
                        would take if I had a 'do-over' would be a stack of three pads: one
                        3/8"x30"x44", one 3/8"x24"x67" (I taped the foot pad onto the 56"
                        long pad) and one 5/8"x20"x48" Ridgerest pad on top.

                        I must say that I took a lot longer to make/break camp than Ed did
                        with his 'mountain of down' and I was more worried about me staying
                        warm than I was about Ed staying warm... I think Ed has this figured
                        out better than I do.

                        Oh yeah, there were a couple of things that I have used before that
                        also worked well on this trip. I have accessory cords tied into the
                        knots of my two-layer hammock so that I can attach my pads to the
                        same postion every time. They worked fine, just as the have in the
                        past. Also, the shock cord harness system that I have for attaching
                        two closed cell foam pads on the back of my Golite Breeze backpack
                        performed fine and didn't have any breakdowns.

                        So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                        Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                        Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                        Fontana Dam?

                        Dave
                        aka Youngblood
                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004

                          > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                          > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                          > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                          > Fontana Dam?
                          >
                          > Dave
                          > aka Youngblood

                          Dave

                          well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
                          time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
                          penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got sick
                          on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont mind
                          hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                          is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                          anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
                          trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
                          when I get a few free days.

                          Coy Boy
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                            Coy,

                            Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
                            crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
                            the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT at
                            Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.

                            Dave

                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                            <dpwomble@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            >

                            > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                            > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                            > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                            > > Fontana Dam?
                            > >
                            > > Dave
                            > > aka Youngblood
                            >
                            > Dave
                            >
                            > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
                            > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
                            > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
                            sick
                            > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
                            mind
                            > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                            > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                            > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
                            > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
                            > when I get a few free days.
                            >
                            > Coy Boy
                          • Coy
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                              Three Forks sounds good but whichever works better fo parking. In
                              fact any section will do. and loop hiking or in and back is ok. ie
                              parking both vehicles at the same place, or the shuttle where we
                              meet at the ending, leave one vehicle and drive to start in the
                              other. I'll holler as sonn as I see an opening. Will see if Paul is
                              available too.

                              Coy Boy

                              > Coy,
                              >
                              > Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
                              > crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
                              > the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT
                              at
                              > Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.
                              >
                              > Dave

                              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                              > <dpwomble@y...>
                              > > wrote:
                              > >

                              > > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast?
                              The
                              > > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The
                              Foothills
                              > > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south
                              of
                              > > > Fontana Dam?
                              > > >
                              > > > Dave
                              > > > aka Youngblood
                              > >
                              > > Dave
                              > >
                              > > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more
                              free
                              > > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters.
                              The
                              > > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
                              > sick
                              > > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
                              > mind
                              > > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                              > > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                              > > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the
                              same
                              > > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will
                              holler
                              > > when I get a few free days.
                              > >
                              > > Coy Boy
                            • biker135803
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                                Coy and Dave,
                                Count me in on ANY winter hike. I jus got rid of a flock of
                                Christmas guests and only hunting season stands in the way. Hunting
                                days can be shuffled to accommodate hiking. Gotta use my DAM again.
                                Paul
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                                  OK--I'm jealous guys. I know I just got home from a winter hike with Dave,
                                  but I guess you never get enough. And this warm weather is definitely not
                                  helping--feels like spring around here! I can't seem to get back into the
                                  dedication of office work--oh well, I know you guys will have a good
                                  hike--Dave is awesom with the maps! I am back off to Neels Gap tonight and
                                  Springer Mtn tomorrow am--droping Linguini off on his hike to Key West.
                                  Then it's back to the sweat shop know as hammock manufacturing. LOL! ...Ed

                                  Hammock Camping (the book) ISBN 0-9718594-4-2
                                  The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
                                  also FREE Reports! FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!
                                  http://www.hammockcamping.com

                                  Speer Hammocks, Inc
                                  Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                                  34 Clear Creek Road
                                  Marion, NC 28752-6407
                                  828.724.4444
                                  http://www.speerhammocks.com
                                  info@...

                                  Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                                  free online newsletter
                                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News
                                  http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

                                  Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                                  a free open discussion group Learn from the experts
                                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

                                • Mark Hooper
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                                    Hey Ed,
                                    I got your book yesterday and couldn't put it down without finishing. I look forward to meeting you sometime on one of the campouts (if HH's are alllowed).

                                    Mark Hooper
                                    Charleston SC