Re: [Hammock Camping] rainfly hanging

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
      mindrehab248 wrote:

      >How do people hang their rainfly?

      Patrick,

      I hang my hammock from the trees so that I can pack up the hammock while
      the tarp is still up. It also lets me put the tarp up for lunch if I am
      tired of walking around in the rain.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mindrehab248"
        <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
        > How do people hang their rainfly? Seems like it would be easiest to
        > attach it to the hanging straps from the hammock, but is there a
        > better way? Chet, I believe, mentioned that he has a ridgeline tied
        > just past both of the hammock knots in order to get the same setup
        > each time. Is the fly/tarp hung from that ridgeline? What type of
        > rope and what knot were used to tie the ridgeline? Thanks for the
        > help! Patrick

        Patrick,

        Some backpacking hammock systems are designed to use the hammock
        straps for the rainfly attachment and some aren't. What kind of
        hammock are you using?

        For instance, the Hennessy is designed to use the hammock straps
        while the Speer and Clark are not. I have found that the rainfly has
        better and more consistant tensioning if it is not attached to the
        hammock straps (at least not both ends). When you get in the hammock
        the hammock straps move around some and this changes the tensioning
        of the rainfly if it is attached to the hammock straps. However,
        with a smallish rainfly, you may end up with better rain protection
        if you attach the rainfly to the hammock straps because that
        configuration gets the rainfly as close as possible to the hammock.

        Youngblood
      • mindrehab248
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
          >What kind of hammock are you using?

          Speer hammock.

          >However, with a smallish rainfly, you may end up with better rain
          >protection if you attach the rainfly to the hammock straps because
          >that configuration gets the rainfly as close as possible to the
          >hammock.

          I'd be using the 8x10 rainfly. I was thinking that I could attach the
          head end of the fly to the hammock strap, then tie out the foot ends
          of the fly to get ventilation and decrease the "coffin feel" of the
          completely and tightly covered hammock.
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
            I am leaving in the morning for a backpacking trip so I don't know if
            I will see your answer before I leave. I don't quite understand how
            you are going to attach your rainfly. I haven't tried attaching a
            rectangular rainfly to the hammock straps, the Hennessy I have uses a
            diamond shape rainfly and the hammock has very restricted/limited
            swinging because it also utilizes side pullouts on the body of the
            hammock. I use a rectangular rainfly with my Speer. With the diamond
            shaped Hennessy fly there are four attachment points, two on the
            ridgeline and two on the sides. With a rectangular shape there are a
            minimum of six attachment points, two along the ridgeline and one on
            each of the four corners. Where are you thinking about attaching the
            four corners? If you attach the fly to the hammock strap and then
            attach its two adjacent corners to the ground, I thing you will be
            putting a lot of stress on these corner tie outs when the hammock
            tries to swing and I would worry that you might damage your fly.
            There is also a potential to damage your fly if you attach it to the
            ridgeline and the fly tries to act as a taut ridgeline. Be careful.
            I am very happy attaching my rectangular fly seperately from my Speer
            Hammock attachment straps. Like Rick said, it gives you more
            flexibility in the rain and I think all in all, it will be easier to
            keep the rain fly taut without damaging it. Let us know what you try
            and how it turns out. Good luck with it.

            Youngblood

            <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
            <dpwomble@y...>
            > >What kind of hammock are you using?
            >
            > Speer hammock.
            >
            > >However, with a smallish rainfly, you may end up with better rain
            > >protection if you attach the rainfly to the hammock straps because
            > >that configuration gets the rainfly as close as possible to the
            > >hammock.
            >
            > I'd be using the 8x10 rainfly. I was thinking that I could attach
            the
            > head end of the fly to the hammock strap, then tie out the foot
            ends
            > of the fly to get ventilation and decrease the "coffin feel" of the
            > completely and tightly covered hammock.
          • Chet Clocksin
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
              Patrick, I do have a ridgeline tied on my hammock, but I don't hang the fly from it. I typically tie the fly seperately to the same trees the hammock is tied up to. Some hammocks, like the Hennessey hammocks, actually attach the fly to the hanging ropes via a prussik knot at each end of the fly, and you tension the fly by sliding the prussik knots apart to take up slack. I like tying my fly to the trees seperately because in fair weather you can tie it high enough to be able to stand under it, and it will still function well to keep you protected from the rain or the sun. If you encounter conditions with higher wind/rain, you can lower the fly for complete coverage. Ed covers this thoroughly in his book, along with lots of other great tips.

              Chet