Re: haning my Hammock in Hawaii

  • uluheman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2003
      Tom--

      You don't say whether you intend to spend your entire stay on Maui,
      but, since you only have a week, that's what I'd recommend. There is
      no way at all that you could be bored during a week on Maui (nor on
      Kaua`i, the Big Island, O`ahu...).

      You can spend a night in the forest, for sure. For simple but
      picturesque and satisfying exploring, you cannot beat stopping almost
      anywhere along the road from Kahului to Hana and heading up one
      streambed or another. You'll get the idea once you're there. The
      spots that are easy to get to may be crowded with tourists, but if
      you just walk another 100', you'll probably have any place all to
      yourself, with plenty of waterfalls and jungle vegetation.

      I'm not a kayaker, but there should be opportunities on Maui. Just
      play it safe. The ocean here should be approached with caution, just
      as the mountains should.

      The premier hike on Maui is across Haleakala Crater, in the National
      Park. This is usually done as a 3-4 day trip, across by one route and
      back by another, though it's possible to cross and exit via Kaupo
      Gap, if you can arrange transportation. Or, you could visit the
      summit and then hang your hammock in the free campground at Hosmer
      Grove, near the park entrance. It'll be very cold there, though, at
      about 7,000 ft.

      There are great beaches all over Maui. Keep in mind that the dry side
      of the island is the Leeward Side (i.e., sort of the SW side).

      There are charming towns all over the island and lots of out-of-the-
      way places. Visiting Makawao and driving around the adjacent roads is
      a treat, for example. There are numerous settlements on the way to
      Hana and beyond, sometimes down dirt roads off the main highway. Paia
      is a funky sort of surfer/neo-hippy/former plantation town with a
      great natural food store (Mana Foods). The west side of West Maui is
      pretty, but highly impacted by large tourist developments, as is the
      Kihei/Makena strip. You'll land in Kahului, but the conjoined town of
      Wailuku is older and has a nicely patinaed downtown.

      For anyone on this list, though, satisfaction should be available
      anywhere you can find two trees, whether along the coast, up on the
      slopes of Haleakala or anywhere in between.

      Aloha,

      Brandon in Honolulu

    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2003
        Brandon,

        Thanks for the advise. I'm planning to play things by ear and I imagine
        I will have way to many things to do and way to few hours to accomplish
        this. I would love to hike about for several days but I doubt this will
        be possible. We will see.

        Yes I'm planning to stay put because I don't want to spend to much time
        stuck in a plane. But we will see.

        I have great respect for the ocean. I have been surfing and kayaking
        for many years and find fewer things more amazing than combining those
        tow. I will be carful and always aproach the ocean with respect but I'm
        looking forward to big waves and the conditions that Hawaii offers. I
        have been dreaming of surfing Hawaii for a long time. I am very excited
        about this opportunity.

        Again thanks for the advice and I'll talk to everybody when I get home.

        Tom
        Pura Vida