your thoughts please on freezing bladders while hammocking.....

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 2003
      In my tenting days (and I'm thinking back to Blue Mtn. last February)
      I would scoop out (best as I could if ground was frozen) a space
      where I thought my legs would be after setting up the Akto, then I
      would place my bladder (that's drinking bladder thank you very much)
      in the depression, then lay my closed cell over the bladder (this is
      all inside the tent now) then of course the sleeping bag....never had
      a bladder freeze even at Cheoah Bald and 4.6degree morning (the
      drinking tube did freeze soon after hiking though)......
      so now that we are progressing toward colder and colder hikes with
      hammocks do we have to put the bladder/canteen whatever in the
      sleeping bag with us?
      Medicine Man
    • subypower
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 22, 2003
        a couple of simple thoughts:

        use it as a pillow

        use it as a hot water bottle ( i know uses fuel )

        put it on top of your underquilt ( oh sorry i need one more order
        before you get that ( shameless plug ))under your hammock

        dont make water till morning

        and what i have done is a simple hand warmer ( the iron oxide type )
        and the water bottle wrapped in a t shirt this last works till about
        10 degrees or at least partially when you wrap it in a fleece shirt
        or similar item

        white knight

        ps to all the peolpe who want under quilts pay attention to e mail
        tommarrow night