Re: Hammock Camping Bottom Almost Quilt for HH...

  • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 5, 2003
      <snip>
      I look forward to all the experiments everyone is doing with the
      cold.

      GGGGGoooodddd tttttooo haaaaave youuuu alllloonnnnnng - ;)

      Tim
    • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 5, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "geoflyfisher
        <geoflyfisher@y...>" <geoflyfisher@y...> wrote:
        > Very well said as always! I think the improvement made by the
        > insulation is in the break-up of convection currents without adding
        > conduction paths.

        That's true, but as you know, heat is transferred by either
        conduction, convection or radiation. Actually in our instance, by
        all three simutaneously. But, by creating millions of 'cells' of
        dead air space, each one becomes more stable with regards to dynamic
        changes. The overall effect on a macroscopic view is an insulating
        layer. But, on a microscopic view, each little cell is doing it's
        own thing. Just like the fiberglass insulation in you house walls.
        If it was just to create a dead air space, then there would be no
        need for the 'pain-in-the-a@#-to-install' stuff. Rather, by creating
        millions of little dead air spaces, a much more stable layer is
        created - which translates into much greater resistance to changein
        temperature.

        PS - I'm for the vapor layer. Radiant heat loss is real. It may be
        least important, but we are really trying to capture all heat that's
        available - so we sleep better. In my tests, I feel it's made a
        difference.
      • debweisenstein <dweisens@aer.com>
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 6, 2003
          Ed, what about an easy modification of the PeaPod to add mitten
          hooks or toggles to the inside of the Peapod along the edges of the
          hammock so that the PeaPod could be left open but attached to the
          hammock in a way that it couldn't sag. This would mimick the
          underquilts people are designing for the Hennessey and provide
          more flexibility. Also, do you ever keep the PeaPod attached to
          your hammock and stuff the whole thing together? Or roll up the
          hammock with foam pad inside?

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 6, 2003
            Message
            Good thinking Deb, but one can easily position the PeaPod the prevent this sag.  Since the PeaPod and my hammock both have Velcro along the long edges, the PeaPod can be Velcroed to one edge of the hammock and the other edge can be tucked inside the hammock far enought to eliminate the unwanted air space bleow.  Of course when the PePod is fully wrapped around the hammock, there is no botom sag anyway.

            And yes, I often keep the PeaPod and hammock together and stuff them together into my pack.  On a recent trip, my partner used the Moonbow Gearskin pack which easily allowed him to stuff the PeaPod, hammock, sleep pads, and sleeping bag all together into the pack at the same time--it was very simple and took only 1-2 minutes from take down to be fully packed!  Sure beats stuffing gear into tiny stuff bags on cold mornings!...Ed
          • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 6, 2003
              After my post yesterday... Thanks to all who responded with great
              ideas, I got an email off list pointing me to the Garlington
              insulator, a "taco" shell hanging below the hammock. R. Garlington
              (first name unknown to me) has a site describing the contraption at:

              http://www.mindspring.com/~rgarling/Insulator.htm

              I built one last night, having a bit of silnylon on hand for a
              project I will not do, and hope to test it soon in our cold weather.

              Ed mentioned in his post that insulation is inefficient if a lot of
              sag exists between the hammock and the insulation. Great point, that
              I had forgotten. Since the warmth will be due to my body heating up
              the insulation area, a large space will take more energy to heat than
              a rather small space. (Vpor barrier warming methods are the ultamet
              end of this line of reasoning.) But having a couple inches of dead
              space can take less energy than having many inches of dead space...
              if there is little gradient across that dead space... ie if the space
              is not filled with many little spaces like down.

              The other problem is movement in the space. The more the space moves
              around, the more mixing occurs, and the more heat is lost by the
              enhanced convection.

              The Garlington insulator attempts to minimize this motion and a
              uniformly medium thick layer of dead space by sandwitching plastic
              gargage bags, partly inflated with air between the hammock and a
              silnylon shell.

              Well, its a great theory. And it is going to be cold tonight...
              maybe too cold at 10, but I may get a data point tonight or soon.