Re: rainfly hanging

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
      I am leaving in the morning for a backpacking trip so I don't know if
      I will see your answer before I leave. I don't quite understand how
      you are going to attach your rainfly. I haven't tried attaching a
      rectangular rainfly to the hammock straps, the Hennessy I have uses a
      diamond shape rainfly and the hammock has very restricted/limited
      swinging because it also utilizes side pullouts on the body of the
      hammock. I use a rectangular rainfly with my Speer. With the diamond
      shaped Hennessy fly there are four attachment points, two on the
      ridgeline and two on the sides. With a rectangular shape there are a
      minimum of six attachment points, two along the ridgeline and one on
      each of the four corners. Where are you thinking about attaching the
      four corners? If you attach the fly to the hammock strap and then
      attach its two adjacent corners to the ground, I thing you will be
      putting a lot of stress on these corner tie outs when the hammock
      tries to swing and I would worry that you might damage your fly.
      There is also a potential to damage your fly if you attach it to the
      ridgeline and the fly tries to act as a taut ridgeline. Be careful.
      I am very happy attaching my rectangular fly seperately from my Speer
      Hammock attachment straps. Like Rick said, it gives you more
      flexibility in the rain and I think all in all, it will be easier to
      keep the rain fly taut without damaging it. Let us know what you try
      and how it turns out. Good luck with it.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mindrehab248"
      <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
      <dpwomble@y...>
      > >What kind of hammock are you using?
      >
      > Speer hammock.
      >
      > >However, with a smallish rainfly, you may end up with better rain
      > >protection if you attach the rainfly to the hammock straps because
      > >that configuration gets the rainfly as close as possible to the
      > >hammock.
      >
      > I'd be using the 8x10 rainfly. I was thinking that I could attach
      the
      > head end of the fly to the hammock strap, then tie out the foot
      ends
      > of the fly to get ventilation and decrease the "coffin feel" of the
      > completely and tightly covered hammock.
    • Chet Clocksin
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
        Patrick, I do have a ridgeline tied on my hammock, but I don't hang the fly from it. I typically tie the fly seperately to the same trees the hammock is tied up to. Some hammocks, like the Hennessey hammocks, actually attach the fly to the hanging ropes via a prussik knot at each end of the fly, and you tension the fly by sliding the prussik knots apart to take up slack. I like tying my fly to the trees seperately because in fair weather you can tie it high enough to be able to stand under it, and it will still function well to keep you protected from the rain or the sun. If you encounter conditions with higher wind/rain, you can lower the fly for complete coverage. Ed covers this thoroughly in his book, along with lots of other great tips.

        Chet