haning my Hammock in Hawaii

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2003
      hi all, I've been quite busy lately and have not had time to follow
      what is going on. I justed stopped by the list for a minute and I see
      you have all been busy. That's great and I hope I can catch up again
      come the new year.

      This year looks to be an exciting year for traveling for me. I have
      lots of big trips planned an if they all go off this will be an epic
      year for me. To start the year, my little brother invedte me to join
      him iin Hawaii for a week. I leave the day after christmass and will
      not be back till just after the new year. This trip should be quite
      fun, I'll be on Maui for several days of relaxation. I was able to find
      a kayak to use while I"m there (this turned out to be quite a task).
      That makes me very happy. I"m hoping to find a chance to use my hammock
      and maybe even spend a night in the forrest when I'm there. I know we
      have at least one member of this group in Hawaii, Brandon, I was hoping
      you might have a suggestion as to were to go with so little time to see
      so many things.

      I also have a trip planned to Michigan this spring to watch my cousins
      graduate from High school. If all goes well I'm trying to hop over to
      Pensivania to see a freind of mine and get a few days in wondering about
      the appalation.

      My year starts out with traveling and I'm hoping that will set the theme
      for the entire year. Anyhow I'll chat with you all again after the new
      year. Everybody have a merry Christmass and a happy new year. Be safe,
      have fun and hang around in your hammocks a bit.

      Untill 2004,
      Tom Peltier
      Pura Vida
    • uluheman
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2003
        Tom--

        You don't say whether you intend to spend your entire stay on Maui,
        but, since you only have a week, that's what I'd recommend. There is
        no way at all that you could be bored during a week on Maui (nor on
        Kaua`i, the Big Island, O`ahu...).

        You can spend a night in the forest, for sure. For simple but
        picturesque and satisfying exploring, you cannot beat stopping almost
        anywhere along the road from Kahului to Hana and heading up one
        streambed or another. You'll get the idea once you're there. The
        spots that are easy to get to may be crowded with tourists, but if
        you just walk another 100', you'll probably have any place all to
        yourself, with plenty of waterfalls and jungle vegetation.

        I'm not a kayaker, but there should be opportunities on Maui. Just
        play it safe. The ocean here should be approached with caution, just
        as the mountains should.

        The premier hike on Maui is across Haleakala Crater, in the National
        Park. This is usually done as a 3-4 day trip, across by one route and
        back by another, though it's possible to cross and exit via Kaupo
        Gap, if you can arrange transportation. Or, you could visit the
        summit and then hang your hammock in the free campground at Hosmer
        Grove, near the park entrance. It'll be very cold there, though, at
        about 7,000 ft.

        There are great beaches all over Maui. Keep in mind that the dry side
        of the island is the Leeward Side (i.e., sort of the SW side).

        There are charming towns all over the island and lots of out-of-the-
        way places. Visiting Makawao and driving around the adjacent roads is
        a treat, for example. There are numerous settlements on the way to
        Hana and beyond, sometimes down dirt roads off the main highway. Paia
        is a funky sort of surfer/neo-hippy/former plantation town with a
        great natural food store (Mana Foods). The west side of West Maui is
        pretty, but highly impacted by large tourist developments, as is the
        Kihei/Makena strip. You'll land in Kahului, but the conjoined town of
        Wailuku is older and has a nicely patinaed downtown.

        For anyone on this list, though, satisfaction should be available
        anywhere you can find two trees, whether along the coast, up on the
        slopes of Haleakala or anywhere in between.

        Aloha,

        Brandon in Honolulu

      • Thomas
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 23, 2003
          Brandon,

          Thanks for the advise. I'm planning to play things by ear and I imagine
          I will have way to many things to do and way to few hours to accomplish
          this. I would love to hike about for several days but I doubt this will
          be possible. We will see.

          Yes I'm planning to stay put because I don't want to spend to much time
          stuck in a plane. But we will see.

          I have great respect for the ocean. I have been surfing and kayaking
          for many years and find fewer things more amazing than combining those
          tow. I will be carful and always aproach the ocean with respect but I'm
          looking forward to big waves and the conditions that Hawaii offers. I
          have been dreaming of surfing Hawaii for a long time. I am very excited
          about this opportunity.

          Again thanks for the advice and I'll talk to everybody when I get home.

          Tom
          Pura Vida